• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Colleenka- your squares look great!

That hat pattern is adorable, too.

Ok...here are two pictures of my ideas.

th_crochetandsuch008.jpg

th_crochetandsuch007.jpg

The first picture was my initial idea, I was going to do squares then sew them together. However, yesterday I found the flat-braid joining method for yoyo's, and I think now I will do that instead (which is the second photo), even though it means more weaving of ends and such. I think it looks a lot better, anyway. :clap

I agree....I like the second picture too! :yes I may join this CAL after the first of the year. I already have motifs going to two seperate "scrap" afghans. One is a pretty traditional granny's daughter...I think I have about 600 motifs right now (I do them as I finish a skein of yarn and then store them). The second one is a baby afghan I found that uses yo-yo's. I started that one after I had made a gift for a friend. It was a multicolor yarn, and I couldn't find the same dye lot for a new project. So, I thought the yo-yo pattern would be a good way to use up the yarn and not have to worry about the dye lot. :hook "AND".....I have plans to make a third scrapghan. That's it....I'm officially nuts! :yay

Okay....break time's over! Time to get back to my Rectangles for the Troops! Go Team HAP!!! :cheer

Stacy, I love it! That is going to look fabulous - no matter which version you choose. I love the brights.

Great news! I raided my mom's yarn stash today and found more than enough cream yarn to finish my 'ghan. This will make it a true scrap ghan with no need to buy any yarn - hooray!

I also grabbed a bunch of scraps in bright, fun colours from my mom's stash and am already thinking about a second scrapghan. I can't wait to see what everyone is doing for ideas and inspiration.

Great news! I raided my mom's yarn stash today and found more than enough cream yarn to finish my 'ghan. This will make it a true scrap ghan with no need to buy any yarn - hooray!

I also grabbed a bunch of scraps in bright, fun colours from my mom's stash and am already thinking about a second scrapghan. I can't wait to see what everyone is doing for ideas and inspiration.

I don't know why....but this just made me laugh! :lol You should think about making a scrapghan for your mom! Wouldn't she be surprised to see her yarn stash done up in a beautiful afghan from you?

By the way, what is a chapeau?

its a Hat that is the center of the square-- if you search the show and tell afghan forum there is a photo of one that someone just did - sorry i don't remember her name

I don't know why....but this just made me laugh! :lol You should think about making a scrapghan for your mom! Wouldn't she be surprised to see her yarn stash done up in a beautiful afghan from you?

That is funny! I just might do that. I was telling her that all I could think of while I was crocheting was the original project that the yarn was used for. This 'ghan is a half moon shawl, two sweaters for my dd and a purse. If I made her a scrapghan it would hold many years of knitting and crochet history.

To tell you the truth, she was glad to see some of her scraps go. I kept saying things like, "Mom, you could make a nice baby sweater out of this" or "this yarn would probably felt nice, Mom, you should make a purse". Hmmm, maybe I'll raid her stash again and make her a felted purse! :lol

I tell you, though, between my scraps and my mom's I could probably keep myself busy for a while without buying any new yarn. That would make me, my Mom and my DH happy!

Can you still join this project or is it closed? I just strated a scrapghan and have about 10 rows on it, using Red Heart Blueberry Pie and White alternating. Just double crochet...that's the easy enough to watch Law and Order and crochet at the same time, lol!! If sign up is still open, I'm in too and will try to check in everyday. ;) Darlene

I have a scrap afghan I am working on called String of Pearls. I used work the granny and ripple patterns to use up scraps but this one is so much prettier. It's also easier to join the strips then most other designs. It is simply a string of popcorn stitches, 64 to each string, each worked in a different color. Then I am working in white around the whole strip using sc and chains of four between each popcorn with two sc at each end to turn. After that, I work the sc at the end and begin my joining by working an open shell consisting of a sc, dc, ch2, dc and sc. But when you begin to join the strips you don't ch2 at the center of the shells on one side. Instead you join the strips by a sc in the open shell of a previous strip.

If this sounds confusing for you let me know by PMing me and I will tell you where you can see a picture of this pattern.

Good luck with the yo-yos. It a great look even though it is a little difficult to get through. Don't get discouraged, just make those reststops every now and then. :crocheting

Darlene- it is open-ended, so of course you can still join. I am hoping to have mine finished as a Christmas gift for my mom but I really don't know if I'll even be done by then! LoL

Andrea2006, here is the link to the flat-braid join for yoyo's. It is actually not too difficult to do.

I can't decide if I want to do all of the yoyo's, then join them, or if I want to make a few, join a few, etc. I should probably join as I go, because my 1-y/o keeps getting into my crochet bag and emptying it out. :eek

Hi Stacy thank you for the link I saved it. I am hopin to find the book that has the one with the hats in it I think that is adorable, also there was a free pattern on Annies Attic not long ago with a scrap pattern on it I printed it out so now just to figure out where i stashed it lol.

Hi Stacy thank you for the link I saved it. I am hopin to find the book that has the one with the hats in it I think that is adorable, also there was a free pattern on Annies Attic not long ago with a scrap pattern on it I printed it out so now just to figure out where i stashed it lol.

LoL Don't you hate that? My problem is that I end up losing half of the pages, so I can only do half of the project. :lol

This afternoon I also just started the 3-strand scrapghan, although technically I am not using scraps. I've had 3 different skeins of yarn just sitting around for about the past year, I have no idea what to use them for. Put them together today and decided they will make a very cute scrap-ghan for my bedroom or living room. :manyheart

Hey everyone, I've been working on my scrap ghan. Need to get a pic but I want to wait a little longer so ya'll can see the shape a little better. It's a little curly right now. It will be nice and flat once all the pieces are sewn together though!!

Thanks

Julee

Hi all! My scrapghan is coming along and I started the second one today as well (I don't know why I do that to myself!). Anyway, it is going to be a baby ripple with stripes of many colours of scraps set in white.

Happy scrapghaning!

here are the first 4 squares and a close-up of my first lapghan- 12" squares so i can use up some singleton skeins!

th_pictures049.jpg

th_pictures050.jpg

and the "chapeau " i made from the last bit- this will be a true scrap ghan- tho i might have to get a background color!

th_pictures051.jpg

all are clickable

Very nice, Lynn. I love the colors!

I have to ask if you are using Red Heart. My mom sent me a bunch of random yarns she picked up last year and the yellow in your squares looks just like a skein she sent.

Another kind-of silly question...like I said, I started another scrap-ghan the other day, the 3-strand one. Well, what I'm wondering is...do I join the squares with 3 strands of yarn, also? And, if I do, then where do I find a needle that big? :blush

Very nice, Lynn. I love the colors!

I have to ask if you are using Red Heart. My mom sent me a bunch of random yarns she picked up last year and the yellow in your squares looks just like a skein she sent.

Another kind-of silly question...like I said, I started another scrap-ghan the other day, the 3-strand one. Well, what I'm wondering is...do I join the squares with 3 strands of yarn, also? And, if I do, then where do I find a needle that big? :blush

the variegated is RH jeweltones, the "yellow" is an odd ball-k-mart gold i think :think - sorry, the wrapper is gone

i would sew/crochet it together with one strand myself- but you can get three strands of yarn in the "yarn" needles i use- plastic canvas needles have a pretty big eye as well- that being said i always crochet my squares

together- anyway

I have almost 4 block things done (an 8 sided block. Whatever you call that?). They're turning out really nice. Can't wait till I get enough so I can start putting them together so I can show ya'll. I'm really loving it. It's really eyecatching and it's actually holding my attention!!

Julee

I'd like to join. I started a scrapghan a while back and just picked it back up again today. It will be a large two-person afghan. I'm working it in neutral and muted colors, mostly solids, some variegated. No pattern, just HDC in back loop only, back and forth width-ways.

Here is a pic I took a while back:

DSC01435.jpg

Quick question:

I've been making a starghan scrapghan, and I've gotten to the point that I planned to stop, but it's not quite as big as I imagined it would be.....

If I make it bigger, I'll have to make 10 more rows to keep it in pattern. That'll make it quite a bit bigger - it might not lie flat AND I'll have to buy more black yarn.

If I keep it as is, it's about 34 inches from point to point, but the center is only about 22 inches from valley to valley.

Is that big enough??

It looks like it might be good for a car seat, or to wrap around a very young baby. :think

(I posted this same question on the starghan cal, but haven't received an answer, so I'm posting here.)

What do you all think? :shrug

Well it sounds like to me you think it's too small. So I would start the next set of rows and see how it goes. If it starts to curl, take it out and if not, then buy more black to finish it.

Archived