CROCHET! newest issue

addictedtoyarn

Wow I got the new Crochet! issue yesterday at B&N It is really great! They have a bunch of cute shrug/bolero patterns in it I am in love with the green shrug on the front cover(and believe it or not it is made in easy to find yarns the main yarn is dark sage Caron SS) My favorite pattern is the black and white twin set about mid-magazine it is beautiful. anyone else get their's yet?

I have a subscription and got it last week or so. I was actually a bit disappointed in this one. There were only 2 things I really liked. Oh well, all the issues that had a lot outweigh this one ;)

Funny, it seems that all the magazines are now full of boleros and shrugs. I know they are fashionable but I feel that too much space is allotted to this style. Being a little old granny, I prefer to see one or two more classic patterns in each issue. I love Crochet! but lately the patterns have been a bit over the top for me. :(

I was rather disappointed, too. There are so many shrugs which I will never make and can't imagine wearing. (Just not my style.) I also noticed that none of their clothes are very big and I am, unfortunately!

I still haven't received mine :( . I don't understand... I thought we were supposed to receive subscriptions before they were out in the store :think .

I'm hoping it will show up soon.

Funny, it seems that all the magazines are now full of boleros and shrugs. I know they are fashionable but I feel that too much space is allotted to this style. Being a little old granny, I prefer to see one or two more classic patterns in each issue. I love Crochet! but lately the patterns have been a bit over the top for me. :(

I must be an 'old granny' too, Roli. LOL! I agree with you. I've always preferred Crochet!, but seems the patterns are getting more over the top with each issue. Their patterns are very fashionable, but only a few I'd make (or wear). Guess I'm all 'shrugged' out!

I'm glad Crochet! updated their crochet patterns, but would like to see a few easier/less advanced fashionable patterns.

charkitty

Funny, it seems that all the magazines are now full of boleros and shrugs. I know they are fashionable but I feel that too much space is allotted to this style.

Last year it was too many ponchos. I'd never make that many of either. lol

I think I'll buy this issue mostly because of Jackie's bracelet. :)

Personally I wasn't happy with the magazine at all. I'm so sick of shrugs, bolero's, hats, and scarves.

It's this type of thing that gives crochet a bad name (IMO) because they keep doing the same tired things over and over and wonder why crochet receives no recognition.

This was my last issue of the year subscription and I'm not renewing. I think it's a matter of personal taste, I just never like the clothing. To me the styles and color palettes are a bit 1980s--though 80s fashion is coming back around, legwarmers and all :). And they have a production value problem: I think their makeup artists and photographers just aren't very good, or don't have enough resources: harsh contrast studio lighting and overdone makeup in a lot of their photos. To me it makes the clothes unappealing. Compare to Interweave Crochet's approach--natural looking models and settings, soft natural looking lighting. Or Rowan mags and pattern books, where they really know how to work with light and shadow, composition, and classic makeup. The latter's probably not a fair comparison, they probably hire top-notch photographers. Okay. I'll stop playing critic now. :devil

I happened to get this particular issue as my trial subscription issue and I definitely was not impressed. I prefer my magazines to have a variety of items in them and not just be devoted to a particular topic (i.e. shrugs and boleros). I will definitely not subscribe to this magazine.

I understand what you are saying with the few "popular" pattern areas but I also look for patterns that I can modify to work with my body type. (currently more rounded than I would like with bigger hips) Crochet! often has patterns that I won't necessarily make for myself but they have things that I can work with to make something that I would like. Many of my other magazines don't have trendy patterns that I can mold and manipulate. Even though I don't like some of the patterns, I still love the magazine for the many possibilities just waiting for my adjustments.

I got my magazine and love a few of the patterns. I tried to start the lacy shells pullover, but my brain must not be working right. It was just too confusing. I'm hoping someone here at the "Ville" will make it and I can bombard them with questions.

There issues are really hit and miss with me lately. I actually bought this one, though I didn't last time. Course, I wanted the jackie O for my cousins, though now I'm not even sure I'll make it. Is it me, or does the dress on the front seem to bulky? It seems to make a skinny model look heavy. Maybe it's just me. I must be an old lady too (I've been saying that 23 is the new old) cause I'm getting tired of boleros, especially since noone seems to want to play with the shape. Most of them are so square shapped. I've seen one online somewhere that had rounded sides that fit snug to the body. The stitch pattern wasn't my favorite, but the lines were awesome. Would love to see some cleaner lines in Crochet! mag, something classier instead of flashy. That, and I'd love to see one issue that didn't have fun fur in it.

I understand what you are saying with the few "popular" pattern areas but I also look for patterns that I can modify to work with my body type. (currently more rounded than I would like with bigger hips) Crochet! often has patterns that I won't necessarily make for myself but they have things that I can work with to make something that I would like. Many of my other magazines don't have trendy patterns that I can mold and manipulate. Even though I don't like some of the patterns, I still love the magazine for the many possibilities just waiting for my adjustments.

I'm with you Roli, I've been "boleroed" to death with this issue... although like Iowa yarns, I can see a few patterns that have stitch patterns I like enough to tweak the pattern into a cardi!

Archived