Ugly yarn help

funkyreporter

Question

Okay. Always one to want to try something new ~ and thinking I might being doing something moderately helpful (that I would benefit from) ~ I bought quite a bit of yarn (about $50 worth) from a not-to-be-named source on eBay. It is advertized as 'bleached recycled raw silk yarn' something-or-another. I have owned garments made of raw silk and thought I knew what raw silk was.

Well, well. This stuff is apparently made from what they sweep up off the floor when making other garments in Nepal (they said something to that effect) and the ladies spin it into yarn. So far, so good. So it arrives and I must say this is quite the ugliest yarn I have ever seen. I was going to tea dye it, but it is already the color of uck. It is coarse and gritty, thick and thin, really spun tight so you have to find a way to dangle it literally about every two feet or it starts winding up on itself. I did a swatch about 25 chains long (had to use an N hook, even though parts of it 'skinny-down' to thread size) and then turned it and did a double crochet, chain one, skip a stitch, double crochet thing. It looks suspiciously like a fishnet... and not in a good way. Like a ropey, been dragging behind the boat, got barnacles on it fishnet.

I have quite a bit of this stuff - I think over 1,000 yards, maybe 2,000 - two bags. Any suggestions on what to do with this stuff? It comes with a disclaimer that due to the 'delicate nature of the yarn' (yeah, right) it should not be made into a garment that is to be 'worn roughly'. So an actual fishnet is apparently out of the question.

I will await the pattern suggestions to come flooding in...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As requested, the traveling Yugly itinerary as of page 64, compiled by mommy Shelle!:

Okay, here's the list of Aunties. Please let me know if I've left anyone out. Or if you want to be added to the list.

1. pplcrochets *

2. xmaystarx *

3. melissacrochets *

4. andip470 *

5. tlisley *current home*

6. Kathome

7. sakurasaku

8. Ladycrochets

9. squish52

10. LadyKindred

11. lisaizme

12. uh-oh I forgot to write down the 'ville name, but it's Anna N. (PM me)

13. anu_paradox

14. hischildsindi

• Answers 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been away for a bit.. when did the ******************************************************** stuff start?

I must be in a mood.. bcuz I find it irritating. I wont rant, and I know the Ville is trying to be kid safe.. but good gravy!!

(i've always found the use of @#$#^&%^%$# to stimulate my mind to try to figure out exactly what word they were trying to hide.. It's like a tease.. end of my non-rant, before it grows up into a full fledged flame.. lol)

if you look up the version involving the ugly with only on letter at the front on dictionary.com you will see why it was banned. the same as the acronym of oh my gosh was banned as one of the g words wasnt appropriate. i dont think anyone has a problem with "***" as it is another abbreviation again. ask Amy...

Oh my heavens. Now really! :rolleyes I understand the spirit behind this but I also think that it's going a bit far. Same with the abrieviation for oh my gosh.

Everyone is always so worried about offending someone that it gets taken to the extreme. Oh well - - We can live with it.

Hey - did you hear about Pennsylvania?? Get this - - the schools are trying to BAN the practice of serving CUPCAKES at classroom birthday parties!!! :cake Worried about poor eating habits and obesity. Now really.

OK enough of my ranting. :rant (I think I'm in a bad mood because the Mets lost last night)

How about we just call the little guy The Ug. Ugly - no that's insulting. Ugster. Ugmeister. Ugman.

Wait a minute. :idea Did he put in for a name change? Running from the po-lice?

Okay, everyone, I'm going to explain why the word "f u g" is now being filtered, and all its derivations. (I didn't realize people had come up with so many other words incorporating the "f u g", so for the time being with the testing the limits of our filters, I'm going to have to remove the filter for just "f u g" alone, and filter out "f u g" whenever it appears in any word.)

Remember, we have a forum guideline that all posts in the crochet-content areas of this forum are to be kept to a PG level and that there is to be no cussing. The word "f u g" does NOT qualify as PG-rating: it is an abbreviation of the "f word" and the word ugly. It is widely recognized all over the internet as such. I'm sure we can all agree that the "f word" qualifies as cussing. Therefore, the word "f u g" and any permutation of that qualifies as cussing, which is against our forum guidelines. (Perhaps one day if the use of this word becomes so pervasive that it is no longer associated with the "f word," we can allow its use here. But that day is not here yet. That will come with tim.)

It has just recently become apparent to us how widespread use of this particular word and its permutations has become on this forum, which is why it is now being filtered out. (I'd not really been paying attention to this thread or any others in which the word has been used frequently.)

Now, the admins would really prefer it if we did not have to filter out any words at all. If everybody would abide by the forum guidelines and not cuss and keep the content PG-rated, we wouldn't have to use the filters. However, not everybody does that. (And I realize that with this particular word, since it had been allowed to appear so often, none of you realized that it was going to be considered a problem here. :))

We have filters in place because it dramatically cuts down on the work involved for the admins (mainly me) when people ignore or forget our forum guideline about cussing. If the problem were just a couple of people who consistently ignored the guideline, the problem could be solved by removing those members' ability to post. But that's not the problem.

The problem is that many, many people forget every now and then about the "no cussing" guideline. With over 8,000 members here now, the number of guideline violations becomes overwhelming to deal with. I have to edit each post I personally find to comply with forum guidelines plus send a gentle reminder to the poster if I have the time. However, I can't read each and every post made to this forum.

And this creates another problem. Some people then start to believe that since some violations aren't caught, they are considered okay, and more people start to make that violation, causing even more time involved in editing posts. Or members begin reporting violations to me (which is very much appreciated, by the way). When this occurs, I have to respond to the person reporting the violation, correct the violation, then contact the person who committed the violation with a gentle reminder not to keep doing so. (Most people simply forget they aren't supposed to say certain words here, and are not meaning to cause problems or work for the admins to clean up.)

I hope this explains why we have had to resort to the use of the filters here on the forum. We will be happy to remove the filters if people can start following the no-cussing guideline. :)

Now, this thread needs to get back on topic to your discussion of ugly yarn, ugly things, whatever.

If you have concerns or problems with our use of filters, please address those to me privately via PM or email. Remember, we don't expect you to agree with our desire to keep cuss words off this forum in order to keep it safe for children to view with their parents. But posts are expected to follow our forum guidelines.

How about we just call the little guy The Ug. Ugly - no that's insulting. Ugster. Ugmeister. Ugman.

Wait a minute. :idea Did he put in for a name change? Running from the po-lice?

That wouldn't surprise me one bit! What's he done this time? He even got around to our admin (a midnight visit from F*g to Amy?) to erase his true name references from a public forum!:eek Paulette, we might need all the judicial clout you have to get him out of this one.

I'm glad this post wasn't closed because we WERE cussing all over the place, in a manner of speaking (I didn't even know that there is an alternate interpretation of "five times as ugly"). Well, *** *** **** **** ******* ************ and *************!

No need to try to figure out what I was trying to say. I just entered a bunch of asterisks. :lol

.... - did you hear about Pennsylvania?? Get this - - the schools are trying to BAN the practice of serving CUPCAKES at classroom birthday parties!!! :cake Worried about poor eating habits and obesity. Now really. .....

It's not just in Pennsylvania! Maybe it's contagious, because Maryland (at least our part of it) got hit, too. At our most recent PTA meeting (elem school), they talked about a crackdown on what "eatables" the teachers can give their students. In some of our younger classes, the teachers try to have small snacks to keep the kids on task either because the kids get hungry, or as small rewards (think individual M&M's or something). And I know several teachers who add marbles to a jar for good classroom behavior (full jar = an ice cream party or something) to encourage good behavior. Seems kind of harmless to me. And then there's the second grade end of school project where the kids make their own ice cream (ice and salt in outer bag, cream, vanilla, sugar in inner bag, shake vigorously, add sprinkles, and enjoy!). The county is looking to apply the nutrition guidelines designed for the lunch/breakfast programs to everything consumed at school.

I guess I can understand their point because our kids really do have access to and/or encouragement to eat a ton of junk food everywhere they turn, but this is a bit much. sigh. when did public life get so complicated? :think

how about using his middle name? booger right?
along that line, how 'bout using his initials? BBFman, BBFmeister, BBFster, etc. (his middle name is "Beige")

my dh uses that first word to cuss, and I understand that it is a very strong word in Britain (although not so bad in the US)?

I, too, am glad our thread didn't get shut down, and am somewhat chagrined. :embar I thought I had a better grip on using courteous language, and I did know better. I remember in college a bf who used to say about people he considered "beauty-challenged" that they were so {fill in our favorite ugly yarn basket's last name here} that they could open a branch face. (I'm dating myself, but this was before the "......-challenged" phrase came into vogue.) And he didn't mean five times as ugly, either.:no

I agree with sakurasaku that clearly, our little friend must have decided that we'd bandied his name about in a public forum one time too many, and decided To Take Steps. Paulette, did you have any inkling that he was going to take up a career in espionage? Or <shudder>, has he somehow fallen in with.... Evil Doers?:eek I'd like to think that he is leaning towards the gumshoe route, and not the underworld, but he's a basket of strong will and determination (and yarn), so I guess only time will tell.

Hey at 69 pages worth of posts, y'all must be having an awful lot of fun in this thread! I certainly didn't want to shut all that down on you! Especially since you had no idea we (admins) would start thinking there was a problem with a certain word. :eek

So keep having fun all you want! Just don't use the you-know-what word! LOL

I think Bug is a wonderful name, it's my brother's nickname!

I think Bug or Bugly would be cute! I used to call my sweet daughter - and fellow villager Ah Leah - "my little bug" when she was a baby!

Hey at 69 pages worth of posts, y'all must be having an awful lot of fun in this thread! I certainly didn't want to shut all that down on you! Especially since you had no idea we (admins) would start thinking there was a problem with a certain word. :eek

So keep having fun all you want! Just don't use the you-know-what word! LOL

Amy, thank you for being so kind about this and not shutting us down... I had no idea when I started this post that, 1) I was using a curse worde, or 2) that it would be so popular. It's caused a lot of laughs and enjoyment and it started a really strong friendship between Shelle and me... so I do apologize to the admins, the mods, and any Villagers that took the word at it's, I guess, more common meaning.

And Villagers, let's keep having fun and not give the admins or mods a hard time - the work they do is enormous and time consuming and allows us to have this wonderful place to go to and be able to share our projects, our thoughts, and get or give support as needed. I never thought an internet site could mean so much to me, but Crochetville has become part of my LIFE!!!!

Hey - did you hear about Pennsylvania?? Get this - - the schools are trying to BAN the practice of serving CUPCAKES at classroom birthday parties!!! :cake Worried about poor eating habits and obesity. Now really.

I didn't hear about the cupcake ban, but I HAVE to tell you what the 'brilliant' person-in-charge did at our courthouse (have no idea what her title is)... we have a monthly "birthday acknowledgement" for everyone's birthday that falls that month and she decided that the cake and ice cream wasn't healthy so replaced it with...... CHILI DOGS AND CHIPS AND COOKIES!!!!!!! :no go figure:think

And with that, my Dear Villagers, I'm off to take a shower... I hope y'all don't mind if I leave the asterisks in my siggie... means a lot to me, that little guy!

Amen to that Paulette.:clap :clap :clap

And thanks to the great admins. :ty

Bugly is really really good. Nice "ring" to it. Sounds a wee bit funky. I can just see the old Bugster now............rolling down the street, snickering, gettin' dirty, kickin' up trouble, munching on a found screw or nail along the way. :eek Hey - - what about Funky? After all, it is part of his co-Mom's alias. He could be the Funman. Nah - forget it. Not enough evil there. :lol

Nicely said, Paulette! (and thanks again, Amy! :hugs for all you and your fellow admins do for us!)

Name That Yarn Basket! Hey, what great entries in this neat new contest - it's hard to choose between Bugly and Funky - they're both right on target!

I think "the Funkmeister" has a very appropriate tone to it... However, if someone accidentally drops just one letter (and you know which one I mean...) we could be right back in the dog house with admin!!:eek

Well, I have been busy the past two weeks and I come back to find out that poor Bugly's name has been changed. Is this even his name??? I don't know...he's not talking!!! :think

He did announce last night that he is ready to move on though. Who's next on the list for a visit from the "no name" ugly yarn basket?

We had a great time together with him, although we didn't do near as much as we thought we would. He was a very big help painting the house and unpacking boxes. You can read more about it on my blog. It seems that he has taken a liking to aluminum foil. Word of warning to anyone who wishes a visit from him...Don't Leave Him Alone with Aluminum Foil!!!!

I have only read about 15 pages of this post, including skipping through the middle and end, but it has been absolutely hilarious and I'll eventually have to go back and read it all. Thanks for the laughs!

BTW.. if he hasn't been to Alabama yet, I've got a kitten who says she'd love to play host for a few days!

I have only read about 15 pages of this post, including skipping through the middle and end, but it has been absolutely hilarious and I'll eventually have to go back and read it all. Thanks for the laughs!

BTW.. if he hasn't been to Alabama yet, I've got a kitten who says she'd love to play host for a few days!

Have you NOT gotten to the part about my cat's disappearance???? :eek No Name would LOVE to come see you, but promise you'll protect the kitty.... also the aluminium foil and the remote controls...:devil

Hi Y'all! I've been absent from this thread and had some catching up to do! I vote for Bug - aka Bugly, Bugmeister, Bugster, maybe even Bugaboo (my GS's nickname). I totally agree with Paulette, and I also apologize if anyone was in any way offended. It wasn't our intention at all. This thread has been so much fun, has brought so much laughter and enjoyment to many, and has blessed me with a wonderful friendship with our beloved Paulette! For that I am very grateful. I am extremely thankful to the admins for not closing it! That would be devastating!! :eek Who knew this would become the Saga it is today!?

If my list is correct, melissacrochets is next, right? Someone please set me straight if I'm wrong. Lavelle26, if you'll PM me, I'll get you the address of the next victim....er, host. :devil And if there are any other would-be Aunties who want to be added to the list, PM me and I'll get you written in. I sure hope the aluminum foil got digested okay and everything came out alright. hee hee hee :D

uh, I will change my avatar right away........ :O

Well, I have been busy the past two weeks and I come back to find out that poor Bugly's name has been changed. Is this even his name??? I don't know...he's not talking!!! :think

He did announce last night that he is ready to move on though. Who's next on the list for a visit from the "no name" ugly yarn basket?

We had a great time together with him, although we didn't do near as much as we thought we would. He was a very big help painting the house and unpacking boxes. You can read more about it on my blog. It seems that he has taken a liking to aluminum foil. Word of warning to anyone who wishes a visit from him...Don't Leave Him Alone with Aluminum Foil!!!!

Anna, I love your picture of *ugly (I've been calling him "Pugly" in my mind for some reason, so it'll take me a while to get used to "Bugly") all crumpled up in the armchair. He looks sooooo tired...:lol

(BTW, your daughter looks absolutely adorable watching TV on the floor.)

Here's to our cat-loving (:devil), aluminium-eating, cutest and ugliest yarn basket. :heart

Okay "no name" ugly lovers... how about *drum roll please* Yugly the Ugly Yarn Basket?

What do you think? Yuch + Ugly = Yugly!!!!!:clap It came to me in a dream:devil !

And where is the little trouble-maker anyway?:think

Archived