Crochet magazines....has anyone made anything from one?

crochetdiva

I have a cazillion crochet magazines....and I have only ever made a handful of items from them. I love to buy them...and peruse them and then put them away. I just wondered how many people actually make anything from their magazines.:think

Absolutely no crochet magazines are available here in India and very few books, either. I gaze longingly at the ads on the Net, knowing I will never see the publications. Once I managed to buy a bunch of Anna burda, a German magazine, with beautiful thread projects, and made several. If it were not for the Net, I would have no source of ideas. I rarely follow a pattern exactly, but I do like to see them, as a starting point. Reading patterns is a pleasure in itself, whether you make anything or not.

Three winters back, when it snowed here for the first time in a 100 years, I had actually made crocheted mittens (also hats and scarves) from one of the magazines. Pretty good timing :-) I keep a pair of the mittens in the car for those days when the sterring wheel is extra cold - imagine that, gloves in the glove box LOL.

I have made quite a few doilies amd fillet pieces from Magic Crochet. I'm hoping to break into my store room and find that box so I can make some of those 3D pieces (easter basket, eggs, and hats) now that I have neices.

I am seriously looking at maybe making one of the knitted purses. I'd never do a large knitted project (way too slow at knitting).

I've never made anything from the sewing, quilting and machine embroidery mags, mostly buy them for the how-to articles, and of course, the ads amd pictures.

Oh yes, I made my son and his wife some fancy hot pads and also a toy for my grandson. I've also tried bead crochet from a mag pattern. But I have to admit I love just looking at the pictures.

I've purchased the now out of print "workbasket" magazine and used ideas from them. I have some from the 60's to the 80's.

I have made many things from the magazines I get...sometimes it might only be one item out of one magazines, sometimes more than that...and many times, the magazines just serve as inspiration for other projects...like a stitch pattern from a sweater to be used in an afghan...something like that...

I've made many things from magazines. The Fringed Jacket by Lily Chin made with Berroco Seude http://www.wolfcrochet.com/page7.html was from BH&G' s first issue. Presently I am working on a granny jacket from Interweave Crochet. It uses lace weight yarn which is perfect for crochet projects since it doesn't have any bulk.

Most of the patterns I use come from books I have bought. I like reading the crochet magazines for information about new yarns, books, or events. Most of the crochet patterns I like are found in knitting magazines. I rarely find crochet patterns I like in crochet magazines. They just aren't my taste.

Oh yes, the one pattern I did try from a crochet magazine was an absolute disaster. Its the City Stripe throw by Leigh Radford, though I can't remember which magazine it was in. I bought exactly the same yarn in exactly the same colors. The throw looked gorgeous in the photograph, but in reality the individual colors, and some of the stripe combinations were hideous! Wish I could hire that photographer to take my driver's license photo!

I have, many many times. Mainly for thread though. And the magazine I always use is Crochet Monthly. It's a Brittish magazine, and the patterns are basically all graphs and diagrams.

My copies are all tattered from over-use!

I've made a few things from mags.

I'm working on the cable afghan pattern from the dec/jan 2007 Crochet Today.

In really need to finish up a the necklace from Interweave Crochet from the spring issue 2006?

I made a doily that had a heart theme from Crochet!

I have quite a few old issues of Magic Crochet that I have made doilies from, used the motifs for bookmarks and snowflakes.

I usually don't care for the clothing in most mags. There are a few sweaters on my wim list in Interweave Crochet I want to make. I'm just saving up the money to buy the yarn to make them.

Working on a doily from Crochet! (Jan 05?) issue right now (okay, when I get back offline). Also have and love Crochetworld...there's something in pretty much EVERY issue...and the chat/help columns are great. I'm now on a quest to find as many back issues of that one that I can find (yard sales, etc.) I also would like to get Feb 04 (I think) Annies Favorite crochet...it has a pink toddler dress on it that looks too cute! I save all my crochet mags. (my downloads are filling 4 binders, and now two manilla folders...next summer, I buy more binders during back-to-school :P)

I am the same way CrochetDiva. I love to buy the mags and look through them, read the fun articles and see what they highlight. But I have hardly made anything from them. I am starting to try to make myself stop buying them. Usually I have yarn and then go looking for a pattern that will work well with it. I usually end up finding something online!! I do like having the Mags there to go through for inspiration. Maybe someday my yarn will match a project in there somewhere!! LOL Obviously I go about things a little backwards. Stormy

Truth be told, I've only used one pattern from a mag. That's a basic hat template from Interweave Crochet, which has a lot of mileage because it's so adaptable. Mostly I cull design inspirations, new techniques, and stitch patterns. It's also a good way to see how different yarns look crocheted. However, I did just order the current issue of Crochet today because there are two garment patterns I definitely want to make.

OH, yes! I'm making a duster right now from a crochet magazine, and as I was turning the pages I realized I'd also made a top for my daughter from the same magazine. I love looking through them, too, and reading articles or 'spotlights' on crochet topics... my biggest problem is remembering which one that awesome design was in:lol when I'm ready to make it!

I have a gazillion books and patterns here at home but I do tend do do the ones on the internet why Who the heck knows :rofl and I thought I was the only one who did this :lol

But I have made things from the magazines also. I just posted one I made a Ruffled Doily in different color pinks which I got the pattern from a book...:hook

I have a million magazines and books too. And I read them thoroughly, and dream about making things out of them....but I'm usually to busy with other projects. But I can't part with them...because someday, I might.

Archived