Red Heart Super Saver Yarn

Has anyone noticed the difference in the Super Saver Yarn. A salesgirl

at AC Moore told me that a different company is now making their yarn!!

Bad enough that the verigated yarn has always been thinner than the

solid colors, now the newer skeins of yarn coming in are thicker and much

coarser. I find them a little difficult to work with and when I make a

project that calls for more than one color, you definitly can see the difference in the yarns.:no Has anyone else had the same problem or

heard what is going on with the change in the yarn:eek .

You are kidding? I just bought like 8 skeins of different color RHSS yarn for an afghan. I hope the different colors don't contrast that much. Thanks for passing on the info.

Yes, I've had issues with RH yarn. Some skeins are thicker than others, some have clumps of thickness in it that have to be cut out, the "no dye lot" colors don't match, etc. The quality has gone down and the price has gone up. They used to be 8 oz. skeins, now they're 7 oz. Don't get me started! :no

I noticed the change awhile ago with RH. I have since switched to Bernat Super Saver. Had some issues with the first few skeins I had, but none since. It seems softer too. I have to order online since the only LYS is the dreaded Walmart. lol

Yes, I've had issues with RH yarn. Some skeins are thicker than others, some have clumps of thickness in it that have to be cut out, the "no dye lot" colors don't match, etc. The quality has gone down and the price has gone up. They used to be 8 oz. skeins, now they're 7 oz. Don't get me started! :no

:reyes Oh' I so agree..... & the lil knots are so frustrating.

Yes, I noticed this with Red Heart in general some time ago so have shied away from using it because of the courseness.:angry I would rather spend a bit more or stock up on other brands when on sale. :yes I just became introduced to Hobby Lobby's brand "I Love This Yarn" which our HL is stocking with the Red Heart. It has its problems with clumps and thinness in spots but it is soft and supple and for that I am thankful. It is $1.99 for 7 oz. Not many colors to choose from yet in our HL so I am hoping to see more soon. Kathy:yay

I've only had a problem once. The varegated I bought kept coming untwisted and my hook would go through the middle of the yarn! :angry

And it's definately coarser. Although I haven't tried washing yet. Doesn't it usually soften up after that?

Aw, shoot. I knew I should have bookmarked that page! Okay, just did a search and found it:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Features/Red+Heart+Super+Saver.htm

'Important' info on the supersaver yarns.

I had bought a skein of white a few months back, and although the label said worsted, it was not much thicker than sportweight. I was desparate for white, and for the project I was working on, it was okay. What I hated was that there were multiple areas where it hadn't been spun properly, so I had a few cut and join sections more than I wanted in my project.

Sally

I had the problem a couple of years ago with a single-color afghan I made for my wife in "Frosty Green". I didn't buy all the yarn at one time because (1) no dye lot (2) it was a surprise and I didn't want a stash of her favorite color yarn around.

The afghan turned out great, but the stripe upsets me every time I see it.

th_2006-05-04-001.jpg

You can see the bottom of the afghan is (much) darker. She still loves it since I went to so much trouble making it in secret.

Wow. I just bought a bunch for an afghan and it's different colors (Harry Potter House colors). I forgot one color:blush , but the rest seem great. I've used 5 different colors. All same thickness and quality, so far.

I also bought some from Micheals and some from walmart (Micheals didn't have all the colors I wanted).

I found the yarn to be surprisingly soft. Not super soft, or Simply Soft quality, but rather soft. Maybe it was because I crochet loose and using an I hook which is larger. But I'm enjoying working with the yarn again.

Debbi

I had the problem a couple of years ago with a single-color afghan I made for my wife in "Frosty Green". I didn't buy all the yarn at one time because (1) no dye lot (2) it was a surprise and I didn't want a stash of her favorite color yarn around.

The afghan turned out great, but the stripe upsets me every time I see it.

th_2006-05-04-001.jpg

You can see the bottom of the afghan is (much) darker. She still loves it since I went to so much trouble making it in secret.

that would drive me round the bend. i wish yarn companies understood how much "who we are" comes out in our work and this leaves a bad taste.

It is a lovely ghan... the love shines through even in the colour change. :wlol

Aw, shoot. I knew I should have bookmarked that page! Okay, just did a search and found it:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Features/Red+Heart+Super+Saver.htm

'Important' info on the supersaver yarns.

I had bought a skein of white a few months back, and although the label said worsted, it was not much thicker than sportweight. I was desparate for white, and for the project I was working on, it was okay. What I hated was that there were multiple areas where it hadn't been spun properly, so I had a few cut and join sections more than I wanted in my project.

Sally

Thanks for that information. I didn't know about the codes on those colors now.

i guess i'm weird but the "knots" don't bother me --I think it gives my work a more "natrual" look you know a little roving --I mostly make afghans tho' so I suppose it wouldn't be so good if I were making clothing. I really haven't found that much problem with the RHSS as I have the CARON SS -- I have trouble with it splitting -- seems like it is not wound very well--but I still use it it is so soft and has a lovely shine.

after doing a few afghans in RHSS, I discovered Bernat super value at Meijer, and it was less expensive, softer, comes in 8 oz. packages, and with more colors. I haven't gone back. It's soft enough that I have made several doilyghans for baby blankets and several warmer sweaters for my dd and dn. I also use it for so many other things (that is, when I'm even working with yarn ;)) that I prefer it over even Caron SS (but this is just because there are more colors to choose from!). Now, JoAnn's Etc. stores are carrying it in the huge 1-lbr. skeins, but there aren't as many color choices yet.

Oh thank goodness...I thought it was just me! I just bought about 12 skeins or Red Heart for an afghan and after starting it I couldn't figure out why I hate the way the yarn feels! I've used you plenty of times but now I just don't care for it! After this project I will be switching to Bernat or the Hobby Lobby brand! :yes

I know that TLC yarn is made by Red Heart. I dont really like Red Heart because of its coarseness, but I dont think that TLC is much softer either. Even the TLC Baby is pretty harsh. But, as far as uneveness, I haven't noticed that with the TLC. But, there is also Red Heart Super Soft, which I think is actually pretty soft. But its a little more expensive and def. not a super saver!! Personally, I like Lion Brand (but dont really buy it too often because its really expensive) and Caron Simply Soft. However, Caron Perfect Match, is not soft to me. They make 1 pound skeins for a pretty good deal, but it's not worth it to have itchy yarn in my hands.

Maybe it's me, but the RHSS seems a lot thicker and fuller than previous. I like it better.

I usually make afghans with the RHSS. Last year the varigated yarns seemed a lot less thicker than the solid colors, and the black seemed a lot more thicker than the other colors. I made an afghan in which the black was almost like rug yarn, and the varigated was almost like sport weight. I still have some of the varigated which I wanted to use for a small fridgie, but decided against it because it was too thin (and I was going to augment with black).

Now, the black doesn't seem as thick, and the solids and varigated seem to be the same thickness. Now, I'm a happy crocheter.

Although, I should look at the Bernat super saver.

• 4 weeks later...

i'm more curious about the major bankruptcy of more than one acrylic yarn manufacturer. that's pretty weird.

as for red heart.. well, it's never been soft. i made the "63-more" out of it in ecru, and it softened considerably in the wash, but i never got the cuddly "aah" feel out of it.

i have a very scratchy red, white, & blue variegated Red Heart that i made a jump rope out of for my daughter. i was toying around with an idea for using the leftover, and this thread settles it for me:

red heart variegated shower scrubies! yeah, my skin will be so soft! :)

I just finished a prayer shawl in varigated and after soaking it in fabric softener it turned out very soft and nice. Don't know if that will work as well with other colors.

I like the Caron Perfect Match over RHSS, myself. I just picked some up at Michael's for an afghan for my grandmother, and it's much softer, and seems stronger (has more plies, maybe?). My mother thought it had cotton in it, it was so soft.

I won't be buying any more RHSS if I can get the colors I want in Caron Perfect Match!

Tracey, I too have ordered Bernat SV. It is great yarn and consistent in quality so far. The problem is, I have to order it online as there is no local store that carries it even though Bernat's website says they do. I checked the five stores in this area that "carry" SV, and none had it.

Geezzz......Debbie

uwcheese

Archived