Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

Everyones finished afghans are gorgeous!!

This afghan was actually my FIRST crochet project. Looking back I don't know what I was thinking to tackle this project first (it even says advanced in the description), but I fell in love with the afghan and had my heart set on making it first....so that I did!

I shed so many tears over it.....especially since I did not have the pattern corrections and I am your typical accountant who has to follow patterns EXACTLY. I remember the first time I had to fudge and not follow the pattern I called my mother back in the US in tears over having to do something not in the directions! lol

I did the afghan with a combination of three colors. I remember sitting down and graphing out the colors on a piece of paper so that it would all fit together nicely.

My finished afghan is located here on my blog: http://cityofcrochet.blogspot.com/2005/05/my-star-afghanit-is-finished.html

Best of luck to all of you in finishing your afghans! I look forward to seeing your pictures!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, Barbara - have you done much on the Blue Star? I haven;t since my one and only photo a while back.

I've seen you on the round ripple thread - I lurk lots of places. No more CALs for me, though, till I get caught up!!

Love those ripples - wish my son was still a little guy so I could make the Spiderman one for him - Hmmmm....maybe for Christmas he can be young again...

Judianne: When I get back to my blue star I'll still be working on how to do the squares and wedges section. So I still have a long way to go, but I'm pacing myself because otherwise I'll just get frustrated. That's why I've been working more on the spiderman afghan on the round ripple CAL lately. It's a fun one to make and once you do the first few rounds, you never need to look at the pattern again except for when to make color changes. I need those kinds of projects sometimes.

Kimberly, Your blue star is gorgeous. I had such a hard time picking my 5 colors, but I was afraid it would lose something if I used only 3 or 4. Your afghan is proof that it's just as spectacular with only 3 colors. Thanks for sharing.

Judianne: When I get back to my blue star I'll still be working on how to do the squares and wedges section. So I still have a long way to go, but I'm pacing myself because otherwise I'll just get frustrated. That's why I've been working more on the spiderman afghan on the round ripple CAL lately. It's a fun one to make and once you do the first few rounds, you never need to look at the pattern again except for when to make color changes. I need those kinds of projects sometimes.

That's why I'm enjoying making baby ghans!! Plus they're smaller:D

Thank you everyone for your comments! :hug

It did work out nicely with just the three colors. I will try to see if I can find the paper that I did up for my colors and post a copy of it in case others are wondering how using only three colors will work! I had it all nicely highlighted and marked out.

I do enjoy the fact that we all use the same pattern, but each of our finished afghans are uniquely ours!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you al know that I'm just about finished with my Blue Star. The assembly wasn't any where near as hard as I had feared, Thanks to all the hints I read here along the way. It's been a month since I had a chance to post here, so many of you may not remember that my 'ghan is in shades of blue except that I used pale yellow in place of the navy blue called for. All the yarn, except the yellow, came from my stash, so it's been a great project for me.

This was also my first CAL, and I have been so happy to meet you all and get so much good advice. :clap Cheers to everyone. I've admired your work so much over the last few months. You've inspired me to actually complete a complicated project and have fun doing it. Marci

I'm really close to being done too. I've finished 2 1/2 of my 4 corners. I will probably finish one more tonight and start the other. I just hope i have enough yarn to finish it off. I'm so close I can taste it :) I dread the idea of weaving in the ends. When I finish i will get a picture :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been done with my afghan for a few weeks now and finally just got pictures :lol:think

So here they are ... i still need to weave in ends

On my queen size bed

May2007043.jpg

close up of the corner

May2007046.jpg

and a close up of the part thats a little wonky ... its not straight but i'm leaving it :lol

May2007045.jpg

Danielle, that's beautiful!! You're beautiful ghan has also helped me make a decision. I WON'T drop this one - like Krystal, it's a WIP that's going to be finished... DH will be doing lots of traveling for business the next 6 months - it's a perfect opportunity for me to get caught up - cleaning and cooking go by the wayside when he's away!:lol

Danielle - Wow - it's gorgeous! Well done!

I finally got back to work on mine a week or so ago and finally figured out how to do the block-wedge-block units using regular granny squares instead of the 9-patches. I'm moving along slowly but surely now and I'm determined that this will get finished.

I found this CAL and I want in! :) I will be making this afghan for a craft fair entry. :) I was trying to skim through all of thses threads and all your afghans look great. :) TTYL

Welcome, Monet! I'll also be picking mine up again sometime in the next month or so...

BTW...your work I saw on the blog is gorgeous!

Welcome, Monet! I'll also be picking mine up again sometime in the next month or so...

BTW...your work I saw on the blog is gorgeous!

Thank you so much :) I am working on and have squares comming in for a comfortghan I am making my bf's mother. So I trying to finish that first, but I am still looking at what colors I would like to make this ghan. I can't wait.

Thank you so much :) I am working on and have squares comming in for a comfortghan I am making my bf's mother. So I trying to finish that first, but I am still looking at what colors I would like to make this ghan. I can't wait.

A suggestion that worked for many of us in picking colors: if you want to use a variegated as one color chice, pick that first - it makes picking out the others easier.

Joining squares for a ghan is a nice thing to do - I've been involved with that, too. Do you whipstitch or sc them together?

OK, I'll cave. I have aways loved this pattern. I've been away from the board for too long, I come back and... Y'all did it without me!!!! :( Well, I'm buried in scrap ghans (I'm doing Dot's Scrumptupus Scraps in different colorways for my five kids) but I think I may have to break down and make something for me. I have some RH Watercolor that I have been drooling over for eons, and I'm going to use that with sage greens, fisherman, and periwinkle. Yum.

I have a very bizzare idea though. Has anyone ever made a "masterpiece" like this and backed it so it could be hung like a quilt? I have a bare wall in my bedroom that would showcase it beautifully, and it would be protected from the above mentioned five kids. What d'ya think? I have a cream topsheet that I would resize and then tack the ghan invisibly with matching yarn, tying on the wrong side. Am I nuts?

Archived