Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

I know I haven't been around in a LONG time. I'm still working on my Blue Star, slowly but surely. I have my 16, 9 patches done. I'm starting to work on the wedges I started joining one but whatever I did was wrong. I will try again tomorrow any advice for me though?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Danielle. The only suggestions I have about that section is take your time. Read the instructions over and over again. Make sure you follow them to a T and count. Also, don't do this section when tired or have other things pulling at you. I needed all of the attention I could muster for this section. I am very happy with how mine turned out though.

Ok - here's my "blue star" as of today. I'm through round 4 of the first border. I think it's going good so far. I'm a little afraid of the wedge part - it seems like that's when it gets really tricky - but I still have a ways to go til I get there.

459853529_2c2bd634fd_m.jpg

Barbara that looks amazing. The blocks as just one whole granny looks great, I really like it. Well done.:clap:cheer

Danielle the wedges are quite annoying to do. Where were you getting stuck.

Maybe show us a pic and we can try and help you a bit more.

I have succumbed and have started the star. I know I was going to wait till I had done all the blocks but I just couldnt wait any longer. Im so impatient.

Im on row 9 of the star. As soon as Im upto where Barbara is I will post a picture.

Barbara, I adore the colors in your ghan!!! ANd the single grannies - well, you have made sooooo many people's lives easier!! I won't be getting back to mine for at least a month or more, but...THANK YOU!!!:hug :hug

Ok, now I'm feeling some pressure. I'm still on the light plum border, so I guess I better get cracking. When that's done I have to get back to making grannies (so far I only did the ones that get attached to the center star) so things are getting ready to slow way down.

I did make all the blocks first. Or else my ghan had been a UFO :blush

I really love to see all the different colors you all choose for this ghan.

How big are yours ghan?

Shall it be so big as mine? Mine was 152*152 cm.

Grete,

Yes, it is supposed to be that big... 60"x60" (152cmx152cm). More to keep me warm! :D

I thougt it was an ghan for babies. :blush

But........my oldest son ( 11 yo ) has adopted this ghan.

He did really love it. :yay

:thair OK. I'm having a crochet crisis!!! I've brought it on myself - I'm at the point where you join the blocks and wedges. I can't get my regular grannies to work. First I tried the 6 round grannies and they didn't quite match up so I tried 7 round grannies. I could connect them to the wedges just fine - so I'm happy, but when I join the block/wedge/block unit to the rest of the afghan I can see that the angles are messed up and it will never lie right when they're all on there.

I'm sure there's a way to make the grannies work on this part, but I don't think I have it in me to keep going in trial and error mode. I love this afghan so much, I don't want to force the pieces together and have it look terrible when it's done.

I don't want to go back to 9-patches at this point because I think it might look weird having regular grannies around the center star and 9-patches on the "outer ring" of blocks. Plus - I really hate making the 9-patches. I guess I need to take a break and come back to it later. Sorry for the rant - and sorry to those of you who were excited about using the regular grannies. I'll let you know where I go from here. I hope this doesn't get me kicked out of the CAL :blush

You won't get kicked off! You are our guide thru all of this square business! It is all trial and error and you will figure it out with out a doubt. Walk away for a bit and then it will be clearer. :cheer

:thair OK. I'm having a crochet crisis!!! I've brought it on myself - I'm at the point where you join the blocks and wedges. I can't get my regular grannies to work. First I tried the 6 round grannies and they didn't quite match up so I tried 7 round grannies. I could connect them to the wedges just fine - so I'm happy, but when I join the block/wedge/block unit to the rest of the afghan I can see that the angles are messed up and it will never lie right when they're all on there.

I'm sure there's a way to make the grannies work on this part, but I don't think I have it in me to keep going in trial and error mode. I love this afghan so much, I don't want to force the pieces together and have it look terrible when it's done.

I don't want to go back to 9-patches at this point because I think it might look weird having regular grannies around the center star and 9-patches on the "outer ring" of blocks. Plus - I really hate making the 9-patches. I guess I need to take a break and come back to it later. Sorry for the rant - and sorry to those of you who were excited about using the regular grannies. I'll let you know where I go from here. I hope this doesn't get me kicked out of the CAL :blush

Oh, no. Sorry to hear that this is making trouble for you. :hug :hug

Maybe some else can try to do it too. And try to help you to figure it out how to do it. :yes

Yes, it is a good idea to take a break. So it will be better to approach the challenge with a clear head. Please don't give up on it. We are here for you!

I will try the Blue Star afghan in thread when I have extra money. I am sure I will face some challenges along the journey.

It will be a learning experience. it's always wonderful when someone dare to go in a different direction with their creativity and imagination on a same afghan pattern!

OK - I'm back and I've composed myself. Thank you guys for all the encouragement. I'll attack this section of the afghan again tomorrow armed with some new ideas. I appreciate the support!

Archived