Do You try patterns without pictures?

Wow! I thought I was the only visual and had to have a picture. I also love to see more than one photo of the object before I am convinced I really want to make it. i.e.- the seraphina shawl I just started.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya know, I was about to agree with everyone on this when it occurred to me that I HAVE done patterns without a picture.. and had excellent results.

I've done Mystery crochet-a-longs, not knowing what I was going to be making.

This is the end product of the latest Mystery CAL I was in (not the whole blanket.. hehe.. just the square)

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28597

I'm the same way. I really need a picture. Not everyone likes the same thing so maybe a shawl you love I would hate and vice versa. I need to see what I'm making and make sure it's something I want to do.

I, too, have been a part of a couple of mystery CAL's and those were fun for many reasons. A)There were a bunch of us doing it all at the same time and B)the person choosing the patterns for it was someone we all trusted and in the end was able to help us if we got stuck.

I think the whole idea of a "mystery pattern" is a different ball of wax altogether!!!! That's the whole idea of it being a "MYSTERY!" :P

But it certainly looks like for the majority of us, if we're out LOOKING for a pattern and we see one without a picture, it's NEXT!!!! :lol

Yes, come to think of it, I have done patterns without pictures for mystery crochet alongs. I think that's different than looking around for a specific thing you need to make.

I agree entirely. (That's why CPC has a have-to-have-a-picture rule. In fact, if you find one where the picture is broken or disappeared, let me know, will you?)

Definitely, one needs to know what the item is sort-of going to look like before they make it.

(And I don't intend to put down pattern designers that publish patterns without pictures! Sometimes it is the best they can do, and not everybody has ready access to a camera.)

I so appreciate you having that rule! It definitely saves me time when I'm browsing to know right away if I want to print and make something :)

I have sometimes tried patterns without pictures. It is kind of fun to see how they will turn out. I only do this if the project is small, or not too complicated. It is sort of like doing a mystery pattern. Have had no disappointments, so far. (There's always a first time!)

You know how sometimes you see a title for a pattern like Stunning Shawl or Adorable Afghan or something like that and you click on the link and gasp in horror :eekat the picture of the not-so-stunning or beautiful monstrosity the pattern will create? Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of ending up with if there's no picture. I'd rather know before I start if it's actually a pattern for a Sloppy Shawl or an Appalling Afghan.:lol

You know how sometimes you see a title for a pattern like Stunning Shawl or Adorable Afghan or something like that and you click on the link and gasp in horror :eekat the picture of the not-so-stunning or beautiful monstrosity the pattern will create? Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of ending up with if there's no picture. I'd rather know before I start if it's actually a pattern for a Sloppy Shawl or an Appalling Afghan.:lol

:rofl :laughrollI thought *I* was the only one who gasped in horror at some of those patterns and photos like that! Lolololololol! I'm sure I've made quite a few monstrosities myself though. :hook

I also skip patterns without a picture. There is only one pattern I have ever made without a true photo (there was a sketch). It was Sandi Marshall's Teddy Bear from about.com. I was so pleasantly surprised at how well my bears have turned out. I say bears, because I have made at least a half dozen in the last year. She has since posted a picture (this month). I have to say, not to be snotty but, my bears turn up so much cuter than the picture she posted. I love this pattern and I'm glad that I attempted it even though it didn't have a picture. Sometimes you get a little surprise.

threebearssmall.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I never try a pattern unless there is a picture available. I don't have enough experience crocheting to read a pattern and understand what it is supposed to look like without a picture. So I need that picture so that I can know if my project is going horribly wrong!

• 1 year later...

Archived