Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

Judy ~ Yay for new yarn! It's amazing how so many white yarns don't have a "clean" look. :yarn

Tam ~ Hi! We've missed you and hate that the headache is still hanging on. :hug

Hi to everyone. :manyheart DH left town this a.m. so I don't have to watch football. :lol I'm back to working on Just Ducky, which I'd just started before the baby ghan's. :hook

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have fun in Hawaii. You know, if you keep going further west, you'll end up on my Island. :D The Island of Guam, where America's day begins. :) We say that because we're on the other side of the Int'l date line so we're a day ahead of Hawaii and the mainland. :yes And we've been having some really good sunny weather. I hope it continues to the weekend. I'm off this weekend and my boys want to go to the movies on Saturday and the beach on Sunday. Can't wait. :)

Thank you, Everyone, for the sock compliments. They are crocheted, Julie, and quite fun to do. Using the Size B hook, I figured I would be working on them for the entire year, but it was not, actually, all that bad. I have two different sock patterns tucked into my suitcase to work on in Hawaii. I cannot find acrylic or wooden hooks in Sizes B or C, so I waill not even try to bring them on the plane with me. In years past, there has not been time to crochet, anyway, as I am usually reading out-loud to the girls, coloring, or making Play Foam masterpieces, but one of these years, they may not need me as the Entertainment Committee, and I can crochet in-flight...not yet, at least. Socks will be cooler and lighter to work on than an afghan, too, which is why I chose them. My progress report may be pretty dismal when I get back, but I will just have to crochet like crazy upon my return, so you all will still let me play with you here at the 'Ville :hook I promise to do my best.

Mary ~ We leave on Tuesday, around noon.

Six inches and accumulating = snow count for this day. It's crazy out there :2snow You should see the coolest tunnel DH and I dug for the girls this am. It is big enough for them to drive their snowmobiles through:D They DID tell us that they could not "stand up and go really fast" through the tunnel, as we did not make it tall enough, but we told them to drive carefully and enjoy it, because we could not work to make it any taller :P

Girls just came in, ready for a storybook before nap. Have a good, safe Sunday! Not football fans, here, so we will just be having a regular family evening -- stroganoff, horseradish smashed potatoes, and cinnamon cream frosted brownies. We have a new deck of Skip-Bo cards, so I expect we will play a game before bathtime. Love these family days :bheart

Hope you are all safe and warm.

Good morning, everyone. It's sunny again today although it's still way too cold for this time of year. I was running around the house in 2 sweatshirts yesterday in order to stay warm. I've got another block's worth of saltines done for the dragon ghan. Another block's worth will get me almost caught up. And maybe I can get a picture put up, too.

Hi, everyone!

Linda, I'm looking forward to pics!!

Jules...I'll be online after lunch, most likely. We keep missing each other!

Morning Linda-

Sorry to hear it's so cold down there. My parents live in florida and I talked to them yesterday. They said it was real cold down there too . Highs in the 50's !

I told them if it was 50 up here, we'd have people out riding bikes, mowing their yards and walking their dogs .

Judy- yep,we seem to be on opposite schedules the last few days . Maybe i'll catch up with you later today .

Good Morning! :) We're having thunderstorms this morning...cold and windy, too.

Linda ~ Enjoy your sunshine. :yes Great progress on your dragon ghan! :clap

Dusti ~ I'll bet you and the girls are so excited about your trip! After the winter you've had so far, the beach will be wonderful.

Hi to Julie and Judy, too. :)

I have several errands, but those can wait til this rain lets up. Gracie loves playing in the rain and puddles, but then Gracie loves everything. :lol

Good morning, Mary, Judy, and Julie. The temperature has climbed above 40* for the first time in a long time. I am so ready for spring.

Yup, the dragon is coming along nicely. I've got this block almost together, but have to earn some more squares to finish the one that goes with it. Maybe today is the day when I actually start doing some exercising. :lol

Julie....i use to do it in strips to but found that i would never finish so now i start at the center and work my way out and i also find that my squares stay even.

Dusti...Your socks are very pretty...i wish i could do socks.

Thanks, Shaylen. I was not sure I could do them either, but it's quite satisfying to learn that they were not impossible :lol We'll see if the second pattern I chose is as accessible.

As for assembling my quilt-ghans, I have worked my 6 in two different ways. The majority were whipstitched in rows from the bottom-up. No idea why I cannot wrap my brain around flipping the saltine over so I am looking at the wrong side and getting them lined up properly to form the picture by starting at the top, but the bottom is easier. I really liked working on the double irish chain and assembling 5X5 blocks. That was so quick and easy for me to do as a take-along project. The Baby 9-Patch quilts went together smoothly that way, too. I have never worked from the middle-outward, and never even though of trying :lol I learn new things every day I am a member here at C'Ville :manyheart

Have fun in Hawaii. You know, if you keep going further west, you'll end up on my Island. :D The Island of Guam, where America's day begins. :) We say that because we're on the other side of the Int'l date line so we're a day ahead of Hawaii and the mainland. :yes And we've been having some really good sunny weather. I hope it continues to the weekend. I'm off this weekend and my boys want to go to the movies on Saturday and the beach on Sunday. Can't wait. :)

My fingers are crossed that your nice weather holds. When we were in Hawaii last Feb-March, it was the chilliest tropical vacation I have ever had :wbrr Seriously, I had tan-colored wrists and hands, but the rest of me was covered by my fleece sweatshirt for the majority of my vacation. We made quite a sight of sitting on the beach in fleece, while the little girls dashed in-and-out of the water for short periods of time. :hi to you, and I hope you and your family have a lovely weekend together.

Packing is done. Reservations are made for a hotel near the airport, where we will sleep tomorrow night. The school day was delayed two hours this morning, due to the winter storm that blew through here, yesterday, so I polished the girls' toenails (they think they are *so* beautiful with sparkly pink toes :yes), and we double-checked their carry-on bags. The homework assignments came home, today, and my sweetheart of an 8-yr-old is reading the 3 chapters she needs to complete in her Literature book, so that we do not have to carry that 4.5-pound monster in the suitcase. I want to bring the Social Studies and Science books with us, because there are some interesting lessons we should spend quality time studying, but these lit stories are just for reading practice/enjoyment. She is enjoying them at warp-speed :lol. I hope to have a chance to pop in here tomorrow, once the girls are off to school and the car is packed. 'Til then, have a good Monday!!

Carla, Is it too late to join this group? I chose the Technicolor Heart only I'm going to do it with Caron yarn. Black as main color then Mango, Limelight, Berry Blue, Watermelon, Grape and Lemonade as the other colors but not sure what order I will do them in yet. I have ordered the yarn and should be starting as soon as it gets here. Do you need a photo of it before I start, or just as I'm progressing on it?

Hi Sue -

I guess I'll answer ,since I'm not sure if Cara is checking in here anymore. I haven't seen her post in awhile ,but I'm sure she'd welcome you if she was here .

Anyhow, I think all the ladies working on their projects in here would gladly welcome you .They are a friendly bunch and would be glad to help or answer questions if you have any .

The heart afghan is very pretty,and your colors sound nice.

Do you have someone in mind that you are making it for, or is it for you ?

Anyhow jump right in ~ Everyone is welcome !

Good morning, ladies!

Sue - welcome!!

Dusti, have a safe and fun trip:hug We'll be here when you get back...or can check in:hook

Carla, Is it too late to join this group? I chose the Technicolor Heart only I'm going to do it with Caron yarn. Black as main color then Mango, Limelight, Berry Blue, Watermelon, Grape and Lemonade as the other colors but not sure what order I will do them in yet. I have ordered the yarn and should be starting as soon as it gets here. Do you need a photo of it before I start, or just as I'm progressing on it?

Hi, Sue! :hi Welcome to the group! :welcome The more the merrier. We're always glad to have someone new join the group. I frequently take a picture of the yarn before I start so that everyone gets a feel for the colors, but that's up to you. The Technicolor Heart is a great pattern.

We love pictures and I try to put one up each week, although the weather has been so overcast that I missed last week. It's supposed to be sunny Wednesday and Thursday so hopefully I can get one done then. It's raining today. Yuck! :yuck

Good Morning, Ladies. :)

Hi Sue! The pattern you've chosen will be so pretty in those colors. :yarn We're glad you're here!

Dusti ~ If you check in before you leave - Have a wonderful trip! :manyheart

Nicole ~ Stay safe. :yes Our winter has been much colder than normal and we're supposed to have snow on Thursday. :eek

Hi Judy, Julie and Linda. :waving

For those of you participating in the Games...I'll be cheering for you! :cheer

I'm waiting to hear from DD and we may have lunch together. One year ago this week, she lost her job with a major company when they downsized. She has been working 25-30 hours a week since then with another major company and they are downsizing...the same week one year later! :( It looks like she'll have a longer maternity leave than planned. I know they'll be fine, but mama bears can't help but worry. Thanks for letting me ramble on. :manyheart

:welcome Please, just jump in whenever you have a chance. Many of us have quilt 'ghans in-progress or "in mind," but we may not actively be working on them right this minute. That's alright. We are a friendly group and always happy to offer support. Yes, pictures at any point are great :yes You have picked a very pretty pattern, and your colors sound gorgeous. I cannot wait to see it, as you start to put the squares together.

Dusti

Thanks for your help with the way you do joining of squares. I like to ask lots of opinions, to see which way you all use ,and which way you prefer that looks nicest.

You guys have a wonderful vacation !

Thanks so much. We'll be in the air tomorrow at this time :plane I can almost *smell* the sunscreen and ocean from here :lol

Good

Dusti, have a safe and fun trip:hug We'll be here when you get back...or can check in:hook

Thank you, Judy! I am feeling very tempted to check out one of the Internet cafes I pass in my travels. They rather intimidate me, but if I have my girls with me, the three of us can giggle and muddle through the opening directions, I am sure. If I get up the nerve, you will hear from me :mail, I promise.

Dusti ~ If you check in before you leave - Have a wonderful trip! :manyheart

I'm waiting to hear from DD and we may have lunch together. One year ago this week, she lost her job with a major company when they downsized. She has been working 25-30 hours a week since then with another major company and they are downsizing...the same week one year later! :( It looks like she'll have a longer maternity leave than planned. I know they'll be fine, but mama bears can't help but worry. Thanks for letting me ramble on. :manyheart

We sure will, Mary. The girls are so excited. They were up early this morning, just to help me pack the car before school, and I doubt any of us will sleep much tonight. The trip is long, but, at least we get to stay long enough to make it worthwhile.

So sorry to hear about DD's job situation. Ironic that the bad news is coming down exactly the same week that it did last year, but I hope she does not stress over it too much to make herself feel poorly. You are a good Momma Bear :manyheart The two of you will have so much more time to prepare for the new babe, if DD is home during the daytime ;)

Nicole ~ Stay safe in all of that snow! It has been a crazy winter, everywhere.

:ghug to you all. :cheerGood luck to those of you crocheting in the Games :cheer See you in a few weeks :waving

Aloha :sun

Hello to all who jumped in since I was here last -- had to make a store run since the snow is pouring again today. Y E K ....

Anyhow, Mary- sorry to hear your girl is having job problems. Does she know for sure yet that she will be one of the ones they let go, or they haven't said yet ?

I know it's scarey times right now. Sam's company had huge layoffs last week. A lot of the people they let go were people in his age bracket. I think they are weeding out the older ones since they get more vacation, pay,and things like that,so if the company heaves them out the door, they can save money .

So far,he hasn't gotten it, but it could happen. I told him not to worry, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it if we have to .

He's worked there since 1976 -- long time !!!

Anyhow, maybe if your girl wanted time off to spend with the new babe, this will happen at a good time for that at least .

If you're going to Honolulu, you could go to the Int'l Market Place. They have some computers set up there that you could pay for time to go on. You could give us a shout and let us know how you're doing. And it does get cold in Hawaii believe it or not. It's cooler there than it is here on Guam. Thats cause we're closer to the equater than Hawaii is. My family had a mini reunion there before my brother passed away and I wasn't hot :hot at all during the day. At night was a different story. I was cold :wbrr outside. :lol

Anyway, I hope you and your family have a nice time there.

:welcome Please, just jump in whenever you have a chance. Many of us have quilt 'ghans in-progress or "in mind," but we may not actively be working on them right this minute. That's alright. We are a friendly group and always happy to offer support. Yes, pictures at any point are great :yes You have picked a very pretty pattern, and your colors sound gorgeous. I cannot wait to see it, as you start to put the squares together.

Thanks so much. We'll be in the air tomorrow at this time :plane I can almost *smell* the sunscreen and ocean from here :lol

Thank you, Judy! I am feeling very tempted to check out one of the Internet cafes I pass in my travels. They rather intimidate me, but if I have my girls with me, the three of us can giggle and muddle through the opening directions, I am sure. If I get up the nerve, you will hear from me :mail, I promise.

We sure will, Mary. The girls are so excited. They were up early this morning, just to help me pack the car before school, and I doubt any of us will sleep much tonight. The trip is long, but, at least we get to stay long enough to make it worthwhile.

So sorry to hear about DD's job situation. Ironic that the bad news is coming down exactly the same week that it did last year, but I hope she does not stress over it too much to make herself feel poorly. You are a good Momma Bear :manyheart The two of you will have so much more time to prepare for the new babe, if DD is home during the daytime ;)

Nicole ~ Stay safe in all of that snow! It has been a crazy winter, everywhere.

:ghug to you all. :cheerGood luck to those of you crocheting in the Games :cheer See you in a few weeks :waving

Aloha :sun

Thanks for all the hugs, everyone. :manyheart DD has always worked really hard and loves challenges...she'll be fine. :yes She doesn't know how to relax though, so she may drive me nuts with phone calls. :lol;)

Julie ~ Hopefully, they'll realize they need some experienced people and Sam will be staying. Everything has changed so much, hasn't it? :think How is Mr. Cam doing? Is he still talking your ear off? :D

'Hope everyone is having a good day. I need to find my hook and yarn this evening. :)

Dusti...Stay safe and have fun...bring us back some sun please :lol

Mary...Sorry DD is having a hard time...scary times for alot of people right now...we almost lost everything a few months back before work picked up again :hug

Found a new pattern that done in saltines...its really neat looking Tiles Granny Afghan...I think after the games i will give it a try.

Stay warm and safe everyone the weather out there is bad right now....my DS got 4 feet the other day and hes getting dumped on again...he was afraid is roof wouldn't hold up to the weight...he lives in a trailer.

Mary

Yea, if you get used to working, then it is hard to stay home . I remember back when I quit work, I had a really hard time adjusting for a long while after that .

I hope she doesn't lose her job, though, especially if she likes it and wants to keep working .

Cam is great,and yep, he talks a blue streak .I honestly think he could skip auctionierre school and go right into business . His mom always wonders how me and him COMMUNICATE, because neither of us STOP talking,we just keep talking AND listening at the same time .

Drives Sam LOONEY sometimes. I just think it's funny . Gotta love a kid who has an opinion about EVERYTHING .

Archived