Fulled hobo bag

Sonny321

I took a break today from working on swap things to make a bag that I've been meaning to make for some time now. I made this bag a couple years ago on a whim out of some worsted acrylic I had and while I like the look of it, it always frustrated me how my hooks would fall through( I typically always have a ball of yarn and a hook where ever I go)

So I used some tapestry wool that has been in my little stash for awhile now, and made this bag again and fulled it, http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/ckc-tote.html

Here are the after pictures, I didn't get before pictures, but I used a J hook and the purse before I fulled it was ENORMOUS! LOL it was so big my 6 year old could sit in the bottom of it with his knees pulled up to his chin ( don't ask why he'd do such a thing, I've given up trying to figure out why my boys do the goofy things they do) It took about 15 (40 yard) skeins of the tapestry wool.

I only had to put it through the washer 1 and 1/2 times. Midway through the second cycle I stopped it before it got too small. I was amazed at how much it shrunk,considering how big it started out to be. It's actually a bit smaller than the original version I crocheted, but it's still a good size.

th_DSCF0100.jpg

th_DSCF0096.jpg

WOW!! What an awesome colour for that bag. I love how it turned out! I'm sure it's way sturdier than the regular way. That's what stopped me from making it before. May have to rethink that pattern now!!!

Great job!!

Bec

Love your fulled bag!:manyheart

I would love to make something that big but am afraid of it not turning out right and having wasted all that lovely wool yarn. :(

I've only made small bags so far.

You did a great job!

Barbara

To answer the questions:

it took an estimated 600 yards of yarn( more or less depending on how loosely or tightly you crochet)

And I followed the pattern exactly and only changed the hook size ( I will note that I had to frog the blasted thing 4 times before I got the stupid count right, but that wasn't the patterns fault:oops )

It ended up costing me less than $3 to make, I found the wool some time back in a large bag at the thrift store. 100% wool sweaters would also be an affordable source for large quantities of wool yarn.

Archived