Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

Barbara, that's really great of you to find how big a regular granny would work. I know I'd be much more inclined to do another blue star with a regular granny if I needed an afghan that large! :)

Grete, for most of the rows on the corner border, I used the instructions, except I switched it to skip 3, slip stitch 3 for most of the ends to make it fit on mine after row one. It took some counting to get it right. I think I did less between the last color change.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all your help.

But shall it always be 7 clusters at each end?

Or shall I make a new cluster in the last ch1 before i use the sl st?

I`m really confused now, normally I can figure out when it is something wrong in a pattern, but not this time.

Maybe my english for crochet is not good enough. :blush

Well, maybe I can start on a new Granny Ripple until I can figure out

what to do. :)

If I one day will start on an another Blue Starghan, I think I will use

granny squares too on mine. That was a smart idea for us who dont like

to put toghether many small squares.

OK - I've pretty much decided to go with the regular grannies instead of the 9-patches called for in the pattern. Now I just have to decide which order to use the colors. Not sure if I prefer the contrast of the green edged square against the dark plum on the center star or if the one with the variegated on the outside is better because it blends into the center star more. I'm open to comments...

456766916_a2f5f18af0_m.jpg

456629485_72cc6cfe24_m.jpg

456629491_73de138055_m.jpg

OK so here are the pics I promised of my 2 different types of grannies for the blue star afghan. I'm thinking of making one more test square - another regular granny with the same 3 colors, but switching the green and variegated.

Barbara, I think you have an idea there...:hook:yay I already attached one nine-patch, but when I get back to working on the ghan I may take it off and do this!

PS>>>I like the variegated on the outside of the granny in your latest picture - seems to "flow" better - IMO...

Lady of Roses: What does "YIB" mean? Sorry if that's a dumb question - but I noticed it in your signature and the Art of Tangle Snowflake Afghan is one I'm seriously considering trying after I finish my Blue Star. Have you already done it, planning to start, or somewhere in the middle?

Barbara, it's not a dumb question at all. It's not a regular term here. For me it stands for "Yarn in Bag" Some people call them Projects in Mind, or what-have you. I had run out of space for characters in my signature, so I had to shorten it to my acronym.

I haven't started the Art of Tangle Snowflake afghan other than a sample motif I made a while back to see if I could do it. (I frogged the motif, sorry). It's really a lot easier to make than it looks. There's even a CAL here for it! :hook

Lady: Thanks for the explanation. I've been so tempted to do the snowflake afghan, but I know this blue star will be a major undertaking, plus I'm doing the round ripple CAL and making the spiderman afghan, plus one other afghan I'm making for my sister so maybe I'll just make one motif sometime to see what it's like until I get some other stuff done.

Wendy: Thanks. I must say I'm pretty pleased with the colors so far too. I just hope I can get it to turn out right. This is the most involved afghan pattern I've done so far.

Barbara, one of the good things about many motif afghans is that they often are highly portable. ;) On the down side, you have to assemble at the end. Hehehe. :hook After making the initial motif to see how it works, I believe that lots of Villers made the inside part and later went back and did the border so they only had to carry one color at a time.

Thanks guys, I have indeed decided on the granny with the variegated yarn on the outside. I have 5 made so far. Hopefully I can get the rest made and joined to the center today.

Greta, your colors are beautiful together!!:cheer:clap:yay And although you pointed one out, I STILL don't see your mistake... I know when I make something I can always find fault with it - but others don't see it!

I have put two of the blocks on the second rows in wrong places. :(

But thanks for your nice comments. :hug

People might think that was just an "artistic" change you made!

Barbara. I am sorry that I did not see these till now. I love the grannies that you did!! how many rows? 7? I like them both. The 9 patches were diferent around the star, why couldn't you do them like you have them in this picture? I may be to late. Sorry.

OK - I've pretty much decided to go with the regular grannies instead of the 9-patches called for in the pattern. Now I just have to decide which order to use the colors. Not sure if I prefer the contrast of the green edged square against the dark plum on the center star or if the one with the variegated on the outside is better because it blends into the center star more. I'm open to comments...

456766916_a2f5f18af0_m.jpg

Grete: Wow your afghan is beautiful - the colors are very striking - great job!

Diane: I made my grannies 6 rounds with a ch 1 between each 3dc group and ch2 in the corners. In the edging round you just do 1 sc in ea dc, 1 sc in ea ch 1 and 3 sc in the corner - that works out to exactly 51 sc - just like the edging round in the pattern - so you don't need to adjust anything when you join the grannies to the center star.

I've already made the 8 squares that get attached to the center star and I made them all the same - with the variegated on the outside, but I will play around with the colors on the squares that go around the outside.

Archived