Crochet vs Knitting

It amuses me to see crocheters laboriously crocheting "ribbing" on a garment - for heavens sake, KNIT IT! It is not only easier but it is better, no comparison. And to see knitters laboriously knitting a lace edging. Ditto, it is quicker and easier to crochet it and the results are far superior.

quote]

I take exception to this remark. It is only easier for the person who actually likes to knit and perficent at it. And the results are not always "superior" I learned to knit years before I learned to crochet. I do not like knitting. I find it slow and cumbersome. I now have a beautiful crocheted sweater( oops, not suppose to crochet sweaters are we) that has $80.00 of yarn in it. The Body took 2 weeks to crochet . It has been sitting, unfinished , for two years,reason: I decided that I would knit the ribbing, after all it "is not only easier but it is better" I have less than an inch of ribbing left to go, and I just cannot bring myself to do any more of the ribbing. I find it to be slow,and tedious. What I am going to do, is rib out all of the completed ribbing and re-do it using ribbing made of crocheted slip stitches. I use this very same ribbng on the aran sweaters I crochet and sell, the ones people tell me are knitted so well. It is the best ribbing ever.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you decide to knit and crochet is strictly up to you and no one else. And you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I think the problem comes in when you used the phrase "should be knitted... not crocheted" and then proceeded to give a list of items. Unfortunately that's the attitude most crocheters get from knitters and the LYS. There was a thread that discussed this very attitude a few months ago.

Hey this is MY OPINION, so don't get offended!

I have knitted and crocheted for 30 years, and I know some things work better one way and some things work better another. Have you ever tried to knit a doily? I will be the first to say I think it is an utter waste of time and effort. It is extremely difficult and the results will NEVER match crochet. (And I am an accomplished knitter)

If you like crocheted ribbing, then go for it. Its your project and you should do what you like. But it still amuses me....sorry! Don't mean to offend :)

Wow!! What can I say that hasn't already been said!!:think Thank goodness I can do both, knit and crochet!! I've never wished I could do something in crochet rather than knit, or to do something in knit rather than crochet. Except I do prefer to knit my hats/beanies(I'm still trying to get used to using double point needles:eek)!! We have a LYS, the lady was going to be teaching different techniques in knitting, but she wanted you to be a "continental" knitter. I was not taught the continental way(wish I had been-can knit soooo much faster), so I somewhat took offense to that....so because of that, I am constantly on the internet finding tutorials on knitting!! I enjoy knitting, because I can take my eyes off of what I am working on by just feeling the needle going into the stitches. I have tried it on my crocheting, but I'm afraid I'll miss a stitch!! I've been crocheting for over 30 yrs. and knitting(off and on)for 20 yrs. I enjoy doing both!!:yes :knitand :crocheting

My mom tried to teach me to knit when was 7 (8?). I can do the basic knit/purl but I'm not good. I've dropped stitches, almost sat on needles and scratched my arm (actually drew blood). My sister taught me granny squares when I was 10 (11?). I got books and learned everything I could. I'm 40+ and still crochet, even create my own designs. Some day I'll make a book.

Ellie 13

Since I have only been crocheting for a year now, I don't really feel the "need" to learn how to knit. I'm still learning crochet! LOL Also, I happen to love tunisian. :manyheart

:2c

I taught myself both, and I like both for different reasons. There are definitely items that I would never knit and those I would never crochet. But I would say unless you know how to do both and know what type of product you get from each, it would be hard to say bad things about either. A knitter thinks knitting is easy and a crocheter thinks crocheting is easy, I personally think both are easy! And I really like patterns that combine both, like knitted ribbing for a sweater bottom and sleeve cuffs, but that might have lacy crocheted body and arms. It's all good!

I just bought a book to learn how to knit, hopefully I will have time soon to sit down with the book. I am looking foward to learning a new craft.

only my own opinions based on my experience, but those are my guidelines for choosing the best job for any given project (and there are always exceptions to any generality!)

Exactly; your own guidelines which is how it should be for everyone; having their own guidelines, not someone else's.

I found it a little offputting stating certain things should only be either crocheted or knitted.

Hey this is MY OPINION, so don't get offended!

Everyone IS entitled to their opinion. It's when you word it in a way that makes people feel less than, that it comes across offensive.

I am a crocheter that would like to learn to knit. I have tried several times in the past and still try. When I knit my hands start to ache and I am always fighting my yarn tension so I usually give up and try again another day. I think I will eventually get it but just not right now. I picked up a pair of knitting needles at JoAnn's,they are closing the one closest to me (60 miles away) so that day may be coming soon:think

Gina

I love both too . I am with you.

It really irks me when Knitters put done those who crochet

or when crocheters put down knitting.

If one can do both it is to their liking and enjoyement.

I have been knitting and crocheting for 35 years and sometimes I look at something I've done and can't remember whether it is knit or crochet. They are interchangeable in my mind. I knit and crochet hats, I knit and crochet afghans, I knit and crochet sweaters. I have more expertise with knitting but I can crochet quicker. I have just discovered crocheted ribbing, and I think it is beautiful. With knitting I usually put on ribbing to prevent curling but crochet doesn't curl so I don't usually use crocheted ribbing but it is very nice. To each their own.

Although I can knit and crochet I would rathter crochet it is so much easier for me anymore the only thing that I really knit is stuff I want to felt, although one of these days I am going to try felting something I crochet so I can see if there is any real difference...

I am one of those people who finds it almost impossible to manipulate two needles (and I am always in awe of my daughter when she is handling multiple needles). I can do most kinds of sewing and needlework with some proficiency, but knitting has defeated me. Since I am capable of doing most of the other things I want to do, I have decided that knitting is simply not worth the frustration and headaches it causes me. So I just have to remain an admirer of the craft rather than a practitioner (and the only thing I think that is far more attractive when knitted is cables; crochet cables always look heavy to me, while those that are knitted seem very light and graceful).

I used to knit but I found it took forever. Then I learned to crochet and I never went back. When I went to the E.R. I brought along my crochet stuff and there was a woman there who was knitting a scarf. Someone asked us which is better and she said knitting, I said both but I prefer crocheting. She said that I couldn't make a scarf as pretty as hers all she did was the Stockinette stitch, so I started a scarf in HDC's. Well by the time my name was called the person who asked the question not only liked mine better but I got more done then she did. The person looked over at the lady knitting and said to her, "I would rather do what the young girl is doing instead of what you're doing, but to me both of them look nice" So even though I only crochet now I still think both knit and crochet are nice and one shouldn't be held as better then the other.

I am a crocheter that would like to learn to knit. I have tried several times in the past and still try. When I knit my hands start to ache and I am always fighting my yarn tension so I usually give up and try again another day. I think I will eventually get it but just not right now. I picked up a pair of knitting needles at JoAnn's,they are closing the one closest to me (60 miles away) so that day may be coming soon:think

Gina

I was crocheting first... now I'm told I knit "European style" rather than "American"... so maybe that method will be easier for you?

(Although I love both knitting and crocheting I DETEST tunisian crochet, which is "supposedly" a hybrid. It is absolutely hideous, I hate doing it and I hate how it looks!)

I'm just curious about this statement. I realize that it's your opinion and, of course, you're entitled to it. But, I'm just wondering if your knowledge of Tunisian crochet is limited to only older patterns. Here are some of mine that I've done in the past. I can understand if someone simply doesn't enjoy doing Tunisian crochet. But, I really wouldn't understand if you say that it is hideous once you see these. If you do, that's fine, of course. But, I wanted to share with you since there has been so much done with Tunisian in the last 10 years.

2167770506_5931615bfe.jpg

houndstooth2.jpg

2167770370_c6cfc4302d.jpg

I'm just curious about this statement. I realize that it's your opinion and, of course, you're entitled to it. But, I'm just wondering if your knowledge of Tunisian crochet is limited to only older patterns. Here are some of mine that I've done in the past. I can understand if someone simply doesn't enjoy doing Tunisian crochet. But, I really wouldn't understand if you say that it is hideous once you see these. If you do, that's fine, of course. But, I wanted to share with you since there has been so much done with Tunisian in the last 10 years.

houndstooth2.jpg

Kim, I kneel before you! Those are are absolutely. incredibly, beautiful!!!!

You are truly the goddess of tunisian!

I agree about the difference between American and European knitting. As I'm European I never learned the American way, but it surely looks tedious. The European way is faster and doesn't include as many movements. The movements are smaller too (easier on your muscles).

About socks... I've crocheted socks and slippers, and I can never get rid of the feeling of walking on knots. Knitting is much softer.

So I say: Crochet some and knit some.

houndstooth2.jpg

These are gorgeous - boy that is something I'd like to learn to do. Thank you Kim for sharing these, you really have mastered Tunisian.

Archived