Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi check mine granny square afghan on my site I made that out of scraps, and loved making one, it is in afghans not sure what page, made that about two years ago and gave it away.

well, I think I've figured it out...it's not that I don't join evenly - I think the bottoms of my stitches are crocheted tighter than the tops and THAT causes the square to turn!

here's the two I did:

th_A006.jpg

th_AImage011.jpg

Got it. I love these colors! It's it amazing how this afghan can look different with where the color is changed. I've always thought of trying one with every 2 rows different, it sort of gives it a ripple effect or step effect, like your bottom one. I like that look too. That's why on mine the last few rows are 2, well one reason and also so if I run out of a skien, I can get another skien at the store and hope even if it's slightly different color (even though it says the same) it won't be so noticeable.

Debbi

• 3 weeks later...

So I know I'm a little slow at this posting of pics like I promised, but my motto: "better late than never" (i know great right, back in high school when I was a majorette, our band director always stressed "to be early is to be on time" HAHA :lol)

The bride-to-be that recieved this loves it!

The border is just a single crochet all the way around, one round for each of the 4 colors!

FINISHED

th_afghansquared5.jpg

CLOSE-UP

th_afghansquared7.jpg

BORDER DETAIL

th_afghansquared8.jpg

That is beautiful! No wonder the bride loved it. You did a great job.

One color per row? :eek too many ends for me (well maybe). But it looks great that way.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Debbi

Normally I'd agree with the ends but I did them as I went, and let me tell you, it wasn't bad at all. I stitched over the tail a little then finished the round and when switching colors I weaved the tail in the rest of the way.

It was great when finishing it really was finishing it, I didn't have to sit there and do the loose ends after the fact...

Thanks for the complements, I really liked it too, I almost didn't want to give it away...:blush

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi! I'm new here and I've been reading this thread (well I didn't read all of it cuz it's alot of pages) got to the end and noticed that nobody has posted in a while. Is this still going on? I love grannies so I hope it is!

I hope it is. I finished one giant one and gave it to my nephew's son for his first b-day. The colors were seven rows skipper blue then two rows off white. I didn't wrap it. We used it to cover the small round table where they put the gifts on at the party. Everyone loved it and my nil told them Auntie Patty made it and made sure no one took it. My son was just straighting one corner and he got scolded for touching it. But it was in a joking manner.

What colors are you thinking of using?

here's my progress pic! Hopefully this works...

I need to get more yarn, I'm only allowed to buy yarn with coupons and I have 4 50% Michaels coupons that start Sunday so i have to wait until then.

post-38386-135897525827_thumb.jpg

Those colors sounds very nice. I like the claret and it sounds like it'll go really good with the green. Can't remember what Dark Thyme looks like. Can't wait to see what you've done so far. :)

I'm using Red Heart SS Claret and Frosty Green, and TLC Essentials Dark Thyme. I'll try to figure out how to post pics and show you what I have so far!

so i've decided to start...but i am not going to make a afghan...i making curtains...the colors are mulberry mist, dark denim and charcoal...will post pics when the sun is up

Can't wait to see it.:)

so i've decided to start...but i am not going to make a afghan...i making curtains...the colors are mulberry mist, dark denim and charcoal...will post pics when the sun is up

I made on during the ravelry olmpics to try to kill some to my stash. but then people found more yarn and gave it to me. i can't let the yarn be tossed into the trash. so i think i may make a few more until im back to one tote of yarn. i'm at four 30 gallon totes.

:crocheting

http://public.fotki.com/hot419fem/created-in-2010/dsci0510.html

http://public.fotki.com/hot419fem/created-in-2010/dsci0511.htm

That looks nice. I like the colors. Can't wait to see it finished. How many sets are you going to make?

here is the start of my curtains...they are going to be 36 x 26

Can't believe I finally started on this project. I've NEVER made a giant granny and have always wanted to. This one will be for my mother & father in law for Christmas...it's going to fit a king sized bed. I've got another king sized to make by Christmas as well...this one is about 30% done now...I haven't wanted to put it down since the weekend.:crocheting

post-328-135897527672_thumb.jpg

Archived