Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

Thanks everyone for the concern and support.....it is awesome to have such great friends. Good news of the day.....we bought a car last night. :cheer Hopefully things will start to smooth out here even though we are now broke. ;) Honestly we are always broke so I am use to it.....atleast we have a car now. :lol

I have done absolutely no crocheting since the baby shower stuff. :eek Anything new going on in here?

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope this finds everyone well and not too big of problems. Haven't been keeping up with posts so I have no idea what is going on. Going to Dr. tomorrow. May have to change some meds so I don't want to sleep all of the time. Also get evaluated for Scooter store chair.

Diane, I know what you mean about not being in places for a long time. I make exciting discoveries every time I venture into the spare room. None as exciting as yours though. Very happy for you and envious too.

And now the good news: I finally finished all of the 63 squares and only have 7 more to hook to the afghan. If I am very industrious I might have it done in time for Photo Friday. Not holding my breath though.

Everyone take care and have a good day. Wanda

Morning folks

Late checking in, but my internet was down this morning. No idea why, but it's fixed now. It does that once in awhile .

Diane- WOW -- you went on a treausre hunt and found GOLD !!! Sounds great !

So, I have to ask, did you have your husband haul it all in the house for you now ?

Morning Sheila- how's it going out your way ? Working on anything in particular now ?

Marisa- not being familiar with the pattern, this is just a guess as to what it would be ,since I havent done it, but the stitches would either be too tight or the count is off ,and there aren't enough in that last round .

Either that, or your tension would have been tighter for some reason, but that would be my last guess .

Hope this helps -- maybe you'll be able to figure it out from my guesses .

Let us know if it is still giving you problems and maybe someone with the pattern can work one up quick to see where the problem might be .

Or if you could post a close-up photo of it, maybe we could figure it out .

Hi Joanne-

I'm with you on the Dancing predictions, I think those same 2 will be the 1st and 2nd placers . I think the girl will win 1st place --- I like her, but wish the boy would win, only because that little red-headed girl has been on so many seasons and has yet to win.. she is good and deserves a win . I'd be happy with any of them .

I'm with you , I LOVE Necey- but don't think she'll win. She's such a character !

Hey Tab-

Glad you got some new wheels.. I'd be totally lost without my car.. it's one of my best pals-- really old and worn out , but it's been a good car and takes me where I want to go no matter what .

It's probably about 157 years old in dog years .

Try picking up your hook and doing a little something -- maybe it'll bring you out of the doldrums a little bit . Worth a try anyhow !

Wanda- great news on your 63 -- you are as far as I know, the only one that will be finished with it ,including me .. That is wonderful that you stuck with it and are going to complete it. I just got too wrapped up in other things and lost the drive to keep going with it .

We'll be hoping to see photos when you get it done ~:)

Sorry Julie. Can't bring myself to start another afghan right now. Need to make some little stuff right now. When I talked to the activities director at the local nursing home, she suggest that I might want to make some cathiter(sp) bag covers to donate. I have no idea what they should look like. Does anyone have suggestions? Please PM if possible. Thanks.

Wanda

Yea, the peach would have been great, but that color is absolutely un-findable around here. I cannot find it anyplace, in WW or baby yarn either one ....

I ended up pulling out the bright orange and went to a duller orange called carrot , then I think I'm gonna go into a brown type color next.

I can't find one from the rust-orange type color that would melt into a purple, blue, green or red .... I tried putting a red next to the carrot color and none of them look good .

I'll have the same problem AFTER the browns, though -- nothing will melt from brown into one of the next colors .

So, some of my colors will just have to go from one shade to a totally different one .

Thanks for the idea though !

Good Morning House :coffee

Julie - Thanks for the ideas/guesses. After I finish my bfast, I'll count all the stitches around for each round :eek (Only 6 rounds so won't be bad). It seems a little better now though, it may have been how I was holding it while making it. I laid it on the table to flatten it out and was able to. Now when I pick it up & lay it back down there's just a slight wave to it. Overall, doesn't seem bad now, but will still count all my stitches before I proceed and finish off that color. Thanks!!!

Joanne - I know what you mean...it's almost a blessing in disguise not to have internet at work :think When there are things we're looking for or have a slow spell, my receptionist usually has her laptop with her so we'll use that sometimes. Pretty rarely though.

Tab - Great news on getting a car....what kind did you get? :clap

Wanda - Good luck at your Dr. appt, I hope it goes well! :yes

Alright, I'm going to count my stitches and will probably check back in quickly before I leave for work. Have a wonderful day everyone!!!

Hi Wanda- it's totally fine if you don't want to make another afghan ! Can't say I blame you, sometimes it's fun to work on small projects after doing something really big and time consuming .

Here's a website that has ideas for nursing home items -- they have wheelchair totes and things like that, so maybe they'd work for the bags this lady mentioned :

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/seniors.html

I think slippers might be nice too, only I always worry that they will slip and fall with crocheted slippers on .

I saw someplace online where you can use the little bottles of the rubbery-paint stuff ( can't remember what it's called, but it's the little bottles of paint in the crafts section that dries kinda rubbery-like ? Put ridges of that on the bottoms of the slippers to give them traction .

As I was walking over to my octagon and saw it laying on the snack table, I decided to take a quick pic for you. See, now it's just a little wavy, but it still disturbs me :think

Wow, that's funny, that pic looks flat :rofl OK, maybe I'm just anal and am losing it :eek

Julie - brown would be good by oranges and then fade with beiges and into grays maybe?

post-36814-135897525126_thumb.jpg

Marisa

Thanks for posting the photo - I'm trying to tell if I can see anything that looks unusual in the pattern -- it looks very pretty to me ..

Are all the sides the same number of stitches, or do they go from like 8 -10-8-10

( just an example, I can't see it close enough to count the stitches )

Are all the sides exactly the same number of stitches ?

It looks reaqlly pretty and doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it might -- I thought you meant it was really buckling up badly --

Maybe once they are put together with another one they will kinda settle into place ok .

It really looks fine to me ,though, but like I said, I don't have the pattern or haven't tried it, so not sure if anything might be off a little or not .

Thanks Julie - I found it really funny when I took the pic on the camers it looked like you could see it, but when I posted it...nothing! It's fine, I just finished counting and all the numbers are correct. Starting from the outside in the stitches are 16-14-12-10-8-6 for the light blue and are the same for each side. After thinking about it and seeing it on the photo, I think it will be fine and that most of it was due to how I was holding it to make it. I guess it just needed time to settle :lol No time to work on it now but tonight will finish of the blue and border in white....then onto the next. I have to do 19 more....exactly the same :eek just different colors

That's great Marisa !

I'm glad that the count was right -- it looks very pretty to me, so I think they will settle into place and look really pretty when joined together .

Great job,and they seem to go fairly quickly, so it shouldnt take too long to get them made .

Morning house mates, my morning started with a cranky, crying grandbaby. I hope he won't be crying all day for I want to work on some of my crafts. My daughter told me he wake up in a mood. :lol

I will read posts later I just wanted to say hi. :hug BBL

Judy / Julie - I did leave long tails on each half granny square that I crochet, but how do I join the half square together do I single crochet them together. What methods do you use to crochet the saltines together for the stitches don't show???? Thank you so very much for your help for this is my long term project and I want it to come out nice. :hook

Cheeria, I use a tapestry needle (blunt nose with a big eye) to whipstitch the squares together - using the BLO (Back Loop Only) I like the look best that way.

Just a hit a run but had to tell you all. I went out to the shed, oldest one of 2 sheds. I haven't been out there for awhile, (since my hospital bout last year) DH's gardening stuff has been in my way, weed wacker, plumbing stuff, manly stuff etc..... you get the drift. Plus the pathway to the shed is uneven, rocky and down hill. Not too good for my unsteady feet. I had DH walk with me out there, took a chair and told him to leave me and check back in 1/2 hour. I was originally looking for gift bags. Well, one think led to another and I was rediscovering my yarn stash. I am so embarassed to admit it but there were 7 totes of yarn. Yup, 7. 1 tote, all baby yarn, 1 all shades of white, off white, beige, 1 all browns, 1 all greens, 1 blues and purples, 1 yellow/orange/pink, 1 christmas colors, red/green/white. I was in heaven. Then I found a large garden size trash bag, guess what was in it....varigated yarn. I must have been out of my mind to have accumulated all this yarn. When I get back from my trip, I will take photos. I bet if anyone is looking for colors for the round, colorful CAL, I probably have it. :yes I sent DH away twice, think I spent about 1 1/2 hours out there. :D

Sounds like me when I was reorganizing my yarn in the garage and labeling the plastic totes - DH opened the door several times, nearly screetched at the sight, and quickly shut it till I was done with the mess:lol

That's a wonderful find, hon!:cheer

Judy- I caught a clip of the Yanks visit to the White House on ESPN, but didn't find anything on YES. I switched to DWTS at 8 though.

I'm going to check the pre game show tonight to see if there are any clips on the WH visit.

Thanks everyone for the concern and support.....it is awesome to have such great friends. Good news of the day.....we bought a car last night. :cheer Hopefully things will start to smooth out here even though we are now broke. ;) Honestly we are always broke so I am use to it.....atleast we have a car now. :lol

I have done absolutely no crocheting since the baby shower stuff. :eek Anything new going on in here?

Congrats on the new car!:cheer:clap

...and how about the new CAL Jules started:lol Making a multicolored ghan in the round...any version.

And now the good news: I finally finished all of the 63 squares and only have 7 more to hook to the afghan. If I am very industrious I might have it done in time for Photo Friday. Not holding my breath though.

WTG, Wanda!!:cheer:clap:cheerGo, girl, Go!:cheer:clap:cheer

hello all!!

Diane-- WOW GREAT FIND!!! like someone mentioned "you went treasure hunting and found gold!" That is just AMAZING!!!!

I've been searching for a project to work on. i got an order for a scarf with an argyle pattern on it, and i started it last night. i'll post pictures when I upload my iphone pix to the computer. lol

Good Morning Ladies :clap

It looks like a busy house again this morning. Weather is lovely today, I am almost done packing my stuff. Addie's bag is packed and she will be going to the Doggy Hotel today. :no I feel guilty about leaving her, am very sad. Dumb I know but she is my fur baby.

Tab~Congrats on a new car. I know what you mean about how they put a strain on the budget, but what can you do in this day and age. Gotta have a car and it better be dependable.:tup

Wanda~Congrats to you as well on finishing your 63. :cheer I have all the books and want to make one for myself but I need to get thru my gifty 'ghans first.

Julie~Thanks for the link to the nursing home items. I was always cold. My room was at the end of the hall, closest to the AC so in order to keep the rest of the hospital cool, my room was like a meat locker, I swear I could see my breath. :wbrr When I was in my wheelchair, my feet were always cold too. I am making some scarves for Christmas that will go to the care facility I was in. Socks would be good too, I didn't know they made non-skid stuff to use on them, I will be checking that out.

My new found stash of yarn is still in the shed. We live in a single wide mobil home so there is no way I could accommodate 7 totes of yarn, hence the sheds. But I did eliminate 2 large cartons and 1 large trash bag of stuff and the manly stuff has been relocated so my yarn is much more accessable. :D

Marissa~I think your octagon looks great. No ripples/waves that I could see. I'm sure it will make lovely 'ghan.:applause

Joanne/Julie~I'm with you on DWTS. :h5 I think the bachelor or Pam will go soon, then probably Ochocinco.

Sheila~I just put a friendship square in the mail today for your friendship afghan. Hope you like it. :gotmail

OK ladies, put on the sunglasses. Here is a pic of the mesh base for the plaid "citrus grove". It actually looks tame in the pic compared to "real life".

I'm off to make hummingbird nectar so the hummers will be OK while we are gone. I will check in later, but then it will be sporadic for me 'til we get back.

post-33556-135897525152_thumb.jpg

Afternoon house, grandbaby taking a nap. It is brisk and kind of cold today, but I took him out for some air so it will make him sleepy for nap time, look like the air did its job for he is out for the count. :lol

Diane - WOW nice yarn discovery it's like discovering hidden treasure in your own backyard. I also love the colorful "citrus grove" afghan.

Tabitha - Yippeee on the new car.

Wanda - 63 squares done, I know it's beautiful. One day I'm hoping to finish my 63 squares also.

Marisa - your octagon square look great and it appears to be flat.

Julie - I will use your methios of joing the half granny squares together.

While grandbaby is napping I'm going to run and do a few rows of knitting than I plan on starting dinner so BBL

Hi Ladies. :)

Welcome to Jennifer and Ally. :hook

You all have been so busy and I still have my same 34 squares to make. :lol I'm thrilled to be a Granny and am spending lots of time with DD and the little guy...wouldn't trade it for anything! :c9

Linda ~ You know we'll be here when you're able to come back. :manyheart Please let us know if you need anything. :hug

Tabby ~ Great news about the car! :yes

I must put groceries away and walk Gracie...I hope everyone is doing well. :manyheart

Hello and thanks everyone. :manyheart

Wanda~I PM'de you a link to a cloth catheter bag, but it has measurements and I think it would help. :yes Good luck!!

Marisa~It is a 2001 Buick LaSabre, it is the newest car we've ever owned. Our van was a 1995 and our cars prior to that were 1989's, so we are going in the right direction. :lol Definitely the nicest we've owned so far. Great price too, my Dad talked the guy down almost 400 bucks. :cheer

Judy/Julie~What is this new CAL? Did I read right, a round ripple? I hope so because I love, love, love the, and it would be a nice, easy, relaxing project. Might be just up my alley right now. :yes

Hello everyone. I'm on dh's computer again, but my new one is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be as problematic to get working, as Linda's was.

Diane, how fun to find all that yarn! I try hard not to accumulate a lot of yarn. Despite that I probably have about 25 skeins of yarn that I don't have plans for.

Your citrus grove afghan is going to be great.

Wanda, WTG on the 63 squares afghan. I need to work on mine again, although I think I will probably do only 49 squares.

Tab, congrats on the new car. When dh and I were your age, we were always broke too, and a car would've been difficult to pay for.

Marisa, I really like that octagon. I think it will lay flat when its sewn to the others, because I don;t see any rippling at all.

I have seriously over-scheduled myself this week. I worked today, and have a meeting for a church committee tonight. I don't have to work tomorrow, but I have to go to the dentist, get groceries, and go to a meeting at work. Thursday I have to work, and then dd and I are going to Indiana to the Vera Bradley factory sale. (DD's idea, not mine) We will be coming home late Friday evening, after having dinner with my sister in law, who is also going to the sale, and lives in Indiana. DD graduates from university on Saturday, which sounds like it will take most of the day. Next week is nearly as bad.

Archived