I buy tons of yarn and don't make anything!!

NeedSleep....Are you me? I am exactly the same way. Just look at my stash. And these pictures were taken about a year ago or so and I've added more yarn/thread to it all. My DH even bought the furniture (closets, shelving, cabinets) to keep it all organized. And what have I completed since then? A witch's hat, a tooth fairy pillow (3 to be exact), a couple of bookmarks, and maybe one or two other items which I can't even recall now. And then there's my PAS (pattern acquisition syndrome)...that's another story. SAD....so SAD!

As a side note, I am currently making some Daisy Squares for Krystal.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Donate them or send them out to people who wish for them. Someone would really appreciate it.

Wow, I'm IN LOVE with yarn too (of course that goes without saying if you're a crocheter) but I LOVE everything about YARN! I love to look at it and feel the textures and the colors and I love the way it looks a a 'hank' and then putting it on my swift and winding it into balls.

I love collecting it and sorting it and stashing it. I take it out and pile it up and put complementary colors together and imagine the projects I'll make.

And I love the magazines and patterns. I put them in binders and I go through them in the evening and read the instructions and imagine doing the stitches.

And hooks! I LOVE hooks. I sort them and make covers for them and line them up. I love wood hooks the most. And different types of hooks. I just sold a book on eBay and turned around and bought a set of three lighted hooks 'cause I don't have any lighted hooks.

I:manyheart LOVE:manyheart CROCHET:manyheart AND:manyheart EVERYTHING:manyheart ABOUT:manyheart CROCHET.

You are not a weirdo.

I am taking a break from cleaning my walkin closet. Next I will tackle the 3 bins of yarn. I will be donating a lot to charity. I have already gone through my clothes.

Whew!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

• 8 months later...

Wow.. glad I'm not the only one! I have a large spiral laundry hamper full, plus a tote, and random bags full stashed about my room. My parent's think I'm crazy... and when I buy more yarn, especially the expensive stuff... I leave it in my car and sneak it in the house when they're not home... that way I avoid the grand inquisition about why I need more yarn and that I should finish what I have...

My boyfriend is fine with it, but he lives in another state and isn't around it much. But he does understand my obsession. He listens to me talk about yarn, I listen to him ramble on about Lost. It works out. ;)

And the problem would be ... ?

Well, I would put like kinds together and start making items with stripes.

Bags. I love making bags. Small, medium, large, it doesn't matter. I just finished making a set of three small bags for my sister's camera, tape recorder, and electronic sudoku game using dark plum and a variegated. Just prior to them, I made a rainbow striped bag for a friend. Now I am starting a big shopping bag / tote bag for myself with rose coral, yellow, and white.

I'm trying to control my addiction by doing a little bit of personal stash-busting - only allowing myself to buy a ball when I've used a ball. In my case, I am addicted to the colours - I LOVE colours, I love the colours of the wool when it's all together. Drooooooool....

In any case, having a million single balls of wool is no big deal. Sort them according to weights and START crocheting! Look at the Babette blanket for inspiration about how to use up random colours. Start grannying... let your imagination go wild... As soon as you have squares, you can start sewing them together or donating them.

And then the day will come when you see how your little skeins of wool have grown up and become a great, big blanket. Then you'll have to hand it over to a (hopefully grateful) recipient while you secretly wipe away a little tear....

... and then you go to the nearest wool shop AND GO WILD!!!!:cheer

There are some great ideas on here. If you need to sell it too, you could always list what you have that you want to get rid of in the for sale section on here on crochetville. :) Another idea (that might have been mentioned, I don't know) is to give them away for RAOK's. Those are random acts of kindness, where you look at people's wish list, and then give the yarn to someone who seems to like that kind of yarn. Believe me, it wouldn't take long to find people who would like to get some free yarn as a gift! :) Right now too, the secret pal swap is just opened, so you could go there, and you'll VERY likely get a partner who wants yarn, and you could give her some of your yarn, as long as it's new, and is something like what she said she'd like.

Good luck, and yes, you are normal. :)

Victoria

sounds like you are quite normal to me, lol. I sometimes buy yarn just because I like the color and once I get it home I always have a hard time finding something to make with it so it just sits in my tub with the rest of my collection. This just proves we are 100 % true hook-ers ,lol

Not only do I buy loads of yarn, but I also "inherit" it from friends who are cleaning out their stashes. When I have a bunch of yarn that's not quite enough to make something with, I make pet blankets (a.k.a. Snuggles) and donate them to my local humane society. The Snuggles are a tax deductable donation (for those who itemize) and the animals don't care what color they are! They just want something warm to snuggle into in their cages while waiting to be adopted to a good home. Snuggles work up real quick - try using 2 strands held together, a hook size N or P, and just single crochet. I chain 41 to start, then just single crochet each row until it reaches the (required) measurements for the snuggles. They have 3 sizes, small, medium and large. The only thing I'd recommend is that you make them from machine washable/dryable yarn so they're easily cleaned. Check out the website and Happy Crocheting!!!

EagleEye

Maybe you just like to look at the cool colors! :yarn:yarn

Maybe you just like to know you have something there if you need it! :hook

Maybe you just like to buy it on sale and be excited oabout the great deal! :yay

Oh...that was me......

Why don't you just try to make some wonderful granny squares!! You have everything you need and you can make lovely afghans for everybody in your family!!! And all of those single skeins are enough for scarves too!!

I agree it is the texture and colour I am addicted to. I am about to move house and have my stash down to four huge boxes. I sent two huge bin bags worth to my Mom. (she was delighted) You know I started buying wool long before I could crochet and at the time hadn`t knitted for years. I would buy the wool and then think "one day". I now have only wool that I have a project in mind for.

I can totaly relate to the "hide it in the car sneak it in later" theory.

I am on a self imposed yarn fast. Though I did buy some cream and white the other day as I didn`t have any for a blanket I need to make lol.

i have such a stash in fact its over run my craft room(10x12) and is in the dining too not to mention the bed room and of course my car trunk:blush:blush:blush:blush who said you have to have a pattern to make before adding more to the stash:devil:devil:devil

So I have a problem. I buy random skeins of yarn here and there and RARELY actually make anything.

I started about a year and a half ago. Sinc ethen I've made 3 amigurumis and 2 baby blankets. (Those baby blankets were both done last month)

I would be embarrassed to count the balls of yarn I have stashed away. 50?? 75??

Thing is, most of them are only one of each color and so old that the dye lots would be different. I don't even like 90% of them anymore.

I am now totally addicted and want to start more projects, but I'm weird about actually starting. I'm super crazy picky about the pattern, the color, the yarn... and then I'm so afraid it'll turn out ugly that I don't even start.

Weirdo.:lol

And this is wrong HOW????? :lol

Archived