Crocheted American Flag

i could say something about crazy americans here :D but i just can't - i'm completely in awe of someone who can put that much work into one project and stick at something for so long!! it's very impressive!!

How cool is that? I hope that she gets some MAJOR recognition for this..... like on TV or something.......just imagine how BIG and HEAVY it must be.....must have been a real challenge to handle as it got BIGGER and BIGGER! That is some real dedicaton.:yes

While I applaud her efforts and the time it took her, I think she could have made blankets for homeless people or to send to the soliders instead.

The article says she made charitable donations while not working on the flag:

"Instead, she took time to develop her crocheting ministry, The Love Stitchers. Mrs. Hilton began the ministry in 2003 when her sister-in-law, Lola, developed cancer. She said Lola devoted her life to helping the elderly and shut-ins until she became too sick to carry on and moved into a nursing home.

The Love Stitchers took shape when Mrs. Hilton crocheted lap afghans for the nursing home's residents after Lola died. She and some friends made 75 afghans. Three years later, more than 100 women in three cities have made more than 1,500 lap afghans for nursing homes, hospice centers and for veterans.

The veterans, she says, get special treatment. Mack Hilton, her husband, had two brothers who served in World War II, and Mrs. Hilton's cousin was a life-long Marine. As a way to say thank you, Mrs. Hilton and the other Love Stitchers create red, white and blue, starred and striped lap afghans for the veterans they meet."

I think it's amazing - it really makes a statement! I wouldn't want to fly it outside, though. If I made something like that, I'd have to find an indoor place to display it. A museum wall, or something!

While I applaud her efforts and the time it took her, I think she could have made blankets for homeless people or to send to the soliders instead.

:think

That is why it took her three years. She was doing ghans for vets and others at the same time.

There are some things that are just right and need BIG to make the point. Maybe more people will be doing some care-giving because this got mentioned and stoked some imaginations.

I will be praying that every serviceman in Iraq, Afghanistan and everywhere else hears about this and feels the giant hug that she has crocheted.

I'm impressed.

American flags are my favorite afghans to crochet. (I've made so many I lost count of how many I've done)

She even used my 3 favorite Red Heart colors to do her flag. (hopefully she was working on this before the dye lot problem started)

I use the same "formula" for crocheting American flags. I'll take a real flag, and either measure it, or "eyeball" the dimensions to try to get the exact dimensions for the placement of the stripes and the Field of Blue.

I have yet to do a flag with stars in the Field of Blue. Partially because I didnt have the skill to do the stars yet, and partially because I feel that if I put stars in the afghan, then it will become an actual American flag (according to what I've read in the United States Flag Code) and it would be somewhat disrespectful to use the flag afghan as a blanket.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#176

"(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery."

Wowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bravo...I could not have said it better, she has a Crocheting Ministry for the elderly in Nursing homes and makes lapghans for our soldiers along with 100 other women in 3 different cities..you are sooooo right; God Bless her for this huge "HUG" to our soldiers, I admire her dedication!

That is why it took her three years. She was doing ghans for vets and others at the same time.

There are some things that are just right and need BIG to make the point. Maybe more people will be doing some care-giving because this got mentioned and stoked some imaginations.

I will be praying that every serviceman in Iraq, Afghanistan and everywhere else hears about this and feels the giant hug that she has crocheted.

Archived