Do you prefer to work in Rounds or Rows  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to work in Rounds or Rows

• Rounds (grannies) mostly
    • Rows (back and forth, forth and back) mostly
    • Rounds only, can't do rows
    • Rows only, can't do rounds
    • Either or both

I was just trying to adapt a filet pattern to be worked as a square - start at the centre and work out - it seemed like a good idea at the time. Well that didn't work so i switched and I am now working it in standard rows.

As I was starring another row, I got to thinking that I really like using granny techniques because you get progress so quickly but then I remembered what it is like when you get to those outer edges that seem to go on forever... we all know that one right. :sigh

It got me to wondering how people feel about either rounds (grannies) or rows.

i have known people who did not learn to work in rounds and some who could not figure out how to do rows so it is not just a given that we can choose but if you had your druthers, which would you do Rounds or rows

I am comfortable with either one, but tend to do most things in the round. If you held me down and made me choose though, I would say I prefer rows. I have a tendency to lose stitches when I work in the round and so I am CONSTANTLY counting. With rows, once you get the pattern down you really only have to pay attention on the ends.

I haven't done too many grannies, but I really liked the one motif afghan I did for my son. The only thing I hated was weaving in all the dang ends! I thought I would spend forever doing it, but then I was a week overdue having my son and put on bed rest. If it wasn't for crocheting and those darn ends, I would REALLY have gone insane.

Sara

I very much prefer working in the round. For one thing...there is a definite "front" and "back" to the work (although non-crocheters can't always see it--I've seen many doilies displayed "upside down"--from my perspective--and I have to bite my tongue).

I do both, but I prefer rows because I hate it when I loose track of the beginning (or is it the end?) of a round. I'm too lazy to mark them. :lol

For years I preferred to do granny squares because when I worked rows I could rarely tell if I was working into the very last stitch of each row. I had to mark both ends, always. Then suddenly one day, I could just do it. I have no idea why, but I was suddenly able to tell if I was getting into that last stitch or not. Ever since then I have been fine doing either rows or rounds.

It depends on what I'm making or what pattern I find. Sure, the initial progress of rounds is fast, but the end drags on and on. Rows work more evenly, but the beginning can seem to be getting nowhere fast. Depending on the pattern, I have to count for either rows or rounds, so that doesn't seem to matter to me...

It doesn't matter to me if it's rows or rnds. I love it all.

Working filet in the rnd can be done. I have several designs that are done that way. But you cant work a single panel/design in the rnd. My Snowfields tablecloth is a filet in the rnd. But I couldn't do one of the snowflakes by it's self that way.

I prefer rows mostly. I can always see the 1st stitch better when I turn & there it is, than when I'm joining a round to the end of the previous round. Also the piece is usually same amt of stitches every row... unless it is an increase or decrease row, usually not every row though, more often only once in a while increasing. So your counts are pretty consistent, if I am interrupted, I don't have to start the row all over again because I lost count LOL! I have a counter but I don't use it for individual rows/rounds because I would lose momentum stopping every 10-20 stitches to click my counter. I just use that for rows or rounds. I cannot count the number of times I forgot, or was interrupted & had to frog the round because I mixed myself up & forgot to sc2tog or I had too many increases because I was interrupted :P

I never thought about much until you put up the poll, I have done rounds and rows both. But now that I have had my feet put to the fire, to decide, I guess I really prefer rounds. I voted that I liked either, but I think rounds would pull a head just a bit.:hook

Blondie

P.S Kathy that snowflake table cloth is nothing short of amazing. I am in such awe of your desgining talent.

I do either one, what ever the pattern calls for. Except I will not make granny squares! I hate sewing things together, and weaving in ends. NO granny squares in this house.:2nono

I mainly work in rows, however, I do make a few granny square afghans. Those usually take me forever to finish though as I don't like piecing them together, but the rows go so mu easier for me. I never had anyone to show me how to work in rounds and I think that's where I sometimes run into problems when I'm trying something like that.

I can do both, but really enjoy working the rounds. I like seeing it grow from every side. I'm working on my second 5 point starghan now and am planning a round ripple and at least 2 granny squares afghans for next year.

I think I like working in rounds because when I was about 10, my friends mom taught us to crochet granny squares. She would get us started in the first round, then we just kept going. Never learned anything else and then they moved away. Only started crocheting again recently, but that granny square came back to me real fast. Like old childhood memories..;)

I put "rows" as I enjoy the going backwards and forwards, although I'm not so keen sometimes on the look as there's not a clear right and wrong side. I'm happy to do rounds for hats and baby dresses etc, but for anything bigger I prefer rows. I find it less fiddly to hold, working rows you don't have to keep turning the project as you go, IYSWIM.

I would love to work rows and end up with a proper "right" side!

I wanted to vote in your poll, but it won't let me. Why I don't know, as I voted in a poll yesterday.

Anyways, I can do both equally well - rows or rounds.

I seem currently to be stuck in a granny square mode though.

Just finished one major project, and have two more I am currently

working on.

I also have a row project I am trying to finish. One almost done, and

need to work on the second one.

Edited to add...

after I got this posted, then it let me vote.

All is well in the crochet kingdom :)

It doesn't matter to me as I mainly decide on what I want to make. It's not based on rows or rounds. I usually design my own patterns anyway. If it has to be sized for someone else, I might at least use a pattern just for size but do my own st.

Archived