Homespun....are you kidding me???

NeedSleep

I just wanted to follow up with this. I've made scarves out of homespun using a Boye 'N' hook, and it snagged frequently, but was doable. Well, yesterday I tried to crochet with a Crystalite 'K' hook, and it works SO much better! My only gripe with homespun now really is that I can't see individual chain type stitches. However, for the most part other than difficulties with the base chain I can crochet with it. It is nice and soft. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say that the only hook I can use with Homespun is the Lion Brand plastic hook. The hook is completely smooth, i.e. from the shank to handle the hook has no bumps. I think this helps the yarn move more smoothly and I don't seem to split the yarn when I'm trying to work more quickly.

It's a beast to tame! I finally figured out its easiest used to make simple scarves - with a simple stitch & a J or K hook. I bought skeins in different colors too because it just looks so pretty all wound up like that....but argh! :thair

I like the homespun, but like others have said "I'm a feely" knitter & crocheter... so seeing where to stitch is a non issue. It also helps if the hook or needles are super super smooth, a little knick (like a cat's toothmark) makes it a bit more difficult if it's catchin on this fluffy stuff. IMHO it's actually more like working eyelash yarn than like working "regular" yarn.

Lately my favorite yarns are the bulkier "homespun" style yarns, like Lion's Homespun or Brown Sheep's Lamb's Pride or the Patons SW. I just like the textures of the yarn and the way the stitch textures turn out.

Archived