Help me choose!

What should I use for my edging?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should I use for my edging?

• Fun Fur (Citrus - blue green variegated)
    • Fancy Fur (Tropical Turquoise)
    • Neither/Different (please explain)

Edited: Thank you for all your input ladies, I've never worked with fun fur before, so after being informed about the washability and how it sheds I have decided against using it. Thanks for all the honest input ladies :hug I'll be sure to post pictures when the blanket is complete!! :hook

I'm making this baby blanket out with Caron Simply Soft in Soft Blue and the pattern has a shell type edging, but I decided that I'd like to do a fun fur type edging. I went to Wal Mart last night (40 miles away and still the only place around here I can buy yarn :angry) and wanted just a light blue fun fur, well they didn't have this, but these are the 2 that I narrowed it down to. I only have one of the fun fur (hope that'd be enough...do you think?:think) but I have 2 of the fancy fur (it was on sale ;))

I just thought I'd ask some opinions...which should I edge the blanket in once it is complete? Or should I get a different type or different color? Also I've never worked with fun fur or fancy fur so do you have any suggestions for the edging....just sc, or hdc or dc? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Here are the pics to help you choose, thanks for any opinions!!

These are clickable!

th_102_1191.jpg

th_102_1195.jpg

th_102_1194.jpg

Whats the wash instructions for fun fur? I would worry about it washing funny with a blanket that is meant for a baby. I would go with a shell edging in a different color of simply soft myself. They have a couple nice blues. That way its still a little fancy without being furry.

I would nix the fun fur and do a beautiful shell edging in a verigated acrylic so you could see the shell pattern.

I don't think Fun Fur would hold up to the washing and drying a baby blanket must go through.

The blanket is beautiful!

I agree with the lot. Maybe use the color from Caron Simply Soft Brites called 'Blue Mint'. It is like that blue color fun fur you have but not furry lol. I used it to make three of the 12 squares I made into a blanket for my coworkers grandson. The thread is in B&C Show and Tell if you want to look.

Well thank you all for your input...I guess I didn't think too far in depth about it, i just thought fun fur would look cute, lol...I didn't think about that washability of it and what not. I love that I can come here and get constructive feedback :yes You guys are the best!

But I also want to clarify a little, tho I'm making a "baby blanket" it will more or less be my toddler's new blanket, so it's not really for a "baby". But all the same I think I might just stick with the pattern's shell border, or take a look around the net and see what I can find. I haven't decided if I'll do it in a different color, or maybe the same color....I'm not sure. But thanks for the help and all the wonderful suggestions everyone! :hug

wow, when you 1st posted this question (no one had wrote yet) i was afraid to say that it wouldn't be to neat for a baby blanket. it's good to hear that i wasn't the only one.

jaye

i would not want fun fur for a baby blanket. for an older child maybe. and i too think the fun fur would take away from the blanket. its like the fun fur and the blanket have two different personalities that won't mix well together.

Fun fur has it's place.... but not on baby blankets IMHO....

I agree that the washability thing is one concern, as is the 'shedding' possibility and potential choking hazzard. Also, again IMHO, fun fur edgings can make things tacky, not tasteful. It's a beautiful blanket. I like the idea of using a blue for the border, but blue Simply Soft of the like would probably work best. It would give the border some deffinition and the blanket a little more interest (pretty as it is though!) and being simply soft like the rest, would still be very washable and durable.

Very nice work on the blanket though! I'd be proud to wrap my little one in it!

Although you've decided by now, here are my thoughts: No fun fur for anything for a baby or a still little one. They tend to put things in their mouths and that's always a concern. And washability/durability is an issue. Finally, your blanket is so lovely and elegant, the fun fur would detract from it, not add to it. :crocheting

Your work is so nice ~ I think the fur would detract from it. I'd stay with the same yarn or something in the same weight that goes with it well, and do the shell edging. Shells give baby blankets a nice finished edge.

I was worried to post my thoughts but you did ask and I see everyone is on the same page. lol

I am not a big fan of fun fur. It has it's place. However I agree that it'll take away from your blanket. It doesn't wash well, it sheds and after a few washing can mat.

I agree with whoever said it would look tacky. It would also make the blanket loook dated.

You can do your edging or do a simple picot. I think either the same color or a darker Simply Soft blue would be nice.

:)

Archived