Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

Morning HH ladies !

Hope you are all warm and dry this morning. We are still getting snow,so it's not done yet . We have probably 6 or 8 inches right now . Havent been out in it yet, and I probably wont go far . There were so many wrecks last night ! Wow, must've been some scarey driving !

Where are all the bunnies and flowers and birds tweeting ?

Sure aint Ohio !

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you, Judy. I think God brought us all together, because it's been a good fit for all of us. :manyheart

I've seen God do that a lot...with me and hubby...my long-time friends...:yes

Stay warm and cozy...we have snow blowing sideways and probably have about 8 inches already, though with the drifts it's hard to tell.:P

Good morning, everyone. No snow here for which I am very grateful. But it's way too cold for this time of year here. :grumpy It's only about 36* and overcast and windy. :grump Usually by now the daffodils are up and the early ones are blooming. Not this year! I don't think they've even poked any leaves up yet. Grump, grump. :yell I'm soooo ready for spring.

I'm going to make waffles for Kim shortly. I really don't want to get out in this, but I have a few errands to run so I may have to. Maybe tomorrow will be nicer and I can do them then. :yes

Linda-

Wow, I'd trade you weather. The 36 doesn't sound too great, but it beats shoveling 10 inches of snow ...

Each year I get tired of winter a little bit earlier . We havent had a bad one up til now .

Anyhow, it is bright sunshine out now -- kinda weird after the big snow, then bright blue skies and sun today . At least it looks good ,although it's cold !

Living in Minnesota and Iowa for most of my life, I've shoveled enough snow to last me a lifetime. You can keep it, Julie. Fresh snow is lovely, but no fun to shovel or drive in. Thanks, but no thanks. :lol :lol

Stay safe, everyone receiving mountains of snow this weekend.:snow We shovel and shovel, and when DH is home, the tractor comes out and clears me a runway from the garage to the road :lol I'm not a great fan of the white stuff, but it sure has kept my girls busy for hours, today. They started out on snowshoes, switched to ice skates, drove the snowmobiles, and then hollowed out an enclosed tunnel slide in one of the piles DH made while clearing the driveway. :flake can be pretty and serve a purpose (child amusement), as long as I do not HAVE to go anywhere and drive in it :flake

Yaaay, Linda,for working on saltines :clap You must be working on your dragon 'ghan this weekend? How's Kim sounding and feeling, today? Did John get home alright from his meetings out-of-town? Are you managing on a more regular schedule, yet?

'Fraid there are no flowers or birdies here, yet, Julie :( The daffodils Linda mentioned sound nice...It'll be months yet, before we see greenery peeking up next to the house, let alone in the yard.

Ta-da! Here are my socks. I am afraid to wash them, yet, as they are already a mite snug, but I will be really careful with their care, tomorrow. They fit, today, though :D

Have a great Saturday!

post-20536-135897502423_thumb.jpg

post-20536-13589750244_thumb.jpg

Hi Ladies! I've stayed off the computer for almost two days...our taxes are finished and MIL's paperwork is ready to go to her CPA. I don't do hers anymore because of a couple comments made by someone in his family. Gee, I guess they thought I could fool the IRS and embezzle money or something. :rolleyes:lol

Dusti ~ Your socks are very cute! :cheer I remember making snow tunnels and we played in them for hours...now it doesn't sound like as much fun. ;) What day will you leave on your trip?

Linda ~ Way to go on the squares. :clap I've added 48 solids to the list. :D

Hi to Julie, Judy and Tam, too. :manyheart

The pictures on the news of the snow are incredible! I hope everyone is safe and warm. My sister lives in the D.C. area and said her driveway is almost waist high in places. Brrr!

Hi, Dusti. Yes we are on an almost normal schedule now. If Kim and I can just get rid of this bronchitis we'll be doing good. People who've had it say it's been taking up to 2 months to get rid of the cough. :sick We're supposed to go to a Caylor reunion this coming weekend, but we'll see how Kim is doing later in the week and make the final decision then.

Yes, I'm working on the dragon ghan this weekend. I've earned enough squares to make 2 more blocks after the one I'm about to put together now. One block will be sky and the other will be mostly dragon wing. Whee!!

Dusti, your socks look wonderful. :yay:yay:yay The only socks I've ever made were Christmas stockings. Nice and big!

I'm going to be doing a flannel ghan for the Crochet Games of Ancient Greece. And I'm going to be using all stash yarn for it. I'm also making it about 50% bigger than the original version. I want to be able to snuggle in it without having any of me uncovered. :devil I'm using TLC yarn in red plum (looks burgundy to me), dark thyme (a dark olive green), and a fall variegated color. I'm glad I did a test swatch, because I need to use a bigger hook to get the guage right. I'm really looking forward to the Olympics. I love all the skiing and skating contests.

Dusti - yea,the snow is a great thing for kids--they have fun in it at least, but it seems that kids around heree anymore never play outside. they must all stay in and play video games. I know when we were kids, we were outside every day, year round .

CUTE SOCKS !!! Are they crochet or knit ? I've never made socks before .

Linda- you have sure lived in some totally different states . Which one have you liked the best ?

I've been in the same town since birth .

Hey Mary- I was wondering where you were today. It's unusual if you're not here. you have been in the HH area for a LONG time !! Wouldn't be the same without you .

Howdy Judy--

Are you snowed under over your way ?

QUESTIONS :

I thought I'd ask you guys that have done so many of these afghans ,since you are well experienced at all the ins and outs .

First- can you tell me again how many squares you get out of one skein of RH yarn ?

Next -how have you found is the easiest way to put these together ? I do think you guys both whipstitch them (?),but I mean regarding assembling them -- do you do one big long strip ( like the whole way across the top,then work your way down ),or start in the center and work out ,or what ?

I have an idea for one of these down the road apiece, but I have to finish my Jackson afghan CAL,then the FG games --- then I think my slate will be clean to start another crochet project .

I will be working on my knit afghan til the cows come home, but I seem to be able to juggle it and one crochet project,maybe because they are so different and I know the knitting one will take me a long time, so I don't feel pressured to hurry up with it .

Anyhow, thanks for the info ahead of time .

Hi, Mary! Good thing you were able to send out those taxes...they don't appreciate you.

My current mantra is "No good deed goes unpunished".

Anyway - good to see you back here!

Howdy Judy--

Are you snowed under over your way ?

We only got 10 inches...south of us (in NJ) they got about 2 feet. We were lucky. The pups love it!!

QUESTIONS :

I thought I'd ask you guys that have done so many of these afghans ,since you are well experienced at all the ins and outs .

First- can you tell me again how many squares you get out of one skein of RH yarn ? If I remember correctly, Cara said somewhere between 41 and 44.

Next -how have you found is the easiest way to put these together ? I do think you guys both whipstitch them (?),but I mean regarding assembling them -- do you do one big long strip ( like the whole way across the top,then work your way down ),or start in the center and work out ,or what ?

Whipstitch, you're right on that. I've done it 3 ways: strips, by design motifs, and from the center out. I don't like doing it in strips...from the center out was confusing for me...so my next one will be done in design motifs. Once I have 2 squares done I'l attach them together as blocks,

Make sense??

I have an idea for one of these down the road apiece, but I have to finish my Jackson afghan CAL,then the FG games --- then I think my slate will be clean to start another crochet project .

I will be working on my knit afghan til the cows come home, but I seem to be able to juggle it and one crochet project,maybe because they are so different and I know the knitting one will take me a long time, so I don't feel pressured to hurry up with it .I'm not pressing about the knitting, either. It's long term and a nice switch from crochet.

Hi, Dusti. Yes we are on an almost normal schedule now. If Kim and I can just get rid of this bronchitis we'll be doing good. People who've had it say it's been taking up to 2 months to get rid of the cough. :sick We're supposed to go to a Caylor reunion this coming weekend, but we'll see how Kim is doing later in the week and make the final decision then.

Yes, I'm working on the dragon ghan this weekend. I've earned enough squares to make 2 more blocks after the one I'm about to put together now. One block will be sky and the other will be mostly dragon wing. Whee!!

I'm going to be doing a flannel ghan for the Crochet Games of Ancient Greece. And I'm going to be using all stash yarn for it. I'm also making it about 50% bigger than the original version. I want to be able to snuggle in it without having any of me uncovered. :devil I'm using TLC yarn in red plum (looks burgundy to me), dark thyme (a dark olive green), and a fall variegated color. I'm glad I did a test swatch, because I need to use a bigger hook to get the guage right. I'm really looking forward to the Olympics. I love all the skiing and skating contests.

Oh, I hope you both get over this soon. :hug My favorite neighbor has had the same thing and it's taking forever to get over. Great progress on the Dragon! :yay I'm going to be a cheerleader for the Games...and the Flannelghan is such a wonderful pattern. :cheer

QUESTIONS :

First- can you tell me again how many squares you get out of one skein of RH yarn ?

I will be working on my knit afghan til the cows come home, but I seem to be able to juggle it and one crochet project,maybe because they are so different and I know the knitting one will take me a long time, so I don't feel pressured to hurry up with it .

Hi Julie! Depending on the yarn, I've gotten anywhere from 40 to 50 squares per skein. As far as joining, I'm all over the map...14 projects with little squares and each one has been joined differently. :lol For the Cuddle ghans, I usually join in strips. Others, I've joined in blocks of 5x5 or 7x7, etc. I hope you'll consider another quilt ghan! :crocheting

Hi, Mary! Good thing you were able to send out those taxes...they don't appreciate you.

My current mantra is "No good deed goes unpunished".

Anyway - good to see you back here!

We only got 10 inches...south of us (in NJ) they got about 2 feet. We were lucky. The pups love it!!

10 inches is plenty! :lol Stay warm! And, when it comes to certain family members, my good deeds have become more infrequent. ;)

DH leaves tomorrow for the week-hopefully there will be more time for crocheting. Have a good night, everyone. :manyheart

Morning all

I hope you are all doing well today . Any football fans in here ,and if so, are you excited about the Super- bowl tonite ?

We used to watch football a lot, but not as much anymore. We rarely turn the tv on , but I watch lots of shows online .

Maybe some of my favorite shows will start up again soon and I'll watch it then .

Pretty quiet day planned here .Cam will be here most of the day,so hard to tell what he will want to do. Lately he's into a movie kick,so that's his main interest, but he'll tire of that soon and think of something new he wants to do .

I do plan to come back in here to work on a project,but trying to pace myself at a rate so I complete things better . I can't have lots of things going at once .

I'm a good ways done with my Cal afghan, then want to complete my FG games ghan ,then I believe I'll drift back in here .

Jude-thanks for the info . I totally forgot how many squares you get from a skein,and was curious about the joining methods you guys use .

I figured that this area would be experts at advice on joining. I have joined squares in different ways, but sewing them together probably looks nicest , I just thought maybe it'd be better for me to try a new technique regarding how I put them together. The long strips was what I usually did, but they seem to get off-center or something lf you do a lot of them in a row. Hard to explain .

So Jude-are you currently making another one in here ?

Looks like we may have to keep our NEXT project up our sleeves yet if we both get signed up in here too .

That's ok, we have plenty of time .

Anyhow, hope you all have a good day today .:)

Hi everyone!

Jules...the saltine ghan I have the yarn for is going to be a WIM till I finish the firetruck graph ghan.

Have fun with Cam!

Mary - I hope Gracie lets you get in some hook time!

Good Morning, Ladies. :)

Julie, it sounds like you're being really good about not having too many WIPs. :yes It's hard for me to have more than one thing going...but not as hard as it used to be. :lol The 'Ville has been such a bad influence - just kidding! :D

Oh Judy ~ Another graph ghan! Can't wait to see what it looks like. :hook I hope you're not snowed in.

Today is laundry and some cleaning. We may have two or three people staying here on the 20th and it will take me til then to get it all done. :lol DD's friends are having a baby shower and several of them are from out of town. :c9

Have a great morning. :manyheart

Linda- you have sure lived in some totally different states . Which one have you liked the best ?

I've been in the same town since birth .

I grew up in Iowa and spent most of my adult life in Minnesota. The main difference between the two seemed to be that a wet snow in Minnesota would be rain &/or ice in Iowa. And Minnesota was maybe 10* colder in the winter on average. Summers were about the same. Hot! I didn't mind living up north until I had a total knee replacement. Now I much prefer it down here in Georgia. Minimal snow and ice to deal with and warmer winters are nice. I can handle the heat a lot better than the cold now that I'm older. :D

QUESTIONS :

I crochet mine with an H hook and get about 10 squares per 1 ounce of RHSS. I always whip stitch mine together and I do the front loops up one side and then the back loops down the other side with tails being snuck in between those two rows. I put mine together in 4 by 4, 5 by 5, or 6 by 6 blocks. Any bigger than this and it aggravates my shoulder. I work the blocks either in rows from the top down or from the side across depending on what seems to work out the best.

We have sunshine today! Yeah! And I think that it's a little warmer. Not much, but a little.

I gained this week, so won't get to add that many squares once I'm caught up with last week's. Shows what happens when I eat a lot more calories and salt than I should. :angry

Hi, everyone!

Mary - we just came back from Michaels - I needed some bright red for the fire engine ghan. And some White that actually is white:angry

Ended up with 4 sk of caron pounders: 2 Scarlet and 2 white:hook

Thank you, Everyone, for the sock compliments. They are crocheted, Julie, and quite fun to do. Using the Size B hook, I figured I would be working on them for the entire year, but it was not, actually, all that bad. I have two different sock patterns tucked into my suitcase to work on in Hawaii. I cannot find acrylic or wooden hooks in Sizes B or C, so I waill not even try to bring them on the plane with me. In years past, there has not been time to crochet, anyway, as I am usually reading out-loud to the girls, coloring, or making Play Foam masterpieces, but one of these years, they may not need me as the Entertainment Committee, and I can crochet in-flight...not yet, at least. Socks will be cooler and lighter to work on than an afghan, too, which is why I chose them. My progress report may be pretty dismal when I get back, but I will just have to crochet like crazy upon my return, so you all will still let me play with you here at the 'Ville :hook I promise to do my best.

Mary ~ We leave on Tuesday, around noon.

Six inches and accumulating = snow count for this day. It's crazy out there :2snow You should see the coolest tunnel DH and I dug for the girls this am. It is big enough for them to drive their snowmobiles through:D They DID tell us that they could not "stand up and go really fast" through the tunnel, as we did not make it tall enough, but we told them to drive carefully and enjoy it, because we could not work to make it any taller :P

Girls just came in, ready for a storybook before nap. Have a good, safe Sunday! Not football fans, here, so we will just be having a regular family evening -- stroganoff, horseradish smashed potatoes, and cinnamon cream frosted brownies. We have a new deck of Skip-Bo cards, so I expect we will play a game before bathtime. Love these family days :bheart

Hope you are all safe and warm.

Morning all

I hope you are all doing well today . Any football fans in here ,and if so, are you excited about the Super- bowl tonite ?

We used to watch football a lot, but not as much anymore. We rarely turn the tv on , but I watch lots of shows online .

Maybe some of my favorite shows will start up again soon and I'll watch it then .

Pretty quiet day planned here .Cam will be here most of the day,so hard to tell what he will want to do. Lately he's into a movie kick,so that's his main interest, but he'll tire of that soon and think of something new he wants to do .

I do plan to come back in here to work on a project,but trying to pace myself at a rate so I complete things better . I can't have lots of things going at once .

I'm a good ways done with my Cal afghan, then want to complete my FG games ghan ,then I believe I'll drift back in here .

Jude-thanks for the info . I totally forgot how many squares you get from a skein,and was curious about the joining methods you guys use .

I figured that this area would be experts at advice on joining. I have joined squares in different ways, but sewing them together probably looks nicest , I just thought maybe it'd be better for me to try a new technique regarding how I put them together. The long strips was what I usually did, but they seem to get off-center or something lf you do a lot of them in a row. Hard to explain .

So Jude-are you currently making another one in here ?

Looks like we may have to keep our NEXT project up our sleeves yet if we both get signed up in here too .

That's ok, we have plenty of time .

Anyhow, hope you all have a good day today .:)

Julie....i use to do it in strips to but found that i would never finish so now i start at the center and work my way out and i also find that my squares stay even.

Dusti...Your socks are very pretty...i wish i could do socks.

Dusti, have a wonderful family day today and a wonderful time in Hawaii. Your socks are so neat! Have fun while gone and we'll let you play with us here even if you don't do any crocheting while gone.:lol

Evening all……….

Wow… have I been busy!

I’m going out this week to get a skein of yarn to finish my saltines.. then I can start putting them together…….. I want to get this quilt’ghan done!

I apologize for being so darn scarce lately. I just cant shake this darn headache! L

Well……… I’m Superbowl CALin’ it tonight… so back to work!

Catch up with you all later!

:heart

:mug

Archived