I made my own self striping yarn!

Midds

And in the process of doing so created what is probably the ugliest potholders known to man! :lol I had this gallon size zippy bag of all my little scrap pieces of yarn (I don't throw away anything larger than about 6-8" long) and it was getting so full that I decided to just crochet them all into potholders and here is what they look like. YUCK! At least it got rid of some of my scrap yarn/bits & pieces. The bag now only has about 4 smaller balls in it yet but they are colors I can use for hair and such so I just left those out.

100_0823.jpgFront

100_0824.jpgBack

I really like your potholders. For the lack of a better description... they really do make you want to smile! If you passed them on to someone you would really brighten their day everytime they went into their kitchen:clap

I think those look great. I have always used all my scraps for stuffing, but that is a nice idea. Now, do you tie all those pieces together, or do you just work them into the pattern like you would when adding a new skien? Thanks for sharing. ;)

:yay I think they're attractive.... so ...

I take a skein of black and knit together all my lil leftovers into hats and scarves with black as a unifying color. The tinyteeny pieces go out for the bird's nests! NOTHING wasted here, either!

I think those look great. I have always used all my scraps for stuffing, but that is a nice idea. Now, do you tie all those pieces together, or do you just work them into the pattern like you would when adding a new skien? Thanks for sharing. ;)

Thank you all so much for your kind compliments. I finished off the stitch with the new color, knotted the pieces together and then kept crocheting, while crochetin over the ends to help hide them. I only knotted because I thought since some of the pieces were so short that it might come undone. The next time I do this though I am going to try to russian join all the pieces and then just do a continious crochet and see what happens.

Thanks for the tute on the russian join. I will definitely try that next time. If I were ambitious enough, I could make my own choice of colors varigated yarn. Ha! Anyway, thanks so much. :)

That is a fantastic :clapway to use up scraps,what pattern did you use :thinkthere looks to be one similar at CPC a double diagonal type one:crocheting

Archived