Crochet vs Knitting

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried knitting a few months ago. MIL had me casting on and knitting back and forth. I didn't like it- didn't feel right to me. LOL. Crochet is quicker for me.

Well, one can't argue with that. The afghan I'm crocheting is going along much faster than the scarf I'm knitting.

I do both as well. My livelihood is tied up with the piano, and I have to be very careful with any repetitive use activity, especially one putting more stress on the ligaments and small muscles in the hand, wrist, and arm. I generally have one knitting and one crochet project going at a time, since I use my body differently for each craft. That way, I "cross train" :).

That being said, if I'm in a clutch situation and need to make a gift for someone, I'll turn to crochet first. I've been doing it much longer, and I'm really proud of the way my projects turn out. My knitting (which I've only been doing about a year), while nothing to sneeze at, doesn't always live up to my high standards for gifts :). Maybe someday....

I like both. I'm good at both (IMHO!)

I learned to knit 2 summers ago and crochet 6 months later, thanks to everyone here. They are both fun and creative.

That's all I have to say about that. ;)

True. However the orginal poster (anyone really) should expect rebuttals when that kind of post is made. If people don't like what's being said in replies, they can opt not to open the thread and read anymore of it. ;)

Seems to me that the original poster of this thread has done exactly that. She hasn't posted since post number 28.....

I don't really get why anyone compares the two--they're both different. But since both are used to make things from yarn, I think there will always be comparisons.

I've been crocheting for several years and can see a huge improvement over even a year ago in my progress. My grandmother gave me one or two knitting lessons when I was a kid and I never forgot it--but apparently she had me yarning over backwards! :lol I watched some knitting videos a few months ago and it was hard to train myself to yarn over the right way. The videos are invaluable, but it's hard to beat someone sitting next to you, showing you in person--someone started teaching me yesterday how to use double-pointed needles to start a fingerless glove. It's fun!

I think I will always love crocheting the best but right now I'm enjoying a little break and learning something new.

Archived