Wavy Gravy Rasta "Tam" Snood

Captain Hook

WAVY GRAVY RASTA "TAM" SNOOD!

Doesn't even sound like English, does it? :lol I think you'll pick up on just what it all means here momentarily.

Anywho... I wanted something to keep things in check on bad hair, blustery, and lazy days. Those tam/snood caps that other girls wear seemed like a good idea to me, and I love to crochet myself hats, so I set about making one to my own liking...

rasta.gif

Two scans of the same hat put together. The top is folded up a bit, so it would fit on the scanner. The bottom is, of course, of the crown.

rastabear.gif

My lovely model, who just happened to have the right size head to fit the hat, and the right size body to fit the scanner.

I really had fun with this, and it's possibley the most professional thing I've ever crocheted. The pattern I wrote for it might be flawed, but I didn't find any mistakes in the actual hat, which is a first.

It's made with acrylic worsted yarn. The black was Red Heart, I have no idea about the muted rainbow, which is from a small skein I've had forever. The hooks were size K (the tam) and I (the band).

I absolutely love it. It's very comforable, fits perfectly, does just what it was designed to do, is open and cool enough for summer, thick enough to ward off dreaded hair-part sunburn, warm enough to wear on cooler days (especially if you put the band over your ears), and I'm told it looks cute on me.

I noticed it could also be worn on top of the head, as a baret, although I have no plans to do so.

Although I've done lots of things out of my own head, it's the first time I ever wrote down my pattern. If anyone is interested in a (possibley flawed) pattern for this bad boy, please say so, and I will post it in the patterns forum for general critiquing.

I just lOVE it!! What a unique and beautiful hat. I would definitely be interested in making one. As one who suffers from round head syndrome, I look icky in most hats. But I think this one would look so cool! GREAT JOB!!!!:manyheart

Andrea, thanks so so so much! :) I'm really pleased you like it so much! I'm sorry you don't have a head for a hat-wearing, but I'm glad you want to try mine. The thing about it is that it covers most of your head down the back, and it's shaped more or less like your hair if you were wearing a headband, so I think most people could wear it. I think the only head type that couldn't get away with it would be those men one sees occaisionally with an oddly cylindrical head. Thanks again!

Muchas gracias, Seniorita Faith! Glad you like it. ^-^

Mary and Julie, thank you both very much!

To Andrea, Faith and Mary: I will decidedly be getting to work on typing the pattern up in that case! I will post here when it's posted there and private message you gals so you'll know. Thanks very much, ladies. :) You made me very happy.

Crochetfun, you posted while I was in the midst of posting my replies to everybody else. Thank you so much! :manyheart I would love for everybody possible to test the pattern. I'll private message you once I get it posted, which I think will probably be either some time tonight or tommorow.

Ashleigh, thanks very much!

Everybody keeps posting while I'm replying! 123mama, thank you. :c9 I'm glad you like both the hat and the colors. :hug I will be posting the pattern ASAP.

I love this!!! I'd love the pattern, too.

I'm still searching for that perfect "me" hat pattern, and to know that it's ok to wear in the summer is a bonus!!

I'd love to change from wearing doo-rags everyday!

Excellent job!!!!!

While your making your list of who would like a copy of that pattern, please add my name too. Looks like it would be very nice for our winters here in Oklahoma.

Ah! I got the pattern finished! It took longer than I had hoped, because I had made errors when I wrote it down. Thank you so much to everyone I haven't thanked, I'll private message anyone who wanted the pattern, and if there are any questions or anything I'll look through a little later and answer them all.

Archived