Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

Well, I've started my DH's giant rectangle granny. :hook I was needing something to crochet while I watch subtitled Japanese Drama, lol. I'm using blue, black, and, maybe, white in Mainstay. The blue is a really nice color. I wish I had bought more than 3 skeins of it. It would have made a nice shawl. :yes

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the giant rectangle granny I made for DD. It's 52 rounds. I put a very simple 3 dc ruffle as a border. I didn't get the whole thing in the pic because I didn't have a big enough place to lay it and there is still a ton of snow outside.

IMG_0031.jpg

I am so mad at myself. I have to frog the 2 rectangle grannies I'm doing for my kids. I have spent almost every waking moment since Thursday at the hospital with my mom. She had surgery Thursday, and now has complications. So I've had plenty of time to crochet. I was going to town on them. Once mom was awake and alert enough to comprehend what she was seeing, I showed them to her. When I laid them out for her, that is when I noticed it. They are not flat. They are wavy, curly, ripply, wonky...you name it, they are it, except for flat. I couldn't figure out what it was until I saw the hook laying there. I picked up the wrong hook and crocheted many rows with the wrong size hook :eek

I told the kids how sorry I was, and they felt bad for me, not them. That made me feel a little better about what I did. I told them I'd frog them and then try again. They both said to not do a granny, just to do a regular one. They want me to make them one like I'm making for my best friend. So I'm making my son's with 2 strands (variegated and white) and my daughter's will probably be a 3 strand with her colors of pink, brown and white. I'm going to DC it with a really big hook :lol

Mel, oh noooo! :hug I hate it when I pick up the wrong hook! I'm sure most of us have been there done that. I'll bet whatever you decide to make will be beautiful. I hope your mother is doing well. Here's a hug for her too. :hug

Amanda, Your granny afghan is lovely! Keep up the good work! :cheer

I'm still plugging along with my red, white, and blue. My aunt, a crocheter, will be visiting Mom this weekend, and it's going to be cold again. I see a lot of crochet in my future. This ghan is now large enough to cover most of me while I work on it. I can get two opinions ;) (without even asking) on how big to make it.

I've only got 28 rounds on my DH's rectangle granny done so far. I've got a long way to go. So I will be here for a while. The afghan is looking nice. DH seems to like the colors. I tried to weave in some of the ends one night, but there are still tons of them left. Oh well, weaving in ends doesn't seem to bother me quite as much as it used to, for some reason. :think I would still rather be crocheting than weaving, though. :hook

Hi Everyone

I've just started a rectangle granny, and the corners are all strange! It all flares out at the corners and the middle section is all skinny....is that normal????

I'll try and take some pictures to show you what I mean later...

How many rows do you have so far and how many chain stitches are you putting in the corners? I think others earlier on this thread were having the same problem, but the afghans straightened out after several rows. Good Luck!

Hi Everyone

I've just started a rectangle granny, and the corners are all strange! It all flares out at the corners and the middle section is all skinny....is that normal????

I'll try and take some pictures to show you what I mean later...

If you're using my pattern, that's normal. After the afghan gets a bit bigger the weight of the afghan straightens things out. I've made dozens (ok, probably more like 103) of these afghans and have never had a problem...other than the time I put fringe on one of the afghans. (fringe is just a waste of good yarn)

Well, I have 33 rows now on my DH's granny afghan. And it looks so small. :lol Yeah, I'm slacking a bit, but slow and steady wins the race. Would be nice if I qualified for the steady part. :2spin How is everyone else doing?

I am happy to report that I finished my rectangular granny afghan for my Dad yesterday! The color is a little washed out in the photo, but I did it in Red Heart dark thyme, celery and black and then misc. leftover white (diff. brands). I finished it with a final row of sc. 50 rounds with an h hook. The long side is about 6 feet 1 inch to give you an idea of size. This turned out to be a great take-a-long project once I had a rolling craft cart. Those last 10 rounds take forever to do!

Stephanie

239111319.jpg

Archived