Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

I had to take my DD to the orthopedic clinic today for her thumb (she is now sporting a hot pink cast). I knew I'd have lots of waiting time, so I packed up my DD and DS's giant granny's and off we went. We got there and were informed that they were running an hour behind schedule, so I told my DD that I would get lots done. I pulled hers out, grabbed my glasses and hook, did a few stitches and realized that in my haste to get everything together and make a mad dash to the clinic 45 minutes away (with no traffic) I grabbed the wrong size hook :eek

I had been working on a different project, and that one takes a different size hook. Since DD's granny is being made in Caron SS, there was no way I could have used that hook, it would have been too noticeable. So I worked on my DS's ghan instead. I am using Red Heart on his, and I could adjust the tension enough that it is barely noticeable, especially since it is mostly verigated. I thought she would be real mad that I was working on his, not hers. But she wasn't. The only thing she said when I pulled his out was that it was really cool and she wanted one too :lol so I guess when his is done, I will make her one like it without her knowing it.

To remedy this problem so it doesn't happen again, I am going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow and buying a set of hooks to keep in my take along bag. That way, I will have the sizes I need with me at all times ;)

I just love their 40% off coupons :cheer

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I decided to post a pic of my DD's rectangle afghan. It is now bigger, since I had lots of time to crochet when I took her to the emergency room earlier this evening. I thought it was best to work on hers and not her brother's. She went skiing yesterday and broke her thumb. She is now in a splint halfway up her arm and is unable to move her thumb at all. It is her right thumb, and yes, she is right handed. The count is now 3 broken bones. She has broken both wrists and now her thumb. At least she spreads it out and doesn't break stuff back to back :lol

th_hillysrectgranny1.jpg

clickable

DreamsOfYarn

I really like your granny:manyheart it's so pretty, I just can't wait to see it whe you get it finished:yay :hook

YAY!! :yay I finally finished my DD's granny afghan! 52 rounds with a J hook! :hook It looks to be at least twin size. I'm sooo happy its finally done! :jumpyay I'll try to post a pic soon. Now to figure out the colors for the one I want to make hubby, lol. :rock

RedHeart, I also have 4 afghan's in progress. I have 1 ripple (almost finished), 2 rectangle grannies, and one simple DC going. I have learned to be extremely careful going from one to another, since they are all different patterns, and one is a different size hook.

At least with multiple afghans going at the same time, I don't get bored going between them. The rectangle grannies are for my DD and DS, so I have to keep them a similar size so they don't think I'm favoring one over the other :lol

Since I have now started making granny square afghans for the Fisher House here in WA at Fort Lewis, I guess I can become an official member of this crochet along. I am working on one and have the colors and some yarn picked out for 2 more. I am about a third finished already on the first one and am anxious to get the others started. I am using different camos for the main color and using solids that match for the other colors. The one I am working on has 3 solids with the camo. The largest one I have ever made was as king size square with a ruffle edging. The fastest I ever did was 2 couch sized that I did in 3 weeks just before Christmas for presents done several years ago - worked almost day and night to get them finished.

Chickpea, I'm not sure myself why it would twist like that. Maybe it has something to do with hook size for the yarn? Maybe if you posted that in the crochet help section someone who knows might be able to help. Your colors are lovely, btw.

Hey ladies,

I started on a giant granny square ghan awhile a go and was finding htat it was twisting like so:

th_GHblanket.jpg

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how it can be fixed?? I paid attention to my gauge...

--------------

Rachel, I think it does that because of the slight amount of twist pressure from the crochet process (that's my theory, anyway). I think once it's washed, it will straighten out just fine.

Thought I'd give a brief update on the 2 rectangle grannies I'm working on. I've done 4 more rows on each one. I haven't made quite as much progress as I'd hoped to by now. My wrist still hasn't healed completely, so it's slow going for now. I'll just keep doing a little at a time cause I sure don't want to overdo it and hinder the healing process.

Take care of yourself, Dreams. Resting and healing now will pay off later, I hope. My progress is impeded by a 10 pound cat who comes running when I pull out my red, white, and blue rectangle. :cat I think I'll have to make him a cat mat of his own.

:clap Hi Ladies

I hope that all of you are doing well...

I have to get a baby rectangle granny made, our grandson is due the middle of June:c9 , so, I have to get busy, or it won't be done in time.

Maybe I have too many irons in the fire..LOL I have a stack of WIP's just to the left of me on our couch:eek :think

This time, when I start to make it, I'm going to use either a G, or an H hook, we have baby yarn, so I have to use a smaller hook.:yes

Hey ladies,

I started on a giant granny square ghan awhile a go and was finding htat it was twisting like so:

th_GHblanket.jpg

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how it can be fixed?? I paid attention to my gauge...

:hi when i tried a granny square mine did that too !!!! it was driving me CRAZY

i found that if i went to a bigger size hook that it didnt do it ...it is because the hook is to small for the size/thickness od yarn :yes

and in the corners i put in 2dc ch 1 2dc instead of 3 like most patterns say....hope this helps

Well, Ive decided to start my DH's afghan. I'll be using blue and black. I can't think of another color to go with it so I guess I'm going to use just 2 colors. I like making granny afghans because I can watch tv, even with subtitles, and crochet away on it , hehe.

Hey ladies,

th_GHblanket.jpg

Rachel try turning your work after every row and you will find it wil be very straight. You will also find that the square in the middle wont look like its at an angle.

Also a great way to start a row is in the corner only do 3 DCs then when you come round to the end of the row do the other 3 DCs and then instead of 2 chains to join you do a HDC and it brings you back in the centre so when you turn your work you are in that hdc space ready to start your next row.

If you are already turning your work then I dont know what else can be wrong.

Hi, Ladies! I had a productive weekend on my red, white, and blue rectangle. I put on 10 rows and it is now about 2.5 by 3 feet long. I'm getting to the point where it will take me :hook about an hour to crochet one round.

Thanks Wendy and Clare--

this was a free pattern from lion brand, and I used the hook size and directions they gave! It does not turn at the end of the round, so this might be a fix. The info on starting in the corner and using less stitches might help too!!

Archived