Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lov2Crochet

I believe that these big grannies, are a lot easier to make then the round ripple I've had on the back burner, because of my left hand, I can crochet a little bit, then put it down, but the giant grannies, have always been so much fun & easy to make!!!

I'm anxious to see some pics of yours:yay :cheer

Hi everybody! All your grannies look great!! I WAS working on two of them, one from a really pretty yellow homespun color and one two stranded coffee and off white. I was working on the two stranded one last night and realized that I didn't like the way it looked, the off white looked too white next to the coffee, sooooo I frogged it. The homespun one on the other hand, is coming along quite nicely. I love working on that one!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!!

I started on my granny yesterday evening, & this is how far I've gotten, I had to frog it, when I first started out, because I saw some mistakes, so:frog :frog ...LOL

Have a great sunday!!

Clickable

th_PaintedDesertGrannyWIP001.jpg

I forgot:eek I wanted to add that when I start out making a rec. granny, I figure out how many colors I want to use, then if the skeins of yarn are about 8 ounces a piece, I buy 3 to 4 of each color, & that's for a big rectangle, about a double bed size:hook

The red heart ss painted desert is 5 ounces a skein, so I'll need about 2 to 3 more skeins, to complete the 'ghan....

I feel silly but... what is a Granny Afgan?

I just started to make an afgan (I started last night!) and I convinced my mom to continue one that she hasn't worked on in years! I am trying a different stitch than I have not done before, so so far it doesn't look very good, but I will unravel it and start over once I get the hang of it! :P

Well the one I started still isn't done. I just can't seem to get it going, probably b/c I know it is just for Dh and me and I don't have a deadline.

On the other hand, I just started another one today. Dh informed me that one of his co-worker's husband has cancer, they just sent him home a couple of days ago and they were calling in hospice. So I need to get this one done ASAP. I will post pics of my progress tonight.

I'm BAAAACK!! My good friend is having foot surgery next month and I've never made her an afghan. Her favorite color is purple. I checked my stash and had 3 or 4 partials of different shades of purple, but they didn't look good together. I went to 4 stores to look for ww purples, and ended up with only lavender. Grrr-how aggravating that I couldn't find even two shades that went together. So I'm making RHSS lavender and soft white.

i love these - i've made 3 so far just using a hugh stash of wool i inherited from my granny :grandma !!

it's full of different weights and colours of wool and i just used whatever was there so some of the colours stop mid way through a row - they're pretty unique!!!

I feel silly but... what is a Granny Afgan?

I just started to make an afgan (I started last night!) and I convinced my mom to continue one that she hasn't worked on in years! I am trying a different stitch than I have not done before, so so far it doesn't look very good, but I will unravel it and start over once I get the hang of it! :P

Hi Ellie-Jag:hook

Please don't feel silly for asking a question, If there is something that you don't know about, I've always been taught, when there is something someone doesn't know about, then, ask a question :yes!! A giant ganny afghan is a large rectangular crocheted afghan:hook, the one on my 360 blog, fits our double bed:yes :yay:manyheart

Here is a link, to the pic. of the Giant granny afghan, it's one of my giant granny afghans, that I made for one of our grown children!!!

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-DzBqLbQyerL7U_Ug4HAS1tP6?tag=giantgrannyafghans&l=6&u=10&mx=11&lmt=5

This is the link, to the pattern I used, along with a lot of us!! This pattern even has pictures:yay

http://iamtotallyobsessedwithyarn.blogspot.com/2006/01/granny-square-pattern-with-pictures.html

I hope I answered your question... Also, these giant granny afghans, are easy, & fast to make...

I'm BAAAACK!! My good friend is having foot surgery next month and I've never made her an afghan. Her favorite color is purple. I checked my stash and had 3 or 4 partials of different shades of purple, but they didn't look good together. I went to 4 stores to look for ww purples, and ended up with only lavender. Grrr-how aggravating that I couldn't find even two shades that went together. So I'm making RHSS lavender and soft white.

HiRedheart!!

That is so sweet, to make a granny for your friend, I'm sure that she will like it!! & it'll keep her foot nice & warm:manyheart

I'm anxious to see a picture of it:hook

Natcat~

Thanks for the welcome-it's good to be back in this CAL. My ghan is about the size of a large placemat. I worked on it last nite while watching the Indians beat the Red Sox. (Go Tribe!) I would like to get a digital camera for Christmas so I can share my projects, so until then, no pics.

Redheart

I'm glad that you started on your'ghan!!:hook

I started on the 2nd set of colors on mine, I have 3 different colors for each set, but tonight I found a big mistake on the 2nd row of burgundy on the 2nd set, :eek , so I had to take out about 1 1/2 rows, & my hubby told me, that's ok, it goes pretty fast!!!

I do hope that you get a digital camera for Christmas :cheer:clap

I've been working on my rec. granny inbetween doing other things around the house, anyway, here is an update on how far I've gotten!!

I just finished the 2nd set of colors on it:hook

Clickable

th_PaintedDesertGrannyWIP.jpg

Ok this is not fair, I just buzzed in here to see what you were all talking about and well NowI have to add to my list because this is the cutest blanket. I have always loved grannies but really don't like to joining because I am not very good at it. This is awesome. I hope I will be welcome here. Love the blankets that I saw they are beautiful.:manyheart

Hi britt

You sure are welcome here in this CAL:hook :yay

Thank you, I know you could make a big granny afghan like the one I'm making, they're so easy, & fun to make!!

Just checking in. I still don't have my yarn picked out. I was thinking about doing a scrap one? What do you all think about that? I have a bunch of yarn. I was thinking a nursing home won't mind that is scrap yarn. I just wanted to see how it would look and I want to use some of what I have because hubby is getting worried about all my bags of yarn. Well let me know what you think. Thanks,see ya:manyheart

Just checking in. I still don't have my yarn picked out. I was thinking about doing a scrap one? What do you all think about that? I have a bunch of yarn. I was thinking a nursing home won't mind that is scrap yarn. I just wanted to see how it would look and I want to use some of what I have because hubby is getting worried about all my bags of yarn. Well let me know what you think. Thanks,see ya:manyheart

Hi Britt!!

I'm sure sorry that your hubby is all worried about your yarn, gosh, I have a spare bed FULL of yarn, & have it separated into bags, for each project I'm going to be doing..

I just figure that it'll get use, sooner or later,

Anyway so much for my yarn, I think that a nursing home would really like a nice big granny to keep someone warm, it's getting to that cool season too:yay

Any yarn would do, & it could be any size, especially lapghans, so the people can sit & have a nice granny to keep them warm & cuddily:manyheart

Hi everyone! I was wondering if it would be okay if I jump in on this. I started one of these afghans last week-end, but haven't taken a picture of it yet to post. But I thought it would be fun. I was going to start a quiltghan, but it was intended for my sister and she hasn't decided on colors, so I'm going with this one for now. It's really fun and I like the pattern alot.

Welcome, Cathy! I need to concentrate on this because I just found out my friend's surgery is Nov. 1. AACK! I thought I had more time. I want to take it to her when she's up to having visitors. It's about 2' by 3' now, so I have a ways to go. This weekend is supposed to be cold and rainy-perfect to work on a warm project.

Thank you Redheart. Yes, I believe our weather is going to be on the chilly side as well. I love curling up and working on an afghan when it's like that outside. I don't think I've made quite as much progress as you have, but hope to really have a chance to work on it alot the next few days. Take care!

Archived