Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

Hello House mates!

Julie:hug:hug:hug to you my friend- Hoping that they can figure out what is causing your shortness of breath- I can only imagine how disappointed you must be about the reunion- so here's some more:hug:hug:hug:hug for you! Don't you worry about The House- we'll keep it going!!!

Judy- Love your "proof" and love the colors of your saltines!!!

Linda- Take it easy with the sewing- when the back starts talking it's time to rest! Hoping that John has success this weekend with the turkey feathers!

LeAnna- thinking of you and DH on your trek back home Stay safe!

Cheeria- sounds like you have been very busy!!! Good luck tomorrow getting ready for your daughter's friends baby shower!!

Diane- Again, have to say how much I love your afghan! And glad that the vertigo has subsided for now.

Marisa- My middle DD used to live in Center City- on Spruce- till she moved back to NJ in Jan- she decided to go back to school for her Masters in Art Education. She lived in Philly for about 2 years and loves it-(and misses it) but realized she needed to go get her grad degree - she is an artist- her undergrad degree is a BFA and her concentration was painting. She is finishing up her first semester of grad school in about 2 wks. Good luck getting the golf club covers done for your aunt- I know you will:cheer

Sheila- that's neat that you speak to your grandchildren on the net every day!

On my way home from work, my youngest DD called and asked me if I wanted to go with her to get a manicure/pedicure. So I came home, changed into comfy clothes and flip flops and met her at the nail salon- Oh, the massage chair felt like heaven. It was a great mother/daughter bonding time:manyheart

We are thinking of going to Rutgers Day tomorrow together. Depends on the weather. They have lots of activities planned.

Well, my house friends, I am tired- it was a long but good day!

Everyone- have a good evening!

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:hi Hi ladies,

Just making a quick stop.

Sheila~Your "little monster" is a cutie. What kind of furbaby is he?:dog

Linda~what quilt pattern/colors are you using? My sis loves to quilt. I use to but lack the space to accomodate it now. I took several quilting classes and loved when it was time to put the quilt on the frame. All of the other students would help baste it. It was thrilling to see it all stretched out, nice and taut and pretty. But I had too many crafts going and had to narrow it down. So now it is crochet, knit with a little bit of embroidery thrown in.

Marisa~good luck on your aunt's golf club covers. I know that you will get them done. I bet she will be happily surprised. BTW, I think you are right about this afghan, it does almost glow in the dark.:yes

Cheeria~I love reading the classics too. I read so many as required in high school, revisiting them again at this stage of my life, well, they just seem to take on new meaning. I have a nice little collection of classics. Leather bound, small volumes about 4" x 6". They were printed in about 1902-1905. Just luv em.:book

Joanne~you must be so proud of your DD to go back to get her Masters :artist and how nice to have bonding time with your other DD. I've never had a mani or pedi...but I sure do luv a massage chair.

Julie~thinking about you. :hug

Earlier this week I bought some raffle tickets for :earth Earth Day. Our local college was selling them. I forgot about it until today. I won a $25 gift card to our Grocery store (Fry's) and a $25 gift certificate to a local restaurant. :woo

Well, I think I am done for tonight. I'll check in again tomorrow. A happy weekend to everyone. :sleep

Early good morning!:coffee:coffee

Yes, it is earlier than I get up than I do when I have to go to work! :think Go figure! Fell asleep early last night and now am wide awake! I think this afternoon may call for a nap!

Diane- Congrats on winning the raffle! :clap How exciting! When are you going out to dinner with the restaurant certificate?

I think while the house is nice and quiet, I will do a little hooking! Even though what I want to do is cleaning (well, I don't want to clean, but it needs to be done and I'd love to get it out of the way, but don't want to be clanging and banging around while DH is sleeping):lol

BBL- Have a great Saturday- :coffee

Well gang,

I need to get back in here now and try to keep my mind occupied with other things .I took a day off to THINK,and now have to COWBOY UP and get tough . It won't do any good to sit around feeling sorry for myself, I just have to be tough and brave . I just feel kinda like a boxer who gets knocked down about 87 times in a row . Everytime I get up, something else knocks me down . I gotta get back up again and keep on fighting .

So, first of all, to address some of the posts :

Cindy- so sorry about the baby afghan. What a lot of work ,and to have to toss it .

Have fun with your parent's visit .

Sheila- I like your doggie .whats his name ,and are his eyes really blue, or do they just look blue in the photo ?

Diane

Wow, another terrific afghan ! You sure make some beautiful ones ,and always choose pretty colors .

And speaking of colors, I know we all have our own tastes in colors, but the Dr who likes the lemon yellow, lime green and black ? WOW . :lol

Have a good time at the restaurant where you won the certificate for . what types of food do they serve ?

Jude

Great work on your saltines. They are REALLY pretty .

Hi Cheeria- I like to read too, but just don't make enough time in the day to do it much anymore. I need to do that, though,because I have lots of good books to read laying here .

Have fun planning the shower ! I like doing that .. tell me about the CAKE .

Linda- have fun making the quilt ! You sure are multi-talented . Good at LOTS of things .

LeAnna- have a safe trip ,and let us know when you get settled back in .

Marisa- Good luck on getting all the golf club covers completed. Your aunt and uncle will get a nice surprise from you .

Joanne- thanks for being such a regular poster and keeping things moving in here, along with all the rest of you .

It's been nice getting to meet a lot of you ,who I hadn't known from before .The neighborhoods change in here every once in awhile, so it's always nice to meet new people, or catch up with old friends who you havent seen in awhile .

To anyone I may have missed, sorry-- I tried catching up with everyone .

Thanks for all you guy's backup . I'll be ok now, I just get really flustered when I hear news from the Dr that is something big . I try REALLY hard to be tough. TOUGH is important to me . But even tough people let their guard down sometimes I bet .

Anyhow, on with the show. I need to think about something else .

Good Morning :coffee

I woke up today the same time as a workday but at least didn't have to jump right in the shower to get ready.......just get to sit and enjoy my coffee to start :D I have an errand to run at about 7 and will then come back and worry about breakfast :)

I plan to get the second set of golf club covers started today and should actually be able to complete at least 1 of the 3 today, but I'll keep you posted on my progress :hook Later, I will also share some pics (a day late of course, lol) of my lapghan that is in progress and the little piece of knitting I began the other evening that hopefully will amount to a purse in the end :scrachin:shrug

Joanne- wtg to your middle dd for all of her accomplishments. I don't mind living here, but don't plan to settle, although I've been here for 4 1/2 years already since I am perfectly content at my job. However, ultimately I plan to end up in pittsburgh in the future where my sister lives and just bought a house. I'm very family oriented and the plan is for my parents to also head that way after my father retires at which point I won't really have anything over this way anymore :( I'm glad you enjoyed your mani/pedi with your youngest dd, they are always enjoyable and it's wonderful to spend time together!!!

Diane - congrats on your gift certificates!!! :clap:cheer:yay it's always great to win something, and even better when you completely forget you have a chance and get surprised!!! Enjoy dinner at the restaurant and extra for the market is always a welcome bonus :D If you get a chance, treat yourself to a mani/pedi as they are very enjoyable and relaxing! I typically just go for the pedicure since I work with my hands constantly and can't keep my nails nice :( I often do my own, but when I'm in need of a treat....I head to a salon :)

Cheeria - I also love to read, but like somone else mentioned (and I didn't write down who so now I forget) :( I have been seriously slacking in that department lately! The classics are always enjoyable, but boy do I remember back to school when I HAD to ready them and didn't enjoy it....they take on new meaning now later in life. Recently, recommended to me was "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and a friend picked us both one up, but I haven't began to read it yet. I keep putting it off to continue :hook but will have to set aside some strict reading time I think!!! :lol

Julie - I'm glad to see you jumping right back on that horse! Although when faced with difficult news it is perfectly acceptable to take some time for yourself to orient your thoughts and feelings. You actually need to make time for that, which you did! :hug We are all here for you anytime you want to chat, ask advice, or just rant and rave to let off some steam (that often helps) ;)

Wow, apparently I'm really chatty this morning!!! :lol It looks like it's a good thing only a few people posted since my last otherwise this would be a book in itself! :rofl I have to head out my and will be back later.

Have a wonderful saturday house mates!!!

Julie- I was happy :) to see your post- and although we all want to be TOUGH, sometimes we need to take time to ourselves, sort things out and then move forward. I agree with Marisa- if you ever need to rant, rave, or whatever, we're here for you!

Marisa- I've never been to Pittsburgh but I hear from family members that it is a nice place. My cousin's DH is from the Pittsburgh area and my cousin's niece will be graduating from PITT in May-with a BSN. She loves the Pittsburgh area too.

Speaking of errands, DH is still asleep so maybe I'll head out and do the grocery shopping now.

Happy Trails! That just came into my head because Julie is back on the horse :lol

Thanks Marisa and Joanne ,

I sometimes need to go off by myself to think things through or figure out what move to make next, IF there's anything I can do about a situation .

I have found that coming in here is good therapy ,because if you need to vent, usually someone will listen and offer help or advice . There are just some days when you need some space to THINK ,so thank you for understanding that .

I hope all the folks in here will feel comfortable enough to do that, and trust someone in the group to help them if they need it .

We all have had or do have difficult situations in our lives, so if we have this place to come for that help, it is good to know it's here for us when needed .

Now ,on to crocheting-- I have a completed afghan to show :

*The black diagonal squares are supposed to be steps . I tried adding a few doodads to Linda's design, which I shouldnt have done. It looked much better in her design, but Cam won't notice I don't think .

I have a new idea clanking around in my head .I thought it'd keep me busy if I have a new project to work on. It might take up some time that would have been spent worrying, and that isn't going to help anything, so it might be best to ask if anyone has any interest in this :

I'd like to know if any of you would be interested in making an afghan done in ROUNDS . It doesn't necessarily have to BE round, it can be a big granny square, or any type square pattern done in ROUNDS .

The title would be called The Pinwheel .

Your goal in making the afghan would be to use AS MANY COLORS as possible in your afghan ,going from one shade to the next .... for example, if you chose to start with green.... you'd start with a really light shade of green, then use a shade a little darker, etc,until you'd use as many shades as possible, then move on to your next color, doing the same thing, going from one shade to the next ....

It could also be turned into a little bit of a "group swap", in a way .

Say you are getting ready to throw in some purple,and you only have 2 shades. If you live in an area like I do, we dont have lots of yarn stores to choose from ,so we are restricted with the number of colors we could find . So you could put the word out in here that you are in need of more purples. list the shades you have,then if anyone would be willing to send you some of their color, you could add it in . You could possibly trade with them and send them a color THEY need in another shade .

The goal in the end would be to make your afghan look like a pinwheel of colors, using as MANY POSSIBLE colors as you can come up with .

This could also be made into a game -- just a friendly little competition to see who could end up using the most colors .

I have taken the liberty of looking up circular -type afghans online and here are a few.

This one has a list of LOTS of circular afghans :

http://homeofalonelywoman.blogspot.com/2008/10/10-14-2008-round-afghan-free-patterns.html

And for those of you with LOTS of YARN and LOTS of Ambition -- take a look at THESE ,would you ?

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:iJllgjT2k_UJ:www.craftster.org/forum/index.php%3Ftopic%3D335223.0+queen+sized+round+ripple&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/Jeanaries/RoundRippleBedspread.html

I'm sure there are many others as well . *You can also use the big granny done in a square or rectangle .

Anything goes in this, just so you use a pattern in rounds and use as many colors as you can possibly use .

Here's another from LionBrand that I just found :

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70629AD.html?r=1

Anyone game for a new game ?:hook

Judy I love the colors of your saltines. What quilt are you making?

It's anATW (Around the World) pattern..different version from what's on the Happy Yellow House site.

It was made up by a former member here years agao and free...

It's a word doc - if anyone would like the particulars I'll send it in a return email if you reach out to me that way.

Judy- Love your "proof" and love the colors of your saltines!!!

On my way home from work, my youngest DD called and asked me if I wanted to go with her to get a manicure/pedicure. So I came home, changed into comfy clothes and flip flops and met her at the nail salon- Oh, the massage chair felt like heaven. It was a great mother/daughter bonding time:manyheart

We are thinking of going to Rutgers Day tomorrow together. Depends on the weather. They have lots of activities planned.

Thanks...the colors aren't my usual choice, but when it's all done I'll post a pic of where it's going and you'll be able to see why I chose them.

DS went to Rutgers for his undergraduate degree...it's a very good school. I hope you get up there.

I have a baby shower to go to today, but tomorrow I hope to get to a showing put on by the Embroidery Guild. It's at a hall in Middletown, walking distance from one of my son's offices. Might be able to get there tomorrow since today is full. I love x st and embroidery.

I gotta get back up again and keep on fighting .

YOU'RE A STRONG LADY...OF COURSE YOU CAN GET BACK UP...WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM YOUR FRIENDS:)

Jude

Great work on your saltines. They are REALLY pretty .

THANKS!:hook

It's been nice getting to meet a lot of you ,who I hadn't known from before .The neighborhoods change in here every once in awhile, so it's always nice to meet new people, or catch up with old friends who you havent seen in awhile .

I'm so glad you're back here....I missed you a lot when you stopped posting....:hug:manyheart:hug

Morning Jude ~

thanks, and i'll be giving it to him today-- he'll be here after soccer this afternoon .

Good morning, hon!

Oh, goodie - let us know how he reacts!!!

I have a new idea clanking around in my head .I thought it'd keep me busy if I have a new project to work on. It might take up some time that would have been spent worrying, and that isn't going to help anything, so it might be best to ask if anyone has any interest in this :

I was going to mention that I thought you needded a new project!:devil

Let me check out your post!

Jules, you're right about that one site taking forever to load....but she has great links there!

I printed out http://cache.lionbrand.com/printablePatterns/80436AD.pdf

And....

I love the last one, the purple RR bedspread....

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/Jeanaries/RoundRippleBedspread.html

I have a huge tote bag of purples waiting to be made into one of those....

well, now that I have 2 more WIPS lined up:P....

I want to clean out a couple of my desk drawers before hook time. I figure if I dump them out I'll be more likely to finish them...

BBL!

Good morning House, Yep I'm up bright and early but before I leave for DD house I wanted to say good morning to all my housemates. I'll read all the posts when I get back so have a great day. :hug

Hi again everyone!

Grocery shopping done and put away! I even took a trip to Trader Joe's (about 1/2 hr ride) because i LOVE Joe's Dark Coffee!!! Bought 3 cans which should tied me over for a while!

Judy- Have fun at the baby shower today!! I graduated from Rutgers in 2008 (finally went back to college and finished!- it only took me about 30 years- LOL) My oldest graduated from Douglass and my youngest graduated from Rutgers College of Nursing. My middle one graduated from Kean.

Cheeria- Have fun setting up with your DD for the baby shower.

Julie- What can I say other than THAT IS ONE AWESOME GHAN!!! Cam is going to LOVE it!!!! (that and have some MINT ice cream for me)

I like the idea you have for another project! Ok, I still have to finish the ghan for stepdaughter, I started and have TONS to do on the quilt'ghan, have about 30 purple/green squares that I need to continue making and sewing together-I want to make some dishcloths with the I love this cotton, but, hey, whats one more WIP?

Not sure which I'll do- I've always wanted to do a round ripple- the first one I did came out really wonky- I kept it just for the yarn in case i ever run out, I can frog it!!! Or a large granny is so mindless. Mmm decisions to make!

BBL!

Joanne, Crochet Dad (on the ville) has a 9 point RR pattern which doesn't involve changing the amount of stitches in the points. It might be the best pattern for you to start with.

Off to the baby shower! Later, gators:hug

Good Morning :clap

Just stopping in for a minute. Addie is on my lap so please excuse mistakes.

:cheer Yay, Jules is back. Missed you. :hug Glad you took a step back and regrouped. While sometimes we hear things that we don't like, I always say, hearing/knowing is always better than not knowing. For me, it's the uncertainty that I have trouble dealing with. Now, having said that....Leave it to Jules to come up with a new idea. I LUV IT. :yay I have cartons full of left over yarns. I saw an afghan somewhere in the 'Ville that would be perfect for me to make. It looked like a six-sided granny, had a fpdc or fptc. I think it was Wanda. I must go back and look. I think I would make it lapghan size. This could be part of my charity crochet for the VA hospital. I won't be able to start it until after we get back from our trip. Swapping yarn would be like playing "go fish". Got any reds? Go fish! :devil

Off to do laundry and start packing. NASCAR will be on while I work.

Good morning, my friends. I rained all night and is continuing to rain off and on so far this morning. We needed it badly, so no complaints from me. And everything looks so fresh outside.

Joanne - What a nice treat. I love having a manicure and pedicure in the massage chair. I always feel so refreshed. I don't do it often, but always enjoy it when I do.

Diane - I'm doing a double Irish chain pattern for mom's quilt. Her birthday is May 20th, so that's the date I'm aiming for. Gives me about a month to get it done. And congrats on winning the gift certificates.

Morning, Marisa.

Julie - :hug :hug :hug We're here for you.

Congrats on completing the castle ghan. It turned out great! :cheer:clap:cheer:clap Take a picture of Cam with his new afghan, please.

Oh, my. Maybe you should call the new project a Kaleidoscope Afghan. :lol :lol :lol

Judy - Have fun at the embroidery show.

Hey guys

Thanks for all the interest in the new project.

I thought it'd be a lot of fun to see just how MANY colors you could possibly use in one afghan,and it'd take lots of thinking to figure out your color chart ,like which colors would go where .

Actually , you could even do this with any afghan, including any that are just started in the regular way , from the bottom up , or left to right .

Or, if you did a diagonal one, you could start with one set of colors ,then move onto the next .

On my store run, I picked up some more colors that I KNOW I don't have .

I'd like to have lots of interested people working on this, so it'd be more fun .

It would be fun to see so many different ideas and people's designs, the way the colors are laid out, etc .

Plus, it WOULD be like playing Go fish, looking for specific colors .

The final fun part would be to see who could use the MOST colors in one afghan. It could be a total scrap project if you have lots of yarn laying around from other projects.

I think the hexagon would be a cool design to see this in, too !

SO... for those wanting to play along, see if you can find a pattern that suits you. there are lots done in a circle or in rounds .

**** IF you need a specific color, please put it in the title of your post ,like Color needed, or something like that, so we will all pay attention to someone asking for a particular color .

I already have a couple colors I'd like to have more shades of , so I'll be posting here soon. I need to go through all my colors and lay them out to see what I am short of .

And, if you need a color, you can specify how much you'd need . It wouldnt have to be a whole skein, or even half a one, it might just be for a round or 2 .

I hope I can find some people brave enough to attempt that super-huge bed sized afghan .

I'm not sure yet which one I'll do, but am very tempted to try it .

Archived