Do You try patterns without pictures?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:yesA Picture is a must for me!!! Sometimes the directions don't make sense, but if I can see the picture, then I can know if I am doing it right. My favorite patterns are from American School of Needlework because they have pictures all through their directions. I actually crocheted socks because of their excellent pictures of the directions all through the pattern. I guess I so visual!!!

I skip it if there are no pictures, although I've been interested in possibly trying one out one day with no picture, just for fun, but I wouldn't know what yarn or colors to pick if I didn't have any idea of the final product. It would have to be a little project, or just a stitch, not a sweater or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely need patterns to have pictures. I won't even attempt one without a pic. I like to see what it looks like first. I find them helpful if i can't figure out something in the pattern.

I guess I'm an almost total oddity on here. Because some of the best patterns I've ever done haven't included a pic. I made one one time simply called a basketweave afghan. In the years since, I've made probably 20 of them as baby blankets, because it's an absolutely fabulous pattern...and makes a perfectly square afghan. If the name of the pattern makes me think...hmmm...I tend to read it through. If it makes sense to me, and I can get an idea in my mind of what it is, I make it. I wouldn't probably do another afghan sight unseen...they take too long. But, I do on a LOT of small stuff. Just me.

Blessed Be.

I tend to want patterns with pictures; like other members have said, I like to see what the finished product looks like... if I really like the looks of something, then I go for it :D

...but, if there's no picture to inspire me... I tend to pass.

I'm right along with all of you...if it doesn't have a picture..it's not for me. Sometimes if I have problems reading the pattern..I can normally look at the picture and figure out what they are telling me to do! :think

So without the pic..it's not for me!

i must have a pic. otherwise i may not chose my colors properly. i mean really, how many times to we use the exact colors a pattern calls for versus suiting the colors to what we want or what would be appropriate for the recipient of the item....

nadine

Well, I am glad I am not the only one. I really need a picture or I won't even bother with it. I want to see what the finished product looks like.

So if you post patterns somewhere, please put a picture of the finished item in it. Thanks.

:manyheart

Well, if I can somehow visualize it in my head, I'll give it a go (ex. an afghan that's a specific stitch throughout the whole thing). If it's something that I have to shape (ex. a sweater), then no.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I also need to see a picture. I need to know if I'm going to like it or not

Who wants to put in time, energy and yarn into something and find out it's not right for them.

Pictures are definately needed.

:manyheart

Pictures are definitely needed. I'm pretty picky about what I make so I have to make sure I'll like the finished product before I'll take the time to make something.

Archived