Crochet vs Knitting

I love them both! I have never understood the crocheters/knitters who always "claim" they can never do the other. If you can manipulate the yarn with a hook, you can do it with needles....and vice versa.

It amuses me to see crocheters laboriously crocheting "ribbing" on a garment - for heavens sake, KNIT IT! It is not only easier but it is better, no comparison. And to see knitters laboriously knitting a lace edging. Ditto, it is quicker and easier to crochet it and the results are far superior.

Things that should be crocheted....not knit:

Doilies. Yes you can knit them. Why???

Edgings. Ditto

Purses. Knitted ones are just as cute, but knitted fabric stretches out of shape much easier while crochet makes a firmer fabric.

Afghans (for the most part, although knitted blankets can be very soft and cuddly). You want a firm fabric that holds its shape and knitting will stretch. Also, it is more cumbersome to knit a one piece afghan than to crochet it.

Things that should be knitted...not crocheted:

Socks. Yes you can crochet them. Why??? :)

Gloves. Ditto

Sweaters. (Depending on the style/yarn). You just can't get the same drape, shaping detail, and fine texture in the heavier gauge of crochet

Ribbings - on anything, even a crocheted garment.

(Although I love both knitting and crocheting I DETEST tunisian crochet, which is "supposedly" a hybrid. It is absolutely hideous, I hate doing it and I hate how it looks!)

I think it is interesting to see more patterns nowadays that incorporate both techniques. That makes perfect sense, why not get the best of both worlds?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like doing both as well. Like you, I find I tend to create different types of projects using one or the other:

Socks -- I haven't attempted to crochet these yet, although knitting them is fairly easy.

Sweaters -- I've both knitted and crocheted sweaters and I like to do it both ways, depending on my mood. There are some awesome crocheted sweater patterns out there.

Afghans -- I haven't attempted to knit one yet, just crocheted them. My personal feeling is that, overall, crocheting makes a thicker fabric than knitting (using the same weight of yarn), so I'm guessing knitted afghans might not be as warm (unless you used thick yarn).

Hats -- I've only knitted these, but would like to try crocheting one.

Scarves -- I like the drape of a knitted scarf the best.

Baby Blankets -- I do like crocheting these rather than knitting, as they seem to go faster. Also, there are so many cute baby blanket patterns out there for crochet.

Anyway, just my two cents...

LOL! I can so relate to what you have to say! My sister-in-law is a fantastic knitter but tells me she can never crochet. Crocheting seems too confusing to her. Like you, I can do both but choose crochet usually since I can complete a project more quickly. I have problems in correcting knitting mistakes while knitting and find mistakes are far easier to correct in crocheting. I think people tend to prefer one over the other. In my case, I prefer crochet. It will be interesting to see what other feedback you get.

I love them both!

But I find knitting a little slower so I crochet my bigger items (like afghans and blankets).

I normally have a project from each one.

I just go with the one that will be easier, will look the best and I'll get the most out of it!

I know how to crochet AND knit. However, I don't like to knit. In my experience, knitting is so much slower than crocheting. Here's a prime example: slippers. It takes me 2 weeks to knit a very simple pair of slippers while in crocheting I can make a pair of simple slippers in 1-2 evenings. Why should I knit when I can crochet a comparable item in less time?

I want to learn to knit so bad! I tried doing it a couple of months ago, but I find it so difficult to hold the needles....and I kept on dropping stitches. I know all I need is practice....I'm just a bit impatient. I want it to look awesome right away!! LOL

Not a big fan of the tunisian technique, although so many love it. I think you have to have a certain mind-set for it.

The graphs using tunisian are wonderful and I admire them, but I can't be bothered with all that weaving in of the yarn tails. Time is my friend. I don't like to use him him up mindlessly!

I am a very free person. Crochet is free, knitting and tunisian are confining to me.

I can do all three techniques but I stick with crocheting because it fits my personality and lifestyle.

I'd like to learn to knit socks. For most everything else I want to do, crocheting and loom knitting suits just fine. I just love seeing what everyone is able to create with just a ball of yarn and a hook,loom, or couple of needles(or more!).

I love crocheting! I would like to learn to knit. I tried once, I just couldn't do it on my own. I am a visual learner so I need someone to show me how to get started. I found a group that is teaching how, so hopefully I will be able to attend that one day. Then I can finally say I know how to do both!

lisalu,

Just wondering how you came up with your name? I had never heard it any where else before. That is what my aunt calls me! And she is the only one I have ever heard say it. So I thought it was pretty cool to see it else where.

I learned to crochet over 30 years ago but always wanted to knit, too. About 2 years ago I finally got down to brass tacks and now I can honestly say I love knitting. I agree, some items are better crocheted and some, knitted. There is usefulness for either. So why the big divide? Snobbery against another's craft is ugly business.

I like to knit sweaters in the round. It's perfect for just vegging out and doing the same stitch over and over and over. Very Zen. I'm interested in knitting socks. Crochet rocks for for just about everything else.

Crocheting doilies is wonderful and Zen, too, in a different way. Don't like the way my crochet sweaters have turned out, so I'll stick with knitting raglans.

I agree, some items are better crocheted and some, knitted. There is usefullness for either. So why the big divide? Snobbery against another's craft is ugly business.

I agree!!

I went to a CGOA Conference several years ago and I heard so many knitting "putdowns". "Knitting is for little old ladies" and stuff like that. I was shocked! There were several designers there, like Lily Chin, who work in both media and do some amazing things.

On the other hand, I have heard almost the exact same comments from knitters that "crocheting is for little old ladies".

To both those groups, I want to say, "Get a grip! Either way you are turning yarn into fabric. Why is one stodgy and the other cool, depending on which one you happen to do?"

My knitting group isn't too wild about crocheting, but it's funny sometimes because I had knit some baby booties and added a simple crochet ruffle to them, and they oohed and ahhed and asked what I did. I agree that some things are better suited to each. I like the look of crocheted ribbing, but for function I like knit ribbing. I crochet almost all of the baby things for the CareNet center because it's more productive and looks cute. Socks I knit, blankets I crochet (I do NOT want to knit across a couple hundred stitches). I prefer knit hats, but I don't have any desire to ever knit a doily. I think it depends on the item and the time and the season, and just whatever you like the best.

I like both knitting and crochet as well. I learned how to knit when I was in grade school and I have been crocheting for going on three years. I certainly use crochet much more and I think for most items I really prefer it, but I would like to learn how to knit socks (have never knitted socks, but then I've never crocheted them either). Outside of the socks and some sweaters that I've seen, I like most everything else better in crochet. I made a baby afghan years ago before the birth of one of my nephews and I knitted it. What a nightmare, it took me months and it was so hard having to keep all those stitches on the needles as the afghan got bigger. Never again. Anyway, with all the beautiful crochet patterns out there I can't imagine why anyone would want to knit an afghan. I must say that I like the crocheted hats better too. But as most of you agree, both have their places. But I don't think either crafter should be snotty to the other just because they don't do one or the other.

I have nothing against knitting. I agree that there are some things that just work better knit. I just haven't learned and have no desire to. I think it's totally a mental block on my end, with the two sticks vs. one and the perception of coordination needed. I don't need both arts shoved down my throat. I've got two friends who knit and one who crochets a bit. None of us have tried to "convert" anyone else and I admire all finished projects.

I guess what really gets my goat is when someone says they're friendly to both crafts, but are only playing lip service to the other. I truly do appreciate knitting, if anyone ever gifts me something knitted I'll treasure it, but it's just not the art for me to practice. I hope that my knitting friends who say they appreciate crochet just don't blow it off as "the other craft" if someone ever gifts them... or blows off what they see in their LYS as "the other craft"...

I actually enjoy anything that has to do with yarn...knitting, crocheting, tunisian, looms, cross stitch, embroidery, latch hook, etc... I've tried them all. But as many of you have already stated....to each his own...meaning afghans are to crocheting as socks are to knitting. Some things produce better finished products if done in either a knit or crochet.

I'm presently knitting a scarf for my son while working on the charity blitz 08 squares and 2 for 1 Warm Up America charity. So I'm constantly working on one style or another. It's actually good practice to keep working on the knitting since I'm not all that experienced with it but would like to make more items such as sweaters and stuff.

BUT my true love and what I initially learned was crochet. I would never give it up. Crocheting :crochetingis my stress buster and I can be at it for hours on end......:manyheart

Things that should be crocheted....not knit:

Doilies. Yes you can knit them. Why???

Edgings. Ditto

Purses. Knitted ones are just as cute, but knitted fabric stretches out of shape much easier while crochet makes a firmer fabric.

Afghans (for the most part, although knitted blankets can be very soft and cuddly). You want a firm fabric that holds its shape and knitting will stretch. Also, it is more cumbersome to knit a one piece afghan than to crochet it.

Things that should be knitted...not crocheted:

Socks. Yes you can crochet them. Why???

Gloves. Ditto

Sweaters. (Depending on the style/yarn). You just can't get the same drape, shaping detail, and fine texture in the heavier gauge of crochet

Ribbings - on anything, even a crocheted garment.

I kind of disagree with you. While I apreciate both and do agree they give very different looks, I don't think that one "should" only knit socks or crochet afghans.

I have a book or two with awesome knitted edgings. Like it or not, you can't get that same look with crochet.

Sweaters while you can't get the same drape, you can get wonderful look and feel by crocheting. Imagine if everyone stopped designing and crocheting sweaters. It's be a shame really.

Crocheted ribbing is fine. I love it on the mittens I made years ago.

Crocheted or knitted, most purses should be lined to help with the sagging.

Afghans (for the most part, although knitted blankets can be very soft and cuddly).
so I'm guessing knitted afghans might not be as warm (unless you used thick yarn).

Again it depends on the yarn and the pattern.

I have a beautiful afghan that my best friend knitted me and it's warm. I'd post a picture but it's storage.

I don't think everyone needs to learn both crochet and knit, it should be to each their own and appreciate both of them.

Just my two pennies.

:)

I can knit and crochet, but tend to use them for different kinds of things.

I have made some items using BOTH.

I learned to crochet at about 9 years old. My grandma tried teaching me knitting first, and at that point, I just could NOT quite get it, but took off like crazy with the crochet.

Later, I did some knitting using a knitting board my dad made.... and even later took up knifty knitter, and then taught myself knitting with needles.

I don't think anything is better than the other, except maybe on a project to project basis, they are just different.

I'm kind of surprised when Yarn shops get snooty about crochet. If I have a very limited amount of left over yarn, I'll probably knit with it... but if I'm buying yarn for a project that's the same size, knitted or crochet, the CROCHET will usually use more yarn!

LYS take note, crocheters will BUY MORE YARN than knitters to make similar projects.

IMHO, I'm still learning the Tunisian, and finding it a bit awkward, but no more than other crafts were, when new to me. So far I've made a nifty potholder and a nice towel using it... I'm sure there are fiber artists more familiar with the method doing amazing things with it.

I do both, learned crochet first. Recently I've been working on many sweaters and while I love to crochet, knitting has used up less yarn (for similar projects). This is starting to be a biggie for me since each sweater uses lots of yarn and I can stretch those dollars with knitting.

Another factor for me is that I knit slower than I crochet. So if I want "completion" gratification, I crochet. If I want "feeling the expensive yarn for as long as I can" gratification, I knit. Just another way to look at it. :)

I kind of disagree with you. While I apreciate both and do agree they give very different looks, I don't think that one "should" only knit socks or crochet afghans.

I have a book or two with awesome knitted edgings. Like it or not, you can't get that same look with crochet.

Sweaters while you can't get the same drape, you can get wonderful look and feel by crocheting. Imagine if everyone stopped designing and crocheting sweaters. It's be a shame really.

Crocheted ribbing is fine. I love it on the mittens I made years ago.

Crocheted or knitted, most purses should be lined to help with the sagging.

I have knitted lace, crocheted socks and ribbing, knitted afghans, crocheted sweaters, etc. I have done just about every imaginable project in both knit and crochet. Of course there are no RULES, these are only my own opinions based on my experience, but those are my guidelines for choosing the best job for any given project (and there are always exceptions to any generality!)

Archived