Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

OK,I've actually got *2* skeins of Rose Pink. Both are RHSS, "NO DYE LOT", but one was a 6 oz (with a Wal-Mart tag) and one is 7 oz. Both are slightly used. The look the same color. Which or how many do you want?

Krystal. I PM'd you on this!!! Thank you very much. It will save me having to deal with DH on buying yarn!! He does not like to go into "those places"!!!LOL

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was able to sneak out today and get some yarn. Decided to stick with my original color scheme - the plums and green - but could only find 3 of my colors. I may have to order the other 2 on line. Anyway, I was able to go ahead and do my center star, but can't do any of the 9-patches til I get the rest of my yarn. Felt good to get started.

Hi Wendy~ everything is going fine. Working alot lately. That seems the normal since we are coming out of winter here, although we had snow flurry's yesterday. I have bought 5 cars ina week and all of them need a little TLC with clean up. And three of them were white. Ugh what was I thinking. I must say the Saturn Wagon has cleaned up nicely and I should get a good price for it. One of the other cars was a Honda and I all ready have a deposit on it. It is going into car selling season, as May and June are our best months for selling. And my body feels like it was hit by a truck lol If anything, this should be good for losing weight for the summer :rofl

Barbar~ I am glad you were able to decide on your colors, I liked the plum/ greens you choose. It should be a very pretty ghan when done. I keep saying I am going to start on mine, but need to finish this baby ghan first. I made myself promise to do at least 2 rows each night.

A question about the blue star quilt...Has anyone tried replacing the 9-patches with regular granny squares. I'm thinking of trying it. I like the 9-patches, but I'm not thrilled with making so many of them. Just wondering if anyone has experimented with this aspect of the project.

Barbara. I am likeing your colors also. I would also be interested in how the granny works in place of the 9-patches squares. Never thought of it. Let us know if it works!!!

Barbara,

Yes, you could do that - it is 7 rounds, just like the "half granny" that I made into a "not-half" granny :lol. It might mess up some of your joining counts, but you can figure that out as you go. The counts on the joining aren't really exact as long as your piece lies flat.

I happen to think the 9-patches help make it look as sharp as it does, as much as I hated making them.

Barbara, I think you would be fine as long as you follow the gauge of granny squares which is 7" as the book mentioned. It will be interesting.

Assuming you need to do 7 rows, maybe 2 rows of MC or A, another two rows of C and finally three rows of D ? Can do same for the half granny squares which can be in same rows amounts - 2 for C, 2 for MC, and 3 for A.

IMHO, I think different color combinations in granny squares will have same effect as 9 patch squares instead of one solid color. ;)

Another idea that I always want to do for this afghan is doing it in thread. :cheer I might do it in bedspread thread, "3 or "10 thread (?). I probably follow the yardage of the yarn instead skien amounts. I have been thinking about this idea since I frogged the entire afghan. :c9

I don't expect the afghan to be so big so I don't care about the gauge. So. california can be hot most of the year. Any opinions or thoughts?

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. I'll probably try making a couple of each type of granny (definitely using all three colors with the "regular" one as well) and just see which I like better. Will post pics after I get them made.

Since I can't do any more on the Blue Star til I get the rest of my yarn, I've started making "Sandy Shells" from the same book. That one just caught my eye, and I'm using some of the colors from the other color scheme I considered for the blue star - TLC Essentials Choco Cherry variegated, Fusion and Linen. I LOVE these colors and I think they will look nice in this pattern.

Diane, using thread would certainly be unique - but how's your eyesight and your hands? I just made a simple thread bookmark and both my eyes and my hands were tired and achy at the end!:P

Maybe sportweight yarn?:think That's definitely lighter than 4 ply.

I used baby weight on the last one, I had to change the hook size to get the correct gauge, but I was making it for orginally someone done in Florida, then with the color change to an older woman here in NJ. It worked out fine and was a lot lighter than worst weight would have been. The next one is in worsted weight wool, so I know it will be heavy.

I've had a lot of RL stuff going on for the past couple of days. Parents are also visiting and will be leaving late Saturday night.

On the border I've redone the white and country blue. I've also now got the 2 Windsor rounds done. Still need to do the navy rounds. I figure 2-3 rounds more and I'm all done other than weaving in the few ends from the border rounds. :yay

That's awesome! I love your blue star - it's beautiful. I can't wait to get some more done on mine - I only have the center star done and need to find my last 2 colors before I can keep going. This is one of those projects that would definitely be in danger of ending up in my - oh, I'll get back to it someday - pile if not for this CAL. It really is motivating to see all the pics of you guys' progress!

Barbara its great to come in here everyday and talk about our progress. I dont think I would have been able to finish mine if it werent for all the girls at the ville. I even do more than one project now and I never did that before the ville either. Im looking forward to seeing your version of the blue star.

Lady your nearly there. well done.

I havent done any of mine this week. Might do some tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice Judy and Tracy! :hug

I am still on vacation in san francisco. When I go back home, I will look around and get some ideas.

I might try one 9 patch square in thread as a gauge swatch. I hope to have a spring/summer project. So I am not in any hurry.

I have 20/20 sight with glasses, and my hands so strong from all the signing usage I do for about 30 years as a deaf person :hook:wink:P

Seriously, I don't have any serious conditions as arthisis or carnal tunnel syndrome (sp?). I do take many breaks from crochetting out of habit.

Archived