Homespun....are you kidding me???

NeedSleep

So I decided I wanted to try a BICO. I've never made a wearable before and was excited to try one everyone said was so easy. I buy my Homespun yarn, 4 skeins because I couldn't decide color and had isions of making more than one anyway...

HA!!! Are you kidding me??? How in the world do you crochet with homespun? It's like looking for a needle in a haystack, I can't see a loop to work into it and then when I do, it gets snagged and I can't pull it through.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I feel the same way about homespun. I managed to make something with a really large hook, but I can't deal with not seeing where to hook into. Too bad, because it's warm, cuddly and beautiful.

Oh, I just love Homespun. It's the softest yarn after a few washings. I make all my bedspreads with it! I've never had a problem working into it. Are you working with a dark color? Usually it's easier with a lighter color.

It helps to use a big hook. I found when I first started crocheting that it was hard to find the stitch with a smaller hook. Now, with a few more miles under my belt it would probably be easier for me to use it with a smaller hook.

Sorry you are having problems. I've heard some people do have problems with homespun but I never have - I love it. I just finished an afghan with it and it's so soft! I've also made the Martha Stewart Coming Home poncho with it - I like it.

I had trouble at first too, but after a few rows, I got better at working with it.

I found that if I did it somewhat by Feel, that worked better.

(I used a dark color too... I never actually was able to see the hole for the hook, but it got easier as I went along).

Good Luck with your Bico! Can't wait to see it.

That is why any pattern using HomeSpun is usually a sc, hdc, or dc - you usually have to do it by touch.

It takes some getting used to, but I am sure if you give it a chance it can work. It's actually one of the nicer yarns out there!

I love homespun for scarves and caps. It works great for these with an H or J hook only if the pattern is really simple like DC only!! If you are trying to do something intricate, don't use this yarn!! I think the way it is designed is just for simple stitiches so the finished product looks like it was more difficult. :)

It is such a soft yarn and well worth it if you can get the project completed. I did several prayer shawls out of it and I finally just got used to working with it, so hang in there! It is definitely not my favorite yarn to work with, but the texture of the finished product makes it worthwhile!

I love homespun too. I often use 2 strands of it together.

I do agree however that it can be challenging to work with type of yarn.

It makes an exceptional afghan and the baby yarn makes a delicious baby blanket.

I bought some Homespun a few years back to crochet a sweater after seeing the fab items some here had made with with it. I could never get past the fisrt few rows without becoming frustrated because I had problems finding the stitches. I guess the upside to that is that it hides mistakes really well! I decided to knit the sweater and it was MUCH easier to knit with the stuff. My only complaint about the garment is that it seems to grow longer by the hour when worn. It does regain its original dimensions when washed though.

Archived