Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

Thanks for the advice Judy and Tracy! :hug

I am still on vacation in san francisco. When I go back home, I will look around and get some ideas.

I might try one 9 patch square in thread as a gauge swatch. I hope to have a spring/summer project. So I am not in any hurry.

I have 20/20 sight with glasses on, and my hands so strong from all the signing usage I do for about 30 years as a deaf person :hook:wink:P

Seriously, I don't have any serious conditions as arthisis or carnal tunnel syndrome (sp?). I do take many breaks from crochetting out of habit.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Diane....sounds like you could make the thread ghan if you want! Go for it!:yay

I love the way everyone here stretches their skills and experiments...I've been inspired to work on a design of my own, too, though in a wearable:)

ok start the granny square. When you do the second round you attach to the centre square by slipstitching as you do the second row. Do the centre, then attach each side then attach each corner.

As you can see in my photo. I have attached the green sides to the centre then attached the varigated corners to the sides and the centre by slipstitching.

I hope I have helped, Im not very good at explaining things.Here is a photo of mine.

P1020142.jpg

Hi all, just checking in. I'm in a holding pattern right now while I wait for the rest of my yarn to arrive - hopefully by the end of this week. I'm anxious to continue with this pattern.

Dogswife: You've probably figured out how to do the 9-patches by now, and if not, I'm sure you will. The only thing I do differently from how Wendy described it is I use single crochets instead of slip stitches. Anyway, once I get the rest of my yarn, I plan to experiment with both 9-patches and 3-color "regular" granny squares and just see which I like best. Being indecisive about these things, I'll most likely end up posting pics of both and asking for opinions.

Thanks, Aussie, I will give that a try and see if it will work for me.

Bgnagy, I haven't had time to try too much with Easter dinner at my house so I think I will sit down tonight and try to figure it out.

Whew! All done!!! :jumpyay

BlueStarComplete.jpg

BlueStarCompleteCorner.jpg

BlueStarCompleteHalfGranny.jpg

Not the best pictures, but it was starting to get a bit dark. I did 2 rounds of each color after the afghan would've been 'complete.' Then I did reverse single crochet all the way around with the variegated. Other than that, I think the only other change I did was when I made the wedge units, instead of using pairs of the same color on each unit, I used one of each granny block on each side for symmetry.

Hopefully my corner and half granny shots are close enough up that the changes I made as far as how many dcs I used per border round will show up.

Thanks ladies! It really does feel great to have finished this! It's the most complex afghan I've done to date. Plus I learned so much doing it!

1. I don't like doing 9-patches, so patchwork afghans probably aren't for me. :(
  2. I hate spending more time weaving ends than actually crocheting! :D
  3. It takes a long time for me to figure out how to do a row/round if the instructions are wrong!! :think
  4. There's not a lot of places a person can use such a big square afghan, but it looks nice on top of a bed! :lol

Ok - I got the rest of my yarn today-woohoo!-so I made up one 9-patch according to the pattern and one "regular" granny square using the same 3 colors. (By the way, it turns out that if you do 6 rounds you end up with the perfect number of stitches in your edging round so there is no need to modify how the square gets joined to the center star). I took pictures, but they came out terrible so I'll try again in the morning when I have better light. I like the looks of both kinds of squares, but I definitely prefer making the regular granny - I think I'd go out of my mind making all those 9-patches - and my regular granny seems to lay much better once joined to the center star. Anyway, I should be able to get some pics up tomorrow.

bgnagy, you have made my day!! I haven't been able to get to work on mine since Easter and have been dreading the 9 patch. I will make the regular grannies and that will make me so happy!! Can't wait to see your pics of both. :yay

Hi.

I have`nt join this CAL, but I have started on my BlueStarghan for a while.

But..........I cant find out how to do the Corner Border right.

I have looked at Lady of Roses ghan an mine Corner Border dosnt fit, as

her does.

Is it someone in here who has a good way to tell a "stupid" person how to do it?

Sure I do hope that I`m not lookin so stupid as I fell. :blush :blush

When I have made 10 rows, I`m not on the top of the Star.

Please anyone?

Hi Grete,

Don't feel stupid. There are a lot of corrections in the border with this pattern. You can find most of them in the first page , But I will try to help you here. I am assuming that you have gotten most of the ghan done and are at the point to join the last four 9-patch squares. The border between the half granny's need to connect up two or three stitches so the the first color is ( 4 rows) finishes at the first patch of the 9-patch. The second color of the border finishs with the middle patch of the 9-patch. I hope this helps you.

456629485_72cc6cfe24_m.jpg

456629491_73de138055_m.jpg

OK so here are the pics I promised of my 2 different types of grannies for the blue star afghan. I'm thinking of making one more test square - another regular granny with the same 3 colors, but switching the green and variegated.

Archived