Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

hey everyone

i have a question about big granny squares :)

i have heard that you can turn the work after every row.....does any one else do this ? and does it make a difference if you dont turn the work ?

thanks every one

i am making the rectangle granny so i will get a pic and join this cal :bounce if you will have me

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

welcome clare! I don't turn my work after every row and it is turning out just fine. I had never heard of turning it after every row I guess. Looking forward to seeing your pics. :)

here is my rectangle granny that i am working on :hook at the moment it is about 100cm x 75cm

its gona be lap size ...but it doesnt have to be ready for another month or so its a WIP:crocheting

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

hey everyone

i have a question about big granny squares :)

i have heard that you can turn the work after every row.....does any one else do this ? and does it make a difference if you dont turn the work ?

thanks every one

i am making the rectangle granny so i will get a pic and join this cal :bounce if you will have me

For a granny there is no need to turn. When you turn you have a right and a wrong side. In a granny all the right sides the same way looks much nicer. So no turning for grannies or any work that is done by completing the tow by joining with ss.

Clare I turn my work after every row. It keeps the rows straight. If you have ever looked at a granny worked on one side you can see from a distance that the rows look lopsided and that bugs the crap out of me. Trouble is it does look nicer when the stitch is all on one side. But the lopside thing bugs me more so I turn my work.

Clare your ghan looks beautiful and colorful.:clap I love the rectangle granny pattern. I havent made one since I first came on in here a year ago.

Clare I turn my work after every row. It keeps the rows straight. If you have ever looked at a granny worked on one side you can see from a distance that the rows look lopsided and that bugs the crap out of me. Trouble is it does look nicer when the stitch is all on one side. But the lopside thing bugs me more so I turn my work.

Clare your ghan looks beautiful and colorful.:clap I love the rectangle granny pattern. I havent made one since I first came on in here a year ago.

thanks aussie i thought i was going bonkers :loco

i think i heard about it from a lady from the crochet group that i run ...but we are on holidays at the moment because of school....so this is the next best palce to ask a question :hook

yeah i HATE it when it looks lopsided :yes

Hi everyone. I started another giant granny. This one is the square pattern and it's light periwinkle and white. I'll post a pic soon of what I have done so far.

Librarycat - your's is beautiful

Clare - I love your color combos

Great work everyone. I love making these. I'm glad this CAL is still going!

Clare, that is looking good!

I worked on my last night. Since I'm going to do a Photo Friday for this CAL I'm going to work on it at least on Wednesday & Thursday night.:lol. I'm not turning each round and it seems like it's working out fine. I couldn't remember which hook I used, and I figured I crochet pretty close between sizes, so I grabbed my H hook. I figured that it's close to a G and I, and I probably used an H.:lol But can't remember. The stitches seem the same. Plus since it's not a gift (yet or maybe never) I'm not going to worry. And last night I couldn't find my aluminum H hook, so I grabbed my plastic one (I got on clearance) and it seemed to work fine. I thought this would make a great summer afghan when I want something over me, either for a bit of warmth or just something to cover me.

Debbi

I want it to be wool so that it'll be warm, but it was to be washable because of her dust mite allergy and it has to come in the colours I want (spring-y pinks and greens, periwinkle/lavendar maybe orange...). Sounds easy enough, but I'm having a tough time finding the right yarn!

Go with a superwash Cascade 220 comes in a superwash and has fab colors. Also check out Elann.com they also have a wide selection...and Webs, Superwash will not felt when washed.

good luck

Clare, if you google for granny square instructions, you will see that turning at the end of each row, is indeed one of the methods. Most people join at the top of the chain 3, then s.s. to the next ch. 1 space. I personally don't like the way this slip stitching looks. And when the change colors with this s.s. method, I don't like how that looks either. A better way would be to end off before doing the s.s., then adding the new color in the ch. 1 space.

What I do is end and start my rows at the corner. I do the 3 dc, then complete the row all around and finish with the other 3 dc, ch 2, then join to top of 1st ch. 3. I then start the new row by doing 3 dc in the ch 2 space I just completed and then continue the row. I saw this many years ago and I like it.

Clare your granny looks great! i like that color combo. Reading this makes me wish I could find my hook and work on mine. To bad I am getting this cold and have absolutly no energy at all to go look for it. :(:sneeze:sick:tired

Clare, if you google for granny square instructions, you will see that turning at the end of each row, is indeed one of the methods. Most people join at the top of the chain 3, then s.s. to the next ch. 1 space. I personally don't like the way this slip stitching looks. And when the change colors with this s.s. method, I don't like how that looks either. A better way would be to end off before doing the s.s., then adding the new color in the ch. 1 space.

What I do is end and start my rows at the corner. I do the 3 dc, then complete the row all around and finish with the other 3 dc, ch 2, then join to top of 1st ch. 3. I then start the new row by doing 3 dc in the ch 2 space I just completed and then continue the row. I saw this many years ago and I like it.

I start my corner like this too except I do a hdc instead of the ch2 it brings you back into the middle so when you turn your work and do the 3dc its easier. Well I think so anyway.

The hdc puts it way over to the edge for me with no space for the last 3dc. So what I do, is the 3 dc, do the round, finish the corner with : 3dc, ch 1, sc in top of the ch 2 (part of the first 3dc--I also start with a Ch2 instead of a ch3, especially on this as the sc raises it a bit). Then I can start in the middle of that corner and finish there.

I guess whatever works is perfect. That's what I love about crochet and this board. :clap We learn different techniques we can try and see what works for each of us. I love the one Post a picture of your grip style which shows a variety of how crocheters hold there hook. There were a few how to books I got that said mine was the wrong way... well they're wrong:lol. My work is fine. I like it and so do others.:yes

Debbi

Didn't get to work on mine too much this weekend...spent a lot of time cleaning my house....I did manage to use up the first skein for each of the four colors!!! I had every intention of posts at least one pic, oops hopefully this week i'll remember!

I didn't work on mine yet since last week. I had to make a baby afghan for a worker (well wanted to, I could have contributed cash). And I started a shawl. The baby afghan is done. The shawl is almost done. I hope I can get to this, but the shawl is so close to being done (1 1/2 rows and a boarder!) that I can taste it and really want to work on it:lol. So we'll see if I get to this at all before my Friday Photo idea. With nothing on TV it's possible:lol

Debbi

i am so excited -- i just finished and mailed off my finished giant rectangle afgan for my middle daughter who is a freshman at college!:cheer i mailed the package so fast i forgot to take any pictures.:crocheting

now i can start a new giant afgan !! i love making them!!!:c9

i am so excited -- i just finished and mailed off my finished giant rectangle afgan for my middle daughter who is a freshman at college!:cheer i mailed the package so fast i forgot to take any pictures.:crocheting

now i can start a new giant afgan !! i love making them!!!:c9

Congratulations on your completion :clap.....

and I agree a peek would've been nice!!!

They are fun when I finish this one I'm working on now I've got another one planned, already purchased the yarn :D

:yayMy daughter Andrea just called from college and was very excited, she got her giant afgan!!! Andrea said she loved it and would send me pictures. I will figure out how to post them once she sends them:cheer Thanks for all the kind words!

I love this pattern, and have made several of these giant grannies. I just made one for my mom, a "Crazy Crayon Afghan," and I put a ruffled edge around it. You can see a picture of it at my 360 blog. I'm currently working on another one in lavender and hot pink.

Archived