Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

I know how you feel Lady. When I have done too much crocheting i can really feel it in my wrist but you dont want to stop when you know your close to finishing. Have a break and put ice on it like Krystal says and see how you go.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, Lady! One hour per round. I hope you take breaks about every 30 minutes, and Ice those wrists is practical as well as funny:) When I read about your idea for a wider border in all the blues it sounded beautiful. I'm sure it will be worth all the effort, so keep the ice coming!

I'm still on Granny 3's. Have all the centers and side squares done, and hope to finish eight sets of corners tonight.:rofl Well, a girl can dream, can't she? I've been spring cleaning the living room all day, moving my Blue Star squares from one place to another and NOT working on them, but now I'm gonna put my feet up, get a cup of tea (Hi, Wendy), and relax with my crochet:manyheart . Talk to you all tomorrow. Marci

I'm about 1/4 of a round away from finishing up the first blue.

Ice won't help in this case, but thank you. I think part of the problem was how cold it was yesterday. Cold causes me joint problems in general. I'm taking ibuprofen and really slowing down. Bad as I want to finish, I know that if I push I'll end up in a bad state. :(

OK, I need opinions here. My border around my blanket seems to be rather wavy.

Wavy_Corner.jpg

Wavy_HalfGranny.jpg

Will the next 4 rows of the border likely flatten it out mostly, or do I need to frog the 3 border rows out and have less stitches in the border?

Block it, or stretch it out and see if that helps. I think that the more you go the better it will lay. You maybe excited about being close to finishing, and are crocheting tighter than normal. I do that!

Hmmm.. I was going to say the opposite - that you're rushing and getting looser... waves tend to indicated looser... puckering indicates tighter (to me).

But I still agree, the more you add, that will tone down. However, make sure you pay attention to your gauge and make it a little tighter than the round before it...

OK, I need opinions here. My border around my blanket seems to be rather wavy.

Wavy_Corner.jpg

Wavy_HalfGranny.jpg

Will the next 4 rows of the border likely flatten it out mostly, or do I need to frog the 3 border rows out and have less stitches in the border?

When I did the border just over the half granny block it said to do single crochets as the half granny does sit a bit above the rest and doing the single crochets brings it even. Not sure if this is your problem and I wouldnt undo what you have done. The wavy parts arent really noticeable and it is looking really great. I really like how you did a dark color for the border so I might do that for my bright one.

Well, I ended up frogging out the 3 border rows done so far. I should have taken a better picture as the one I took doesn't show just how much the 9-patch was being stretched by the border. I figured with all the hours put into the blanket already, I should end up with a final result I would be happiest with. :)

Lady looking back at the pictures, I see what you mean by the corner being stretched. I would be frogging as well. I am going to start my 9-patches for my next star on Monday. I am sick to death of baby blankets right now. :lol

Hi. I've been checkin in with this site once in a while for some time to see what other crocheters are up to - but when I came across this thread a few days ago I was inspired to get involved. I love this afghan/quilt. I've ordered the book and it should get here next week some time. I can't wait to get started - albeit a little late (what's 3 months anyway). I'm notorious for starting big projects like this and moving on to something else before finishing - but I'd like to make this for my mom and give it to her for Christmas - so maybe that will keep me motivated. And the pics that many of you have posted so far will be good motivaters too - beautiful! Right now I'm just debating/stressing about my colors - I'm actually contemplating a purplish/plumish/eggplantish colorscheme - any thoughts?

Barbara

Welcome out of lurkdom, Barbara!!

Most, if not all of us, have found that picking the variegated yarn fist makes it easier to pick the other colors - and try and stick with the same brand so the weights are the same (though you can still have problems anyway, since ithe thickness of the yarn can still vary by color).:eek

Many of us, myself included, will be here for a very long time......you'll have plenty of company!

I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

Yep, worked on mine this morning while the kids were in Religion class. :D I have finally figured out what and how I want to expand the main body of the afghan, and I'm pretty sure I have it worked out in my head to make it do-able...

:cheer

Welcome to Cville Barbara! There are a few of us that are nearing the finish point. Feel free to ask if you need help on any particular spot as to how we may have 'fudged' to get around something. :D

Thanks ladies. I'm only about a quarter of the way around my first white round due to my good ol wrists. But it is laying flat now, and looks much better. :)

Angel. We have been doing the Blue Star afghan. If all the books are the same it is on page 16. Some of us started with the center star and others started doing all of the 9-square granny patches.

Most of us started out by picking out our varigated yarn and went from there.

Angel,

you can either start on the center star and stop once you get to the grannies, then make the grannies as you need them.

OR, you can make ALL the grannies first, then go back to the center star and move right along.

It depends on you and how you like to make your pieces.

Lady. What are you doing different this time that is making it be more smooth.

On the half granny, I'm alternating 3 dc groups with 2 dc groups, and only 1 dc in the center. On the corners where the 9 patches are, I'm only putting 2 dc groups in any of the 'corners' of each piece of the 9 patch. I'll take a picture of the two spots on my blanket after I get my first round completed (again.) ;)

Lady Im glad its working out now and that you sound more happier with it.

Barbara and Angel welcome, you will love making this ghan. A few of us are making a second one so there will still be people here if you have any problems. In the very first few posts of this cal it shows corrections in this pattern, it may pay to print it out for future reference when you get to those areas.

Krystal nice to have you back. Im going to mums today and Im taking the blue star with me to try and finish granny block 2. Im itching to start the star but Im holding off as I want to finish all the blocks and wedges first.

Archived