Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't posted in a LONG time, but I'm jumping back in!:compute

Since the last post here was on the 1st, I suppose it's safe to join in? I just stared a rectangle granny for my 1o year old stepson in red and black. He is a HUGE Georgia Bulldogs fan. I'm planning on doing the first 6 rows alternating between the two colors, so it ends up like a checkerboard kinda, then doing a few solid rows and maybe another checkerboard one. I'm trying to keep it from looking like a big bullseye. What do ya'll think?

I haven't posted in a LONG time, but I'm jumping back in!:compute

Since the last post here was on the 1st, I suppose it's safe to join in? I just stared a rectangle granny for my 1o year old stepson in red and black. He is a HUGE Georgia Bulldogs fan. I'm planning on doing the first 6 rows alternating between the two colors, so it ends up like a checkerboard kinda, then doing a few solid rows and maybe another checkerboard one. I'm trying to keep it from looking like a big bullseye. What do ya'll think?

That sounds good. Or if you don't mind my oppinion, I'd keep alternating the two colors then make the border the solid colors then a rsc using the two colors. What do you think?

I thought about that. Honestly, it's kind of just coming as it comes if that makes any sense. I think I'm gonna try both and see which one feels right. BTW, I'm new, what does rsc mean?

It's the reverse single crochet. Also known as the crab stitch. You could go to www.stitchguide.com and see a video on how to do it. Maybe make a small swatch and practice it. Thats what I did just to learn how to do it.

Welcome, Becky! I admire your crocheting with Homespun. I can only knit with it-too fluffy. I worked on my ghan a little over the weekend. My friend is home resting her foot as the surgery went well. I was sidetracked by a trip to Hobby Lobby where I bought 2 skeins and had to start knitting scarves with them right away. I think I have yarn ADD!

I finished my giant granny:woo

It's been long enough, but I really did finish the painted desert granny!!!:yay:manyheart:hookThe size is 68 inches long, & 53 inches wide.

Click on picture

th_PaintedDesertGranny01.jpg

th_PaintedDesertGrannyCorner.jpg

:eek Carol.....that is beautiful.....I love that color combination. You always do such pretty colors.....my ,my,my..you have such a talent when it comes to making these...keep it up girl.:hook

I just finished my 1st granny square afghan. I am not sure how to post pictures on here either. :(

I used a regular granny square pattern that my great aunt showed me. I had a few problems with it and didn't realize until afterwards but I still think my coworker will like it. She is getting it for Christmas.

I have 2 more started and I am going to try and do these correctly :)

I tried making the original granny square pattern listed on the first thread but some how I am ending up with round edges instead of square. I will have to reread it and try again.

I am in the middle of one and it is luxurious! I am using Bernat Bamboo and it is cuddly soft. It will function as a shoulder wrap when I decide to finish it.

I believe that the reason you are getting rounded corners on your granny is because you are forgetting to make an extra set of 3 dc in the corners. Each corner should be 3 dc, ch 2, 3dc. ch1, 3 dc in next space etc. Only the corners get 2 sets of 3 dc with a ch 2 in between. Otherwise you make 2 dc in each space with a ch 1 in between. I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm making my husband a rectangle granny afghan as a surprise christmas present for him! I'm hiding it from him until christmas morning. I think he's going to be shocked that I *FINALLY* made him something of his own! I'm making it in colors that remind me of our wonderful trip to Colorado last month. I'm using Red Heart in Aspen Print, Dark Sage, & Buff. I'll post as I go onward. Hope I can get this done SOON! :hook

Hi! I'm making my husband a rectangle granny afghan as a surprise christmas present for him! I'm hiding it from him until christmas morning. I think he's going to be shocked that I *FINALLY* made him something of his own! I'm making it in colors that remind me of our wonderful trip to Colorado last month. I'm using Red Heart in Aspen Print, Dark Sage, & Buff. I'll post as I go onward. Hope I can get this done SOON! :hook

Those colors sounds nice. Can't wait to see it. I have a giant granny I've been working off and on for about 4 years. :lol I wanted it to be big enough to cover a double bed. But for a young child it'll be perfect. He'll be able to use it for a few years. The colors are skipper blue and off white. Still not sure when I'll finish it. :lol

Hi!

I'm Deb, and I'm a giant granny addict. :hook

As a matter of fact, I just started 2 more. (Is there a "what were you thinking?" smiley lol?)

Y'all do beautiful work.

I have made a few giant grannies, square and rectangle, for donating to Linus and our local hospital. I sometimes even use scrap yarns at least 18" long or more. If I have a ball of yarn that I feel I don't think I will make anything else from it, I use this also. I am nearly finished with another one and this will go to our local hospital.

Archived