Michaels' Yarns Expanded!

angieInCA

Well at least in My Michaels in Camarillo, CA.

I dropped in today to pick up a couple of things and they have totally redone the Yarn Dept and have expanded to include 18 new never before carried in this store yarns! :clap I was so excited I spent an hour just walking around and touching. They had things I had heard about but had never actually seen. And stuff I use all the time but have to order on-line.

They have also doubled the colors of RH and SS and TLC . SWS now has solids, who knew? They now have all the Vanna White line. I was so excited I went to the front of the store and had the Manager paiged and thanked him over and over. I explaind that most of the stuff they were now carrying I had to order on-line. He said that they were still edpanding and would be putting in more stuff and he said he would be sure to tell the District Manager how happy they had made this customer. :tup

BTW, they have finally dumped all the fun-fur and eye-lash crap that was multiplying and taking over half of the yarn space.:applause

The Michael's I go to is expanding too!! I was in there Monday night and I saw a few types of yarn they have never carried before. I will be stopping in tomorrow after work to see what else is new. I'm so glad they are doing this. When I was in there last week, most of the yarn was gone and I was getting worried. Then when I saw the new yarn Monday, I was Very happy to know they are expanding, not downsizing.

I did see more colors of RHSS, and they are now carrying the bigger skeins of Caron SS. They only had the little skeins of SS before. But the big skeins of SS are still cheaper at WalMart.

I saw them unpacking the Vanna's Choice yarn. They said it would retail for 2.99. That is $1 less than HL. There are also free patterns using this yarn on Lion's website.

Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debbie

uwcheese

I happened to be in Michaels today and really scored!

THey had a knock down bin and I bought Cebelia thread (10) for $3.00 and silkessence for 1.50.

And their yarn aisles had Patons grace and the soy yarn that people were talking about.

I think what angieinca did is right on track... we should let the local managers know how much we appreciate their expanding the yarn section.

I happened to be in my local Michael's this morning and I saw a lot of empty yarn bins, and a lot of yarn in shopping carts. I got nervous that they might be eliminating the yarn dept. like many Wal-Marts have, but the salesperson assured me that they were just re-doing the yarn dept. Now that I've seen this thread I'm really excited to see the new yarns.

Ok now this explains the mess I found at the Michaels in Clearwater. They moved everyting around and they have one isle completely empty and have moved some yarn one isle over. Wow this is great. I think I will mosey over to the one in Palm Harbor and see if they are expanding.

I was afraid they were cutting it short.:hook

I sure hope they continue this trend. Most of the Michael's up here are decreasing the size of the yarn department. I sure hope they do well in other areas and increase ours in Algonquin and McHenry.

:manyheart

For the past 2 months our Michaels' seemed to be decreasing their stock. I was so worried that this was permanent so I was so excited to see it was just in prep for expansion.

Please tell your store managers how much you appreciate and then make sure you patronize the stores so they are encouraged to keep their yarn departments large for us. :hook

I just got home from work and my trip over to Michael's. I was shocked at what I saw. They are now carrying yarn I have never seen before. You would have thought I was at a petting zoo the way I was petting the new yarn. And I wasn't the only one doing it, either. There were 3 other ladies doing the same thing :lol

When I went up front to pay for my purchase, I asked the cashier if I could please speak to a manager. She looked a little worried, and I told her it was not a complaint, but a huge thank you. When the manager got up front, I thanked her for all the hard work they had done in the store, and thanked her for carrying more types of 'real' yarn, and not so much of the novelty yarn. I told her that Michael's was the cheapest place to buy Vanna's yarn (2.99 a skein). I told her that Michael's was the talk of the crochet forum I belong to and we are all so happy with the changes. She told me they still have more yarn to put out, and she was glad to hear how happy everyone is with the changes.

I can't wait to see it fully stocked.

Ok, I am jealous! While our Michael's has a fairly large yarn department, I was there yesterday and they have nothing new and expect nothing new. :cry I want some new stuff at a reasonable price too!

Now it makes sense to me why Michael's had all the baby yarns in shopping carts in the middle of the main aisles with the yarn shelves empty. Lots of stuff on clearance too.

Good to hear there will be more choices. Sounds like they will be cutting down on some of the novelty stuff. The Michael's here has two long rows of yarn. One of those rows has a small section of SWS and Wool Ease. The rest is all novelty/fun fur type yarn. I noticed a good deal of that had red tags on them the last time.

I am so glad I found this thread. I went to Michaels yesterday to get some WW yarn for the Traveling Hook II project and was STUNNED to find most of the yarn bins empty...no RHSS, no Caron, no baby yarn, no Homespun. I saw baskets up front with clearanced yarn and thought "there's no way Michaels can stop selling yarn when knit and crochet is so popular." It all makes sense now. I'll have to check back next weekend.

Joyce

Angie, I used to go to Michaels in Camrillo, I lived in Newbury Park but we moved to Michigan, sure do miss CA.

I love Camarillo, we thougt about moving up the grade to Newbury Park or T.O. but Camarillo has much nicer (cooler) weather and very little fog and a nice small town feel.

I'm sorry you moved, it would have been nice to have someone close that I could have met up with to share crochet. I've lived here 7 years and really know very few people and not a soul I know crochets :hook

After being gone on vacation for a couple weeks, then being busy with college at night and work during the day, I finally went to Michaels. Oh my goodness. They are totally revamping the store outside the base where I live. The really great thing is that we now have more Bernat (Softee Chunky - love it!; and even Satin - heard of but never seen), and now they are even selling RH Soft Yarn - yippee!!! There's an amazing selection of bigger size Caron Simply Soft (still cheaper at Wally but colors I can't get there I can get at Michaels). Can't wait till they get all done with the revamp. I think they're going to start selling Vanna as well. Before they started remodeling, they had one bin of Vanna in white and it was still there today. Once they are done, they will hopefully have more colors and hopefully at the lesser price than Hobby Lobby. ($3.99 is just more than even online) Anyway, if you're in the Springs, it's the Michaels by USAFA.

I'm so glad to hear that this is what they're up to! I haven't had a chance to see whether they've finished the reset yet, and now I'm excited to go look instead of dreading it. Yay!

How wonderful to hear! I'll have to check out my local Michaels again. It's certainly nearer to home than A.C. Moore, which usually has the best selection in my area.

:yay

I can't wait for my Michael's to get all their new yarn out! The last time I was in there they had the big mess, yarn in shopping carts, etc., and I was also afraid they were making the yarn section smaller. So happy to hear it's the opposite! :clap:cheer

I was at a Michaels that is near my moms house and I stopped there quickly and found new RedHeart in Zebra and Pink Camo which I hadn't seen before. I am going to check out the Michaels nearer to my house this week, hopefully they will have it also. Just waiting for a sale since they are now up to $2.49 a skein (the most expensive that I have seen).

LI Roe

Archived