Do You try patterns without pictures?

A lot of times when I am searching the web, I find patterns for crochet that don't have a picture available. I usually skip to the next one because I don't know if I would like the finished product if I don't have a picture to see first.

How do you feel about this? Would you try a pattern without something to see how it will look?

Let me know.

Linda:manyheart

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I generally skip patterns sans pictures. For me, the picture is generally the most helpful thing of the whole pattern!! Actually, I don't know that I have ever made a pattern that didn't have a picture with it!

I'm right with you on that one. If a pattern I'm looking at doesn't have a picture, I don't even bother reading it. NEXT! :lol

Why would I spend all my time, energy, and not to mention YARN!!! on something that I have absolutely NO idea if I'm going to like or not?

Seems silly to me, but that's just my opinion.

:hook

I skip them too, including the ones with little itty bitty photos that only show just a part of the project. The only pattern I've printed out but haven't had a chance to try yet is the Elegant Evening Shawl. Even though I normally would have skipped that one, Elizabeth and um....that other person whose name slips my mind...both raved about it. Otherwise...NEXT!!!

lol...

Add me to the list. No picture no make. Only things I've ever made without a picture (other than things of my own design) is when I've seen the item, liked it & asked for the pattern. When I get it, I mark it as to who gave it to me, who it was originally made for & what color it was. Just helps me to remeber exactly what it looks like untill I can attach a picture of my own to it.

Normally I do not, BUT, I found a pattern in an old Workbasket magazine that was titled Miniature Christmas Stocking. It sounded fascinating and was a short pattern and I could not resist. It turned out to be a great seller for Christmas. The finished item was about 2 1/2 or 3 inches high. I did add fun fur around the top to make them cuter. Otherwise, I do like to have pictures to see if I am following the pattern correctly.

I agree also. Even though I am an experienced crocheter, I prefer a picture to see what it is supposed to look like, especially if the pattern is more complex. A basic all over stitch (for instance, an afghan) is easy to see as you are doing it, but not something more involved.

No picture, it usually gets passed up.

LI Roe

I agree entirely. (That's why CPC has a have-to-have-a-picture rule. In fact, if you find one where the picture is broken or disappeared, let me know, will you?)

Definitely, one needs to know what the item is sort-of going to look like before they make it.

(And I don't intend to put down pattern designers that publish patterns without pictures! Sometimes it is the best they can do, and not everybody has ready access to a camera.)

I'm with ya ladies. I did however get brave one time. Found a pattern on the internet for an 1800's Ball Gown for a fashion doll. No pic included. Tried to think in terms of a mystery pattern but NOPE. Got the bodice done and that's it. At least there is a Barbie running around here with a halter top!

Yup must agree... many times when looking at items that matched whatever I was looking for, I'll open the file, see the pic, and think, "I don't think so:eek ".... so I'd be very hard-pressed to want to try something that I didn't even know what it looked like... plus i sometimes need the picture as I'm going along so I can know what I'm going for here... if the pattern stops making sense sometimes seeing the finished item will help it click!:yay

Me too, Me too. I have done patterns with no picture but they are always much harder for me to make I think it is just a creative flaw.:think I must see even if it is a cruddy picture the general idea of what it looks like. I am a visual person, I like to see textures and it helps me imagine the item with the yarn I plan on making it with... I visualize the end result.

Well, I am glad I'm not the only one. It is important to see what you are making and to see if it is worth your time, yarn, etc. I am glad to see others feel the same way.

Linda:cheer

Archived