Michaels' Yarns Expanded!

angieInCA

I can't wait till the Michaels is built in Morehead City, NC. Then I can go home and not have to drive over an hour just to get the basics in yarn. I know a two places closer that have specialty stuff, but not having a Michaels there was crazy.

I agree with you all, the yarn department is great! I teach at my Michaels and I was watching their redo and I got all excited about the new Vanna yarns and others coming in. Also, a benefit to this is the clearance isle is full of great buys!!! I bought 2 skeins of yarn and 1 #10 large crochet cotton for $3!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in my local Michael's the other day. Now the last time I was there, they had the yarn department all torn up. I came here and you all were talking about your Michaels expanding their yarn dept.

Well, I am here to tell you that my Michaels, has reduced their yarn dept by 2 rows. That's right, there is even less then there was before. The thread and cotton section are a joke.

So I am glad you guys have more yarn in Michaels, I am sorly p--sed that mine has reduced theirs.:no

Ours hasn't changed much that I can tell as far as space goes. We only had end caps of yarn and one aisle and a small wall of yarn choices. The thread and notions looks about the same. Thread choices are dismal as usual.

We do have some different yarn choices: Bernat Satin, Red Heart Soft, as well as some higher end yarns from Bernat, and Vanna's choice for a good price.

My Hobby Lobby has more yarn but a good half of it is the Yarn Bee Brand which I don't care for much. They do have a better selection of threads. They carry Cebelia.

I'm with Tampa Doll....I went to Michaels today and they reduced the yarn section by half. They used to have 2 and a half aisles. Now it's only one aisle and half of another row. They did get rid of all the novelty yarns (clearance in other racks for $2 each) which was a good thing. They added quite a few new ones....Vanna Whites, Bernat Softee Chunky, some alpaca blends, as well as a few all natural cottons. The yarn I was most impressed with was the Bernat Bamboo...it is sooo soft, but it was expensive for the small amount you would get so I probably won't get any...unless I go every week with a 40% off coupon and buy one at a time (which I have done before, lol). I have found that Joann's is the best place for yarn though since they opened last year. They have a HUGE selection and great prices, plus you can use more than one coupon.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that our Michael's stores here in Pennsylvania have also expanded. I've been shopping in AC Moore. Looks like it's time to go check the competition. I was so disappointed when I saw Walmart's yarn department was down to both sides of one aisle!

The Michael's here where I live in Michigan has decreased the size of their yarn department. JoAnn's on the other hand, just finished remodeling and have doubled the size of their yarn department. :hook

Archived