Scrap-ghan-Along, anyone?

_Stacy_

Well it sounds like to me you think it's too small. So I would start the next set of rows and see how it goes. If it starts to curl, take it out and if not, then buy more black to finish it.

It's kind of tricky, I guess, because the points are a good size, but the center is a bit small. If I were to make the center larger, the points would be quite a bit bigger....

hhhhhmmmmmmm........

Maybe I'll look at it for a few days and see what I think.....

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

happy stitcher - I just completed a starghan. Mine is (very roughly measured) 50" point to point and 32" valley to valley. Now this is for a toddler and I made him a smaller one when he was born (probably about the size you've made). They are tough blankets to size.

I loved smaller blankets when my dd was a baby for the car or the stroller.

Hope this helps!

happy stitcher - I just completed a starghan. Mine is (very roughly measured) 50" point to point and 32" valley to valley. Now this is for a toddler and I made him a smaller one when he was born (probably about the size you've made). They are tough blankets to size.

I loved smaller blankets when my dd was a baby for the car or the stroller.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

I looked at it and looked at it last night. I spread it out and just looked as I passed by...I sat down and put it over my lap...and finally decided I'm happy with it. I put a reverse sc around the edge, and called it done!

Here are some pictures:

332208685.jpg

A DVD case is all I could think of to show the size.

332208595.jpg

Toby likes it!

I plan to pair it with some white, black, and red baby toys when I gift it. This is actually the first baby blanket I've made just to make.

It's made with worsted weight yarn, so now all I need is for a winter baby to be announced!

Don't worry about Toby being on it - he's a Havanese - he doesn't shed and is considered hypoallergenic. I'll wash it with baby detergent before I gift it, too. Toby fitting on it is a good indication that it'll be large enough. He's almost 11 pounds, and he's about the size of our largest cat. If nothing else, it'll be good for a car seat or stroller, like Colleenka said.

Thanks for starting this CAL! Now I've got a little less stash, and a gift ready for the future! :hook

That looks great, happy stitcher! I love the red, black & white. That will make a fun baby gift. Size looks fine to me!

I'm still working on the cream, rose & green squares 'ghan I posted earlier. I ditched the solid squares and it is going to be all cream squares with the colours in the middle of the square. It is going along ho hum.

Here's a pic of my scrap baby ripple. I did alternating white and each of the 9 scrap colours I have to begin with. I am now starting the center section which will be 3 rows of white to 1 row of each colour. I will then repeat the alternating white/colour pattern to complete the blanket. It is fun to work with the bright colours.

th_IM000692.jpg

Here's a pic of my scrap baby ripple. I did alternating white and each of the 9 scrap colours I have to begin with. I am now starting the center section which will be 3 rows of white to 1 row of each colour. I will then repeat the alternating white/colour pattern to complete the blanket. It is fun to work with the bright colours.

That's going to be beautiful! I can't wait to see it when it's done! :cheer

Guess what? I showed the black, white, and red starghan to a friend and she wants to buy it for a family member who is having a baby in December! :yay She's going to do exactly like I thought of doing - pair it with some red, white, and black toys. :hook

Wow - I would like to join in. Right now I'm doing a V-V-S as well as a rectangular granny to use up stash...

AND - could anyone tell me where I might find the "chapeau" pattern I saw here? I've looked high and low...and no luck.

Thanks!

mac+

The Chapeau pattern is in " favorite Throws and table toppers to crochet"

Carol Alexander/Annie's Attic

amazon has them-- you might try e-bay

it's also in a scrap leaflet but i have'nt seen one of those is ages

Guess what? I showed the black, white, and red starghan to a friend and she wants to buy it for a family member who is having a baby in December! :yay She's going to do exactly like I thought of doing - pair it with some red, white, and black toys. :hook

That's great! Congratulations. It is a really cute afghan.

Well, just like I thought- I lost steam on my yoyo afghan. I have about 100 yoyo's made so far, but weaving in the ends is so monotonous. Bleh. I've been working on my 3-strand one, instead, and it's coming along quite well. I worked about 10 squares last night while watching WifeSwap. LoL I've used about 3 balls of yarn so far. And I found a skein of white Softee Chunkee (from another blanket I didn't finish :blush) to work join them with! :clap

Theresa yours looks great, happystitcher i think the size is fine for a newborn and the colors are great as well. As for me well I still havnt found a pattern that I want to use so Im still pluging a long.

Since you just started this crochet-a-long, I can join! I hate joining one that's been going on for months already. I already have a scrap-ghan in progress to use up Red Heart from other projects. My project will be a Hexagon afghan done with a Pattern by Bernat. Here's a photo from the book of this afghan. I've only completed about 9 hexes. The afghan is for my brother, so I'm sticking with guy colors (browns and greens) for the outside of the hexes.

bernathexagon.jpg

<<has anyone ever incorporated yarns that are not traditional afghan yarns into a scrapghan?>>

Yes, I have done this in 6 (or more) afghans and it really depends on the type of afghan you are doing for it to work well because you are always dealing with yarns that result in different gauges. Motif by Motif tend to work better than say one where you are just doing lines of crochet, alternating colors. It becomes really obvious and often with unpleasant results when the yarns vary in depth, but is not a problem in a motif that is somewhat forgiving for gauge. You can also fix this problem by alternating crochet hook sizes to try to keep the motif to the same size.

This pattern is easy to resize up squares with extra rows around and/or by switching to different sized crochet hooks.

http://pumamouse.com/crochetbasicgrannys.html

This one that I did for my cousin just did not work with yarns that were too different. Sorry, I had a cheapo digital camera then, so the photo is poor.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252/1600103/3194928/105961699.jpg

Here is a closeup of the same afghan where I used black sport yarn with worsted weight yarns. Not only does it not show up well, but when you pick up the afghan, it looks like it can't handle the weight at those spots compared to the other yarn.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252/1600103/3194928/58908081.jpg

This next afghan, which I've done 3 times now (twice as bedspreads) is IDEAL for using odd types of yarn. I combined baby with sport to get the right gauge, but sometimes just doubled baby or doubled sport. Because of how it is put together, different sized circles just blend in. BTW, the motif is a type of puff stitch. (Scrap Yarn Afghans #883 Leisure Arts) Please note that this afghan is VERY warm as the puff stitch makes 3 layers of yarn - maybe too warm if you live in the South.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252/1600103/3194928/39159526.jpg

Finally, this afghan (also in Scrap Yarn Afghans #883) which needs a much better photo, would not be suitable for different types of width yarns due to the resulting stitches rather than motif size. The motif just does not lend itself to much adjustment. I used 1970s Orlon, Red Heart (before and after one-dye-lot yarn) and Caron Sayelle. All of these did work together only because they are all worsted. A sport or baby yarn would not have worked because you'd have to be awfully skilled to do them with doubled yarn.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252/1600103/3194928/66829328.jpg

Hope this helps!

That's exactly why I've never done anything with yo yos!

I hate ends!!

Me, too! But I WILL finish this! I've already told my mom she's getting it for Christmas. :blush

Stephanie I really like your pictures. Oh BTW I finally found at least one book of scrap ghans, then I found a quilt ghan book and there is a pattern in there with different colored squares that sort of sink in and then its bordered in white that sort of puffs out around them, and then I found one folder that has other stuff in there, so as soon as i get the boys to bed im going to hunt.

Okay here are a few scrapghan round ripples I made. The first one I made for my friends daughter it's made out of pinks and yellows with white in between it was 50 something inches from point to point with a I hook:

ScrapRipple1.jpg

here is the recipient of this blanket:

LaileyRR4.jpg

The next one I made for my god daughter for her 5th bday:

Lucyb-dayrr.jpg

and here is my god daughter Lucy next to it to show size it is 60" from point to point with a I hook and scrap purples with white in between:

Lucyinfrontofrr.jpg

this one was for my b/f roomates son it's scrap blues:

RodneysBlanket.jpg

the baby is only a month old and this blanket measured I think 30 something inches from point to point with a I hook. This next one was made with pink scraps from light pink to dark pink and I loved the way it turned out:

AlyssaaBlanket.jpg

it is 40 some odd inches from point to point with a I hook the baby this was made for has yet to receive it. Finally this next one was for my god son on our b-day in which he turned 4:

B-dayBlanket1.jpg

here he is with his blanket that measured 61 inches from point to point with a J hook in scrap greens but he didn't want white in between his lol:

B-dayBlanket3.jpg

he was making a crazy face at his mom in this pic but he is sitting on one of the points so it shows kind of how big it is.

This is one I have to join! I started a scrapghan in May 2007! I only did a little on it, then put it down. I pulled it out of my craft closet yesterday so I can finally finish it! It's Dot's pattern.

http://patternsbydot.blogspot.com/2006/01/scrumptious-scraps-afghan.html

I love that pattern! I have finished one for my 6yog in bright floral colors, using a variegated every eight rows to tie it together, and it turned out great! (I'll hunt down the camera cord next week...) I am almost done wth the one for my 7yob in greens and browns- I should be done next week. My 9yob is color blind and has requested one in reds and oranges- he wants it to be LAVA. (I am collecting yarn for that one, and I think I'll put in some greys to save us all from retina burn.) I also have an enormous stash of blues and greens, and am making a "waterfall" for my 11yod. I really like that I am making four "matching" blankets for them, yet they will all be very different. I also made them long enough for my tall children to grow up with.

I also want to make We're All God's Children from Happy Yellow House (Hi Tab!) and have most of the yarn collected for that. I just need to get some pale blue for the background squares, and I'll have a different variegated for each dress. It is gonna take me awhile to get to it, but I know I have a whole 'ghan ready for me with one four-skein purchase!

In case you're wondreing, I inherited most of my stash from a dear friend who never threw a scrap away. Her kids laughed at her, but I am using almost everything she gave me in the kids' scrappies since each row only takes 1/2 ounce! I have added to it with my own scraps, and of course the cure of scrappies is that you wind up buying new yarn to complement the scraps, but hey- it's a blast!

I've got so much yarn stashed in the corner, I've got about 5 feet high by 5 feet wide. My husband is about to build another room.

I need to think of a new project to eat up some yarn.

Donna

Archived