Ugly yarn help

funkyreporter

Question

Okay. Always one to want to try something new ~ and thinking I might being doing something moderately helpful (that I would benefit from) ~ I bought quite a bit of yarn (about $50 worth) from a not-to-be-named source on eBay. It is advertized as 'bleached recycled raw silk yarn' something-or-another. I have owned garments made of raw silk and thought I knew what raw silk was.

Well, well. This stuff is apparently made from what they sweep up off the floor when making other garments in Nepal (they said something to that effect) and the ladies spin it into yarn. So far, so good. So it arrives and I must say this is quite the ugliest yarn I have ever seen. I was going to tea dye it, but it is already the color of uck. It is coarse and gritty, thick and thin, really spun tight so you have to find a way to dangle it literally about every two feet or it starts winding up on itself. I did a swatch about 25 chains long (had to use an N hook, even though parts of it 'skinny-down' to thread size) and then turned it and did a double crochet, chain one, skip a stitch, double crochet thing. It looks suspiciously like a fishnet... and not in a good way. Like a ropey, been dragging behind the boat, got barnacles on it fishnet.

I have quite a bit of this stuff - I think over 1,000 yards, maybe 2,000 - two bags. Any suggestions on what to do with this stuff? It comes with a disclaimer that due to the 'delicate nature of the yarn' (yeah, right) it should not be made into a garment that is to be 'worn roughly'. So an actual fishnet is apparently out of the question.

I will await the pattern suggestions to come flooding in...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As requested, the traveling Yugly itinerary as of page 64, compiled by mommy Shelle!:

Okay, here's the list of Aunties. Please let me know if I've left anyone out. Or if you want to be added to the list.

1. pplcrochets *

2. xmaystarx *

3. melissacrochets *

4. andip470 *

5. tlisley *current home*

6. Kathome

7. sakurasaku

8. Ladycrochets

9. squish52

10. LadyKindred

11. lisaizme

12. uh-oh I forgot to write down the 'ville name, but it's Anna N. (PM me)

13. anu_paradox

14. hischildsindi

• Answers 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

get some cranberries and boil them to make a beautiful red dye and boil the yarn in that to dye it (i've been meaning to try it, some friends have and the results are beautiful)

as for what to make... just double it over and use two strands instead of one and maybe single or half-double crochet to make it worth using.

as for a pattern... hmmm a lapghan maybe?

First, I will pm'ing Shelle for the next address on Yugly's world tour. He is ready to go. It seems that my Dh and him do not get along. Yugly tends to make a bit much noise next to Dh's ear at night. (can't leave him in any other room though...he messes up the cables to the television or chases the cat around and she is NOT happy about that)

Second, I thought I would let everyone know that I have spoken with Yugly about this new name...and... he says its perfect. He wanted me to mention to Shelle that while Bugly is a great name...its just a tad too babyish for him. He is growing up, you know. He even smiled when I said the new name, Yugly.

So, Yugly will be off to his new host in a matter of a couple of days. He is excited...life is too slow around this house for him. He did enjoy the moving in bit...but after that he got bored. (hence the aluminum balls on the kitchen floor, I am guessing.)

So, Yugly will be off to his new host in a matter of a couple of days. He is excited...life is too slow around this house for him.

I will be telling Petey and Prissy (the cats) this afternoon that Yugly's coming. They'll be so excited!! They've never met a challenge they didn't like.

I will have to hide my instruments, though. I surely don't want the yugmeister to be feasting on all the metal they contain. The next host will have an especially loud visit from the little guy.

I think I'll take him fishin'.......

Whew! Good idea on the instruments. I don't think Yugly'll be too disappointed, though; just tell him that your instruments are waaaay too shiny and pretty to make good snacks. You know he just loves rusty metals!

I can hardly wait to hear the outcome of Petey's and Prissy's encounter with the Yugman. He's getting quite an education in catkind.... :rofl

Do Yuglies like fish? :eek gasp! the hooks! How could I have forgotten? And they're not the crochet kind, either. Do you think he'll notice?

edited: Oh, I do like the Yugly moniker; I think Laverne is right - "Bugly" is a tad juvenile for as sophisticated a world traveler as he is becoming....

Whew! Good idea on the instruments. I don't think Yugly'll be too disappointed, though; just tell him that your instruments are waaaay too shiny and pretty to make good snacks. You know he just loves rusty metals!

some instruments are fairly tarnished. Don't think he can get to the piano strings. But one never knows...

I can hardly wait to hear the outcome of Petey's and Prissy's encounter with the Yugman. He's getting quite an education in catkind.... :rofl
I know Prissy will give him a run for his money. He may come out traumatized after this trip. I'll make sure I make pictures of their adventures.

Do Yuglies like fish? :eek gasp! the hooks! How could I have forgotten? And they're not the crochet kind, either. Do you think he'll notice?
We will soon find out!

I think your shiney instruments are safe with Yugly... it's the rusty things and electronic equipment you really gotta watch... and of course small animals... I'll tell you, the possom population has definitely increased since Yug went on the world tour!!!!!

The most recent encounter has had me down from the internet (meaning the 'ville:eek ) for three days now! And why was the internet down, you ask? Because POSSOMS CHEWED THROUGH THE CABLE! They chewed through my dishwasher hose, ate my Godiva Chocolates that were under my bed (don't ask) and now they ATE MY CABLE WIRE!!!! I don't know whether to try and get rid of the possoms (humage, live traps of course) or just figure out what they like to eat besides wiring and hoses... and chocolate! This is getting ridiculous!

I would have to wonder how they are getting in as well now that your husband had fixed the back door! There has got to be a place in the house that you are forgetting about about that they haven't.

The Humane trap is the wisest thing, I think if you put in something like peanut butter or cat food to draw them in you can catch them. From what I understand just about anything you put in the trap they will eat but I would advise against any more of the Chocolates or your tile. Don't waiste the good stuff on the little darlings.

...... From what I understand just about anything you put in the trap they will eat but I would advise against any more of the Chocolates or your tile. Don't waste the good stuff on the little darlings.
:rofl

eating the cable wire (or your chocolates!:no:hug) isn't a ROFL matter, but I just couldn't resist after picturing a possum, big smile spread across its face, sprawled in the trap with Godiva wrappers littering the floor around it.... He'd go happy, that's for sure.

Paulette, you sure lead an interesting life. or am I the only one here at the 'Ville possum-less?:think:lol

some instruments are fairly tarnished. Don't think he can get to the piano strings. But one never knows...

I know Prissy will give him a run for his money. He may come out traumatized after this trip. I'll make sure I make pictures of their adventures.

We will soon find out!

Hmmmm. Perhaps he'd prefer the piano strings for ear piercings?:D Either way, just be firm and tell him HE CAN'T HAVE THEM. Or put Prissy on guard? somehow, I'm having a hard time imagining hiding something as big as a piano......:think

Hey, this could be a good test of just how far the Yugster will go in pursuit of his favorite delicacies (and disobeying his host's house rules). But if your precautions fell short, I shudder to think of the post we'd see from the Piano Protection Society.:eek or the Yugly Yarn Basket Nutrition Council :lol

I cleared Yugly with the admins

Yuchy and Ugly.... Yugly!!!!!

So if everyone's cool with it, we have Yugly the Ugly yarn basket!!!! Won't he be surprised?

So where is YUG?????

Paulette, you're a genius!! I love the new name. At first I thought the Y was for Yarn. Yukky + Ugly = Yugly!!! Say this "You're so Yugly." Doesn't that sound neat? And when you say it in a loving tone, it sounds like a compliment! BTW, Yug is at Lavelle's getting ready to leave for melissacrochets house in North Carolina. Can't wait to see pics of the little tyke (or Yyke??) when he arrives. I bet he's having so much fun on this world tour. It may never end. We still have Aunties signing up! :manyheart Here's to the Yugmeister! May he reign forever!! :2rock

I'm getting so excited! I know my turn is coming soon!! I so want to take the little guy to the Canadian border, but me and snow and Detroit are NOT a pretty combo... we'll have to see. But I found the BEST sledding hill for this year so maybe we'll go sledding instead! :snow

Hmmmm. Perhaps he'd prefer the piano strings for ear piercings?:D Either way, just be firm and tell him HE CAN'T HAVE THEM. Or put Prissy on guard? somehow, I'm having a hard time imagining hiding something as big as a piano......:think

Hey, this could be a good test of just how far the Yugster will go in pursuit of his favorite delicacies (and disobeying his host's house rules). But if your precautions fell short, I shudder to think of the post we'd see from the Piano Protection Society.:eek or the Yugly Yarn Basket Nutrition Council :lol

Hey -The piano is Prissy's favorite spot. It's one of her favorite hiding places. Prissy is willing to fight for her territory. This may be an extremely interesting visit. A new video series: "Yugly man: Cats on guard."

Back from Cancun and I'm so sorry that the Yugger missed it. :( Most of all he would have loved the busses. Down there it costs 6 pesos (about 60 cents) to go anywhere. He could have ridden the bus all day and would have been in 7th heaven. EVERYTHING on the bus is metal with the exception of the plastic seats. Sounds live a Yugmeister heaven! :fame

He also would have been quite the celebrity at Margaritaville!:party:2rock

Oh well, maybe in the spring.

I brought back some peso coins for him to munch on when he comes to visit me in NJ. Give the little guy a hug :hug from his Auntie Karen.

Hey -The piano is Prissy's favorite spot. It's one of her favorite hiding places. Prissy is willing to fight for her territory. This may be an extremely interesting visit. A new video series: "Yugly man: Cats on guard."
Whew! That's a relief - I know I wouldn't dare mess with a Feline's Favorite Place. The Piano Protection Society will be so relieved! :lol

Sorry about the yarn. I could have been you if someone had not warned me to stay away for that awful silk stuff. :) I have bought alot of yarn on ebay and only been unhappy a couple times. The way i have it figured I better live till I am 150 if I plan on using my my stash.;) Happy hooking everyone

still watching for Yugly.

projects%20003.jpg <--that's Prissy anticipating his arrival.

Oh, yeah! The Yugmeister has definitely met his match!:yes Prissy does not look like she takes guff off of anyone. Or perhaps she was hungry and wanted to know why you were fooling around with a camera and not a can opener?:lol Or is she daring you to try and wear that scarf?

sigh. I miss my furbaby..... Prissy sure looks soft....

Oh, yeah! The Yugmeister has definitely met his match!:yes Prissy does not look like she takes guff off of anyone. Or perhaps she was hungry and wanted to know why you were fooling around with a camera and not a can opener?:lol Or is she daring you to try and wear that scarf?

sigh. I miss my furbaby..... Prissy sure looks soft....

She's just a camera hog. she's in the picture everytime I pick up the camera in her presence.

She is a softy. She likes to nap with me. (Petey stays 3 feet away and gives me love eyes...or he stands guard.) Don't you love Prissy's eyes. She's very feminine in appearance. Yugly will either fall in love or deal with her scorn!

Yugly has left the building!!! He is currently somewhere in a postal truck on his way to Melissacrochets to meet Prissy and Petey. (Watch out...I caught a glimpse of a gleam in his eye.)

Archived