So sad to see.......

I hate seeing them at thrift stores. I'll see a bunch of them hanging. And some are still pretty decent. Some are old 1970s colors, but some are really pretty. I hope the person who gave them away loved them and wanted to just share them with someone else and maybe was doing the flylady thing we're talking about...

Or maybe, someone crocheted them and hoped they would go to a good home.

Years ago I was out yard saleing in Spokane Wa. We found this sale and there was an older woman. Her kids were selling off the brand new afghans she made to keep her hands busy for the cost of the yarn. $25 for a large afghan, $15 for a baby. These were not a simple dc or anything like that. The large ones were made of white squares with pink or red roses in the middle. The baby ones were large enough for a toddler or small child to use, and I think they were a box stitch or a ripple. I have been kicking myself for 7-8 years for not getting several but at the time I just didn't have the money. They were beautiful work. There were big piles of afghans....

They were also selling off the silver jewelry from a silver shop she had run with her husband when she was younger. I got my favorite silver necklace for $2. It was truely sad to watch what had to amount to large portions of her life being essentially given away.

I don't get why it's sad if they're being sold (yard sale or thrift store). Maybe something happened that makes it too hard to keep them. Maybe they just need the money. Maybe they have far too many (yes you can have too many). You just never know what sparks someone into selling. It's better to think positive about it. Better there than the trash. ;)

Last summer I bought a queen size afghan for $4.00 at a lawn sale. I was with my MIL at the time and she says to me "you could make that" and I told her "yes, I could, but I would never finish it. Besides, all the yarn that went into this afghan cost way more than $4.00" Let me tell you, this baby is HEAVY!

Tina

I'm kind of glad that some are at Thrift stores or garage sales....An afghan is such a huge undertaking for me that I prefer to buy them from my local thrift store...I bought quite a few of them and they are now in a good home...When I can't keep them any more they will more than likely end up in a thrift store once again...:hook

I also have a few crocheted shawls that I bought, they are gorgeous too :)

The time and cost of the yarn is so much greater than buying some of them ready made :yarn

I look at afghans all the time at the thrift store. Actually, I found a nice one for $3. It's a baby afghan and didn't look used. So I now my new Grandson will use it. Even tho I wanted to make one, this was saved me some work and he'll be warm. I was even thinking of getting bed size afghans from there, I hate seeing them just hanging up!:)...............lise

I think its sad,after all the work someone has done and they wind up in the thrift store,I rescue ones that appeal to me,my best treasure is a fall colored ripple that was felted,thats my winter blanket for the car.

Linda

While finding 'em in thrift stores & garage sales are sad, finding 'em in the dumpster at work is downright heartbreaking. I work at a self-storage facility. I'm always checking the dumpster to see what's in there. I've found a perfectly good American flag, a king size hand made quilt in ok condition, and all kinds of stuff that I can't understand how folks can just toss. I also see what's been abandoned in the storage units. I picked up a box of quilting supplies in one.

Last month I finished my first Project Linus afghan. Deep down, I'm afraid I'll find it in my dumpster one day. If whoever gets it doesn't want it, better it end up in a thrift store or garage sale.

Ruth

It may be sad to see, but we have a thrift store around here that I would rather take my creations to. This way, someone can enjoy one of my creations, and the money from it will benefit stray animals that wouldn't have had a chance in the pound or on the streets. To me, this just makes the best of both worlds.

Sorry, just had to put in my two cents.

Sometimes when people go to nursing homes (or worse), the family cleans out the house and storage units. A lot of stuff gets thrown out. The family was too busy to help an elderly relative, so my friend (16 YO) stayed with her grams and helped her clean out the house to be sold. Everyone wanted to dump everyting, and not deal with it. My friend got lots of great stuff, and sold what nobody wanted. She made over $200.00 (a lot of money then). Some stuff she still has, is worth alot now, on E-Bay.

Ellie 13

It may be sad to see, but we have a thrift store around here that I would rather take my creations to. This way, someone can enjoy one of my creations, and the money from it will benefit stray animals that wouldn't have had a chance in the pound or on the streets. To me, this just makes the best of both worlds.

Sorry, just had to put in my two cents.

I would have to agree.

I would not want to see them in the trash either, but the unappreciated ones are what make me sad. My bother died in Iraq 9 montha ago and my sister in law got so many blankets and she kept every one of them. She got some for her, my niece, and the baby that wasn't even born yet. he is 2 months old now..

One of my favorite afghans is a Goodwill find -- my hubby actually knows to paw through the crocheted stuff to see if anything looks like a wonderful bargain, and he spotted it and fell in love with it. It's a gorgeous ripple blanket done in shades of red, orange, and yellow (graduated shading) with a brown thrown in as an accent colour. The cool thing about it is that it was obviously originally intended as a full-sized blanket but it was made using wool yarn and someone washed it and felted it, so now it is sofa-sized. Perfect condition, but the person apparently thought they'd "ruined" it, and so took it to Goodwill. My good luck, in this case. <g> I actually hope to someday make a similar ripple in shades of blue or violet using all wool yarn and felt it down to make a thick wool blanket for my bed. But that'll have to wait til I'm absolutely rolling in dough, because I certainly couldn't afford that much wool yarn now! LOL

Lene'

I understand that it is painful to think that someones crochet efforts are not appreciated and valued. We feel for the crocheter because we know the effort and caring that went into making the afghan. But maybe it is there because someone made it for the thrift shop and donated it, hoping that it would find a good home with someone who otherwise could not afford it.

Another thought - this yarn has already provided a creative outlet for one person, why not unravel the yarn and use it to make another afghan? Cheaper than buying new yarn.

I'm so posting a poll. How many crocheters, after they learned to crochet, have bought a crocheted afghan or blanket? :) I'm still a sucker for them, even though I know I could make it myself. Doesn't that seem funny? :)

I'm so posting a poll. How many crocheters, after they learned to crochet, have bought a crocheted afghan or blanket? :) I'm still a sucker for them, even though I know I could make it myself. Doesn't that seem funny? :)

Selune, your question got me thinking. If someone (who knew you crocheted) came into your home and really liked the blanket, would you just say "Thank you" as if you had made it or would you let them know you didn't make it?

Archived