How many of you knit as well as crochet?

boo1

I've had a terrible time learning to knit. I'm a lefty & one of these days I'll have to learn continental stitch. Right now I can only do the knit cast on & basic knit & purl stitches. I do it left-handed & throw the yarn.I want so bad (It sounds like I'm certainly not the only one) to learn to use double points so I can knit socks. Don't even mention 2 circulars! That seems much more complicated to me.

I have really only knit a few afghans (from squares that I sewed tog), many scarves & some shawls. I think knitted scarves look so much better for boys & men than crocheted ones.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mostly crochet, but I can also do (simple) knitting. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found crochet fast and easy, and struggled with knitting. All those stitches to keep track of! But I am improving :)

My gran tried to teach me how to knit (throwing method) when I was small, but I just couldn't get the hang of it - my stitches were too tight, and I kept ending up with a different number of stitches each row.

But I decided to try knitting again recently, and now I can do long tail cast on, and basic knit and purl no problem; I am currently working on a simple scarf with a pretty shell lace pattern. It's odd - my stitches tend to be tighter when I do continental, so I stick mostly to throwing for now. I know everyone says that continental is easier for crocheters. Oh well, maybe with practice!

• 2 weeks later...

I do whichever one I am in the mood for. I can only do basic crochet things. I know more advanced techniques in knitting.I haven't done any knitting for a couple of months though as I am trying to bust through this stash. I find crochet quicker for that. I love doing both.

I crochet MUCH better than I knit. I am still on beginner level with the knitting. I like that I can switch between the two. Which is great for me when my wrist is sore from crocheting. I can still get a daily yarn fix...lol

I do more Knitting than I do Crocheting,but I like both. I actually need to practice more on my crocheting,because I can read the patterns,but not always get the stitches to look like they are supposed to.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's a question of the right tool for the job. Some items/designs/yarn work out better in crochet, some are better knit.

I learned to crochet first and then knit. I didn't like knitting as much until I learned continental method. It's really much faster and easier on the hands than the way most Americans knit (English method - that's how I was taught). If you don't like knitting or you're thinking of revisting knitting I cannot recommend learning continental highly enough! You'll be glad you did.

My first craft is crochet, but I do knit basic stitches for soft shawls and such. Variegated yarn and simple knit and purl can make beautiful shrugs.

I haven't learned the more advanced tecniques, and I probably never will. My thoughts always go to crochet when it comes to ideas for beautiful things.

• 3 weeks later...

I love crochet and that is what I taught myself years ago, but last month I bought a pair of knitting needles and a "I Taught Myself to Knit" book and I am a beginner knitter. I made a long, soft scarf for my brother and it turned out very nice. I find I really like knitting and there is so much to learn. I think there is room for both knitting and crocheting in my life.

I'm trying to learn to knit again and I'm remembering why I gave up the first time around. After holding yarn in my left hand for 30 something years it's just awkward for me to use my right hand. I keep dropping the yarn and needle. :( I'm right handed and it seems that it shouldn't be awkward to hold on to a needle and yarn with my right hand, but it is. After all, I've been holding a crochet hook in my right hand. I'm determined to learn and I have plenty of incentive this time. I've recently seen a knitted entrelac shawl and I want to make one for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day.

...After holding yarn in my left hand for 30 something years it's just awkward for me to use my right hand. I keep dropping the yarn and needle. :( I'm right handed and it seems that it shouldn't be awkward to hold on to a needle and yarn with my right hand, but it is. After all, I've been holding a crochet hook in my right hand. ...

I'm telling you, continental method. You hold the yarn in your left hand (for right handers) almost exactly like crochet.

I agree with HelloLittleBirds, the continental method looks almost like crochet without the hook on the needle. You should check it out, MDickens.

You're right! Continental is something I can do and I feel much more coordinated now. :lol I've found a series of video tutorials using this method and have bookmarked each one. :yay I"ve never seen anyone knitting this way before so I thought English was the only way. When I Googled beginner knitting I saw lots out there but nothing to indicate English or Continental. Now that I know what to look for this should be much easier. Thanks!

I love crochet and that is what I taught myself years ago, but last month I bought a pair of knitting needles and a "I Taught Myself to Knit" book and I am a beginner knitter. I made a long, soft scarf for my brother and it turned out very nice. I find I really like knitting and there is so much to learn. I think there is room for both knitting and crocheting in my life.

Was it pretty easy to follow the instructions in the book? I am a crocheter 100% but I really want to learn to knit!

I do both. I prefer crocheting Its faster. I do knit fast but it still takes longer. It has to be a killer style for me to pick up the needle. My Mother was the opposite. She liked to knit. I inherited alll her needles when she died. She must have 3 and 4 of the same sizes. I am looking for a good home for them. Not quite ready to part with them but I want them to be cared for.

I learned in a little over two hours watching youtube.I just couldn't figure it out from a book. Its just been a week and I am knitting evenly and not losing stitches, I even learned how to do continental left handed ( meaning my yarn is in the right hand)

I recently learned to knit .. contentinal style :) I love any craft to do with fibers, so I had to learn knitting too :) I prefer doing crochet, but I also like the fabric that comes from knitting .. both crafts make some pretty cool stuff.

Crochet is my first love though ...

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the "I Taught Myself to Knit" kit yesterday afternoon and have successfully cast on about 15 stitches and done 3 rows of knit stitches (that don't look completely terrible!) I tried doing traditional knit and it was super awkward--continental is MUCH easier for me! I am having difficulty with the yarn I'm using--I pulled a skein of Caron SS out of my stash and it is splitting on me like crazy!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been crocheting for over 20 years.....I learned to crochet to quit smoking and have been enjoying it ever since.....and am still a non-smoker. I took a class about 17-19 years ago and made two sweaters which were way too big when I made them, so much, that I had to use the sewing machine on the sides and then cut the extra off.

HPIM2539.jpg

HPIM2541.jpg

I'm currently taking another class in knitting because I wanted to knit again and couldn't remember a thing. I also believe that I am learning more in this class. My first project was a pair of felted slippers:

HPIM2567.jpg

I am now currently trying to make sweater. My teacher at the local yarn shop, Lamb's Wool, had me make the slippers to learn on and this basic sweater to get the fundamentals of shaping down. She then said I could try anything else after that. She does this so that you don't get frustrated on trying to make something too difficult at first and quit. Her theory is to get the basics down first and go from there. I do want to learn to make socks for my hubby...that's coming real soon.

My love is crocheting and yes it is much faster but I like the way knitting looks and would to get just as good with knitting.

I can but I don't. I find it so restricted as well as long winded and generally boring. Crochet has a general freedom about it that knitting doesn't.

I saying that, I recently found a wonderful pattern for a pair of knitted gloves. So I downloaded it and talked nice to a friend to make it!

Archived