Ugly yarn help

funkyreporter

Question

Okay. Always one to want to try something new ~ and thinking I might being doing something moderately helpful (that I would benefit from) ~ I bought quite a bit of yarn (about $50 worth) from a not-to-be-named source on eBay. It is advertized as 'bleached recycled raw silk yarn' something-or-another. I have owned garments made of raw silk and thought I knew what raw silk was.

Well, well. This stuff is apparently made from what they sweep up off the floor when making other garments in Nepal (they said something to that effect) and the ladies spin it into yarn. So far, so good. So it arrives and I must say this is quite the ugliest yarn I have ever seen. I was going to tea dye it, but it is already the color of uck. It is coarse and gritty, thick and thin, really spun tight so you have to find a way to dangle it literally about every two feet or it starts winding up on itself. I did a swatch about 25 chains long (had to use an N hook, even though parts of it 'skinny-down' to thread size) and then turned it and did a double crochet, chain one, skip a stitch, double crochet thing. It looks suspiciously like a fishnet... and not in a good way. Like a ropey, been dragging behind the boat, got barnacles on it fishnet.

I have quite a bit of this stuff - I think over 1,000 yards, maybe 2,000 - two bags. Any suggestions on what to do with this stuff? It comes with a disclaimer that due to the 'delicate nature of the yarn' (yeah, right) it should not be made into a garment that is to be 'worn roughly'. So an actual fishnet is apparently out of the question.

I will await the pattern suggestions to come flooding in...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As requested, the traveling Yugly itinerary as of page 64, compiled by mommy Shelle!:

Okay, here's the list of Aunties. Please let me know if I've left anyone out. Or if you want to be added to the list.

1. pplcrochets *

2. xmaystarx *

3. melissacrochets *

4. andip470 *

5. tlisley *current home*

6. Kathome

7. sakurasaku

8. Ladycrochets

9. squish52

10. LadyKindred

11. lisaizme

12. uh-oh I forgot to write down the 'ville name, but it's Anna N. (PM me)

13. anu_paradox

14. hischildsindi

• Answers 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My goodness. Thank you, kind person who pointed this thread out to me. I will avoid the recycled silk yarn at all costs! However, I wonder how many poor, unsuspecting yarnaddicts bought this stuff...and how much of this fabric kudzu is silently spreading in our great nation? I'm afeared!

CJ

I would love to see your yarn collection! That is why I love this board, I love to hear people talk about yarn. I have tons of it too and you can never buy too much of it. I can tell you are a yarn lover because you have even given the ugliest of yarn a good story! I like that......

:yarn Oh, I myself would love to see my yarn collection:lol - it's so tucked and packed and hidden EVERYWHERE that sometimes I think I spend more time looking for yarn that "I'm sure I bought some of that:thinkbut I wonder where I stashed it"... of course my Yugly Yarn never manages to disappear:no . No matter where I look, it's THERE, lurking...

My goodness. Thank you, kind person who pointed this thread out to me. I will avoid the recycled silk yarn at all costs! However, I wonder how many poor, unsuspecting yarnaddicts bought this stuff...and how much of this fabric kudzu is silently spreading in our great nation? I'm afeared!

CJ

:yarn Mind you, I don't want to give a bad name to all recycled silk - I'm sure there's some out there that's very nice... Just this particular recycled silk is so yugly and has that added bonus straw component that really does nothing for it!

I'm really pleased that some of our new members can share in the Yugly saga! Good to see. Also nice to know Yug is traveling again and I'm anxiously awaiting word on his safe arrival to his new auntie and also would love to see some photos when he gets to his new digs! The camera just loves Yug... I don't think he's capable of taking a bad picture:D

Originally posted by funkyreporter

Oh, I myself would love to see my yarn collection:lol - it's so tucked and packed and hidden EVERYWHERE that sometimes I think I spend more time looking for yarn that "I'm sure I bought some of that:thinkbut I wonder where I stashed it"... of course my Yugly Yarn never manages to disappear:no . No matter where I look, it's THERE, lurking...

Um. You still have some? Really? No kidding? Um.

*stage whispers* I'd like to have a look at some of that.

Really. I would. I mean. It's Legendary now. And uh...right. I stayed up all night to teach myself to knit. I can now knit nice, even stitches with WW on 7 needles...but I can't figure out how to purl worth a darn.... Oh. Maybe it's just the sleep dep kicking in...

CJ

... of course my Yugly Yarn never manages to disappear:no . No matter where I look, it's THERE, lurking...

It never disappears because it constantly breeds and has babies, so no matter how much you give away or use up, the stash of Yugly Yarn will never go away. :yes

Ahhhh.... the old clothes basket ploy.... Yeah sounds like he's taking advantage all right. :devil Lying around doing nothing. :sleep Not keeping up with his chores. :out

Spoiled Yuggie. :dreaming

Ahhhh.... the old clothes basket ploy.... Yeah sounds like he's taking advantage all right. :devil Lying around doing nothing. :sleep Not keeping up with his chores. :out

Spoiled Yuggie. :dreaming

What a complete freeloader! Tell Yug to get up and start pulling his weight around the place... :devil

Funky... not sure if you got my pm from a few weeks ago...

I have an idea for you if you still have more left...

Can you guess which one on this page linked below???

http://www.interweavecrochet.com/2006/materials.asp

Hey Happy, I did get your PM and I'm so sorry I forgot to respond back... I had a rough few weeks - up and down - but I'm feeling awl betta (well pretty much better;) ) http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44184

Yes I do have some Yug Yarn for YOU! PM me your addy and I'll try and I'll try and capture it using the usual method (poison dart) and then shove it in a package marked "Hazardous Waste" and send it on its way.

I looked at the patterns to figure out which one you might make with it... the child sweater is OUT - that would be cruelty to children and we don't do that on the 'ville. Definitely not the dress:eek (I have that pattern by the way - when I lose my 40 pounds I'm making that dress! http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44282). The pillow? It'll snag up the upholstery on your couch. Only thing I can think is the sandles...

So I'm curious... :think What's it gonna be?

AND WHERE'S YUGLY????????

AND WHERE'S YUGLY????????

I was reading the Hall of Shame guidelines the other day and thought to myself, "I'm not guilty of any of those." This morning it dawned on me: I STILL HAVE YUGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am planning to get him mailed out this afternoon.

I was looking for something today and I spotted him hiding. I think he's lying in wait for Prissy. I'd better get him mailed before I end up with a missing cat! or in the Hall of Shame :(.

I was reading the Hall of Shame guidelines the other day and thought to myself, "I'm not guilty of any of those." This morning it dawned on me: I STILL HAVE YUGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am planning to get him mailed out this afternoon.

I was looking for something today and I spotted him hiding. I think he's lying in wait for Prissy. I'd better get him mailed before I end up with a missing cat! or in the Hall of Shame :(.

:lol:lol:lol

All I can say about this is:

:laughroll:rofl:sofunny:loco:wlol:lol

and is Yugly still moving around???

I read EVERY entry before I posted... do I win an award? :devil

Yall are just too much. I love it! This is MUCH better than any traveling gnome. I am going to do something I've never done before and subscribe to this thread so I don't miss a thing!

All I can say about this is:

:laughroll:rofl:sofunny:loco:wlol:lol

and is Yugly still moving around???

I read EVERY entry before I posted... do I win an award? :devil

Yall are just too much. I love it! This is MUCH better than any traveling gnome. I am going to do something I've never done before and subscribe to this thread so I don't miss a thing!

You might want to get on the list of Yug's aunties so you can meet him in person! I can't believe you read every single post. :eek You definitely win the number one Yugly fan of the year award in my book.

Where is he going next anyway?

:wbrr:wcold Yug is on his way to FRIGID Connecticut!!! If it doesn't get warmer, I'll need to crochet him a cozy. He can keep my now grounded DD company & help her with her homework. @ mid semester she's got 2 Fs 2 C+ & 1 C. :angry He can help me keep her in line, do your homework or else..... You'll be bringing Yugly to school with you tomorrow.

I can't wait for him to get here:)

You might want to get on the list of Yug's aunties so you can meet him in person! I can't believe you read every single post. :eek You definitely win the number one Yugly fan of the year award in my book.

Where is he going next anyway?

He was kinda born where I live [indiana] so I doubt he'd want to be visiting here. Besides, I don't get out much and I HAVE FOUR CATS! :eek

I'll just live vicariously through these posts, although I do reserve the right to change my mind later. :D

:devil

He was kinda born where I live [indiana] so I doubt he'd want to be visiting here. Besides, I don't get out much and I HAVE FOUR CATS! :eek

I'll just live vicariously through these posts, although I do reserve the right to change my mind later. :D

I still have some yugly yarn crawling around! Would you like to experience it for yourself??? PM me!:devil I think you earned it by reading every thread! Unbelievable! I don't even remember what's in this thread... I think I need to go back and re-read it!:D

I still have some yugly yarn crawling around! Would you like to experience it for yourself??? PM me!:devil I think you earned it by reading every thread! Unbelievable! I don't even remember what's in this thread... I think I need to go back and re-read it!:D

I wish there was a 'Save This Thread to Your Computer' button because I would so be hitting it!

Archived