Ugly yarn help

funkyreporter

Question

Okay. Always one to want to try something new ~ and thinking I might being doing something moderately helpful (that I would benefit from) ~ I bought quite a bit of yarn (about $50 worth) from a not-to-be-named source on eBay. It is advertized as 'bleached recycled raw silk yarn' something-or-another. I have owned garments made of raw silk and thought I knew what raw silk was.

Well, well. This stuff is apparently made from what they sweep up off the floor when making other garments in Nepal (they said something to that effect) and the ladies spin it into yarn. So far, so good. So it arrives and I must say this is quite the ugliest yarn I have ever seen. I was going to tea dye it, but it is already the color of uck. It is coarse and gritty, thick and thin, really spun tight so you have to find a way to dangle it literally about every two feet or it starts winding up on itself. I did a swatch about 25 chains long (had to use an N hook, even though parts of it 'skinny-down' to thread size) and then turned it and did a double crochet, chain one, skip a stitch, double crochet thing. It looks suspiciously like a fishnet... and not in a good way. Like a ropey, been dragging behind the boat, got barnacles on it fishnet.

I have quite a bit of this stuff - I think over 1,000 yards, maybe 2,000 - two bags. Any suggestions on what to do with this stuff? It comes with a disclaimer that due to the 'delicate nature of the yarn' (yeah, right) it should not be made into a garment that is to be 'worn roughly'. So an actual fishnet is apparently out of the question.

I will await the pattern suggestions to come flooding in...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As requested, the traveling Yugly itinerary as of page 64, compiled by mommy Shelle!:

Okay, here's the list of Aunties. Please let me know if I've left anyone out. Or if you want to be added to the list.

1. pplcrochets *

2. xmaystarx *

3. melissacrochets *

4. andip470 *

5. tlisley *current home*

6. Kathome

7. sakurasaku

8. Ladycrochets

9. squish52

10. LadyKindred

11. lisaizme

12. uh-oh I forgot to write down the 'ville name, but it's Anna N. (PM me)

13. anu_paradox

14. hischildsindi

• Answers 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The blanket (also called a saddle pad) is to protect the saddle from the horse's sweat, and to protect the horse's skin from being irritated by the leather. So, seeing as this fugly yarn is lumpy, bumpy and scratchy from all description, it has no future as a saddle blanket!

ALTHOUGH, there is a sort of horse covering, called a cooler, which is made of a meshy, fishnetty type fabric. It is placed over the horse when he is sweaty, to prevent him from getting a chill while he cools off. You'd probably need more than 1,00 yards to cover a horse though.

What is interesting to me about the Fugly Yarn, is that whenever I've seen recycled sari silk on eBay, its been a mix of bright jewel tones (crimson, bright blues, etc.) -- so while I'm sure its equally hard to work with, at least its pretty!!

Well thank you for the newfound knowledge of what the horse blankie is for; actually makes sense. No, I wouldn't subject a horse to a fugly yarn blanket all bumpy and such.

Funny you mention a horse cover, 'cause I briefly entertained the idea of making a car cover or perhaps floormats for my husband's truck... still not out of the question.

and yes, you are correct in the jewel-toned yarns being the more available recycled yarn... in my infinite wisdom and creativity I passed up the jewel-tone for the bleached thinking I would tea-dye the stuff... of course that dream was quickly shattered... depending on what (if anything) I do with this stuff (besides torchering Shelle with a skein of it - HA HA, SHELLE) I may indeed dye it...

actually just got back from Michael's ~woo-hoo~ and the farmer's market so I'm gonna check the yarn trap and see if it has crawled out yet... and try to find the cat...

. I saw in a movie once where they were putting a blanket on the horse under the saddle (to keep him warm, maybe?)

The blanket (also called a saddle pad) is to protect the saddle from the horse's sweat, and to protect the horse's skin from being irritated by the leather. So, seeing as this fugly yarn is lumpy, bumpy and scratchy from all description, it has no future as a saddle blanket!

ALTHOUGH, there is a sort of horse covering, called a cooler, which is made of a meshy, fishnetty type fabric. It is placed over the horse when he is sweaty, to prevent him from getting a chill while he cools off. You'd probably need more than 1,00 yards to cover a horse though.

What is interesting to me about the Fugly Yarn, is that whenever I've seen recycled sari silk on eBay, its been a mix of bright jewel tones (crimson, bright blues, etc.) -- so while I'm sure its equally hard to work with, at least its pretty!!

Paulette, you crack me up!! Please keep the fugliness to yourself, I will donate any summer scarf I get made from this yarn to the auction! :devil I don't have any suggestions for you as to what to do with it. But if you make lots of money off the art please remember your summer scarf partner!

I can't wait to see this fugly yarn! The suspense is building. I had a dream about it last night - a nightmare really! JK!! BTW, Paulette, do you have something against horses? :eek (post #16) What did Mr. Ed ever do to you?! :devil You are one delightful gal Paulette - you always make me laugh. Like I told you, when life hands you lemons, you make lemonade! :hug

p.s. I really like the weave a wall hanging suggestion. You could crochet one instead if you don't have a loom, and add all the fugly bits and pieces you can find. Hey everybody, let's send Paulette bits of yarn that are gross colors/textures, and she can make a work of fugly art, and maybe she'd want to give it to the auction or whatever.... It might even make the "What Not to Crochet" list!! :lol

Well hardy-har-har. Very funny. Everybody get out there and sweep the barn and send Paulette the remnants. HA. Let's see how hard you're all laughing when I have my GALLERY opening and sell this crap as art for like $10,000 a pop.

And HELLO. I am from California - I have never been in the presence of a horse. I did have an allergy screening done once and found out I am allergic to them... I saw in a movie once where they were putting a blanket on the horse under the saddle (to keep him warm, maybe?) I dunno. But you're right. Please don't call PETA on me because I will deny deny deny.

I thought of something funny... The e-mails went out yesterday for the Summer Scarf Swap... I hope my swap partner doesn't see THIS thread and move with no forwarding address in fear that I'm gonna send my Fugly yarn disguised as a scarf.

Okay. I need to go coax this stuff out from under the couch... maybe I'll put a little snack under a box propped up with a stick and wait for it to crawl out and then WAP, got it... I haven't seen the cat this morning... hmmm? By the way, anybody seen this site? http://www.stuffonmycat.com/

So, Shelle, put on your Haz-Mat suit and watch your mailbox....

I can't wait to see this fugly yarn! The suspense is building. I had a dream about it last night - a nightmare really! JK!! BTW, Paulette, do you have something against horses? :eek (post #16) What did Mr. Ed ever do to you?! :devil You are one delightful gal Paulette - you always make me laugh. Like I told you, when life hands you lemons, you make lemonade! :hug

p.s. I really like the weave a wall hanging suggestion. You could crochet one instead if you don't have a loom, and add all the fugly bits and pieces you can find. Hey everybody, let's send Paulette bits of yarn that are gross colors/textures, and she can make a work of fugly art, and maybe she'd want to give it to the auction or whatever.... It might even make the "What Not to Crochet" list!! :lol

Nope, I'd love to see a picture too, unless it would scare me. :eek:lol

Paulette, I'm glad you have such a sense of humor. I love the idea of re-Ebaying it as "fugly yarn." Sit back and watch the bidding begin. :lol

I've been watching this thread and not posting (the main reason being that I didn't have any bright ideas, or any ideas at all about the use of the said yarn), but Paulette, you do make me laugh out loud with your writing.

Am I the only one who would like to see a picture of this stuff?;)

FOR SALE: Silk, suitable for a nursery rug: guaranteed not to show spit up, drool, poop, puke or pee stains. Will not show anything the cat drags in, or the dog recycles upon it.

Ah, you've seen this yarn then? Nursery rug would be good... might chaffe...

I was thinking it would make a good blankie - like the kind they put on a horse before they put the saddle on... or perhaps it could be a rug in a service porch that you rub your boots on to get the mud off...

I was examining it a little closer and I'd swear it tried to bite me... I know it growled... right now it has the cat cornered under the couch, but I've really had it, so they're gonna have to work it out on their own.

I e-mailed briefly with Shelle, she being a published designer and all, I threatened to send her a skein to see what her professional opinion would be(did I mention it came in 20 individual skeins for maximum irritation *it's ruff and your fingers get chaffed, ugly color and tangly, but at least you get to reattach it every few yards*)

:think The very best thing you can do with yarn like this, is find someone with a weaving loom and using a plain cotton for the warp, have some table covers woven.

:think Very often yarn which looks ugly, is nicer woven because you are not handling it so much and the un-eveness of it is a good thing. If you choose a contrast colour for the warp it could come out very nice.

:think The very first spinning I did was so un-even I nearly biffed it out but with the help of a friend who did weaving, it turned into a very un-ususal wall hanging.

:think Just a suggestion.

:think I guess you will not make the same mistake again in a hurry.

All the best.

Colleen:hug

OHMYGAWSH... I think you're right! All signs are pointing towards selling stuff on eBay... especially the fact that I have such a ridiculous compulsion to collect crochet patterns and books that I have duplicates (and triplicates) of some nice ones... my husband (bless his heart) will buy a 'new' book not knowing I have a copy stashed under the seat in my truck... (who? me?)

*"Hi. My name is Paulette and I'm a Crochet-aholic." Everybody say: "Hi, Paulette."*

This stuff is really butt-ugly (can I say that on here?) Bleep me if you must, but, yeah, I can see the listing now: "Really ugly yarn. Bumpy and rough. Hideous Color. 1,000 Yards. Opening bid $40" And I'll watch the bidding war begin. People will think: Now this must be pretty special. I gotta get this stuff. It has a nasty texture but at least the colors stinks."

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl You're in the wrong profession - you shoulda been a comedian!!

Well, my dear friend Paulette, I just got in on this thread, and as I read your post (:lol between giggles - you have such a clever way of putting things!:lol ) I was thinking - purse or rug.... but I see others have already suggested that. That's the best I can come up with. Also, the pairing of it with say, RH Super Saver in Linen - might make a really cool looking rug. I would not want to make a shawl or pillows out of it because of the scratch factor. I bought some re-cycled silk on E-bay a couple yrs. ago, and it's beautiful colors - mostly reds & bright colors, but it too is so tightly wound that it's very difficult to crochet with. It keeps winding up on itself. I started making a Pow-wow Shawl, but got discouraged with it & went on to better things. I might eventually finish it. The colors are beautiful, but it's not the softest shawl in the world. It's not too scratchy, but not as soft as I thought "silk" would be. I wonder how it would do if you paired it with a wool yarn, and made a felted bag with it?? :think Might be interesting. Well, good luck, and thanks for the chuckle. Now, you know I'm laughing with you, not at you.:devil

OHMYGAWSH... I think you're right! All signs are pointing towards selling stuff on eBay... especially the fact that I have such a ridiculous compulsion to collect crochet patterns and books that I have duplicates (and triplicates) of some nice ones... my husband (bless his heart) will buy a 'new' book not knowing I have a copy stashed under the seat in my truck... (who? me?)

*"Hi. My name is Paulette and I'm a Crochet-aholic." Everybody say: "Hi, Paulette."*

This stuff is really butt-ugly (can I say that on here?) Bleep me if you must, but, yeah, I can see the listing now: "Really ugly yarn. Bumpy and rough. Hideous Color. 1,000 Yards. Opening bid $40" And I'll watch the bidding war begin. People will think: Now this must be pretty special. I gotta get this stuff. It has a nasty texture but at least the colors stinks."

you guys are SMART! First, it didn't even occur to me to pair it up with another yarn (big duh on my part) to help 'even out' the stuff, and I LIKE the idea of the rug... "yes, I have wads of $$ to throw around. We walk on silk rugs. We exfoliate with silk, um, exfoliating thingies. My bag? OH, silk, of course."

And, uh, no, I won't be recommending this stuff to anyone. I'm not faulting the seller - they described it... not the way I described it, but I can't say that it was misrepresented... they just didn't mention it was so yucky. And to do anything with it I'll have to roll it into balls which is excruciating because of the tornado-strength twist, and truly makes me wonder why...

I have SO MUCH YARN - nice beautiful alpaca, lovely Sugar & Cream cotton on cones, piles of microspun (which I adore, though I know many feel otherwise) Wool-ease and specialty hand-dyed yarns... lovely moda dea dream... why should I waste my valuable time with this stuff...

but I feel so bad. I can just see these Nepal women picking up these scraps and winding it for probably 8 cents a day or something... I dunno.

I'll pair it with some SuperSaver and make a rug. And an exfoliating thingie...

Thanks, guys

:rofl :rofl :rofl Oh I'm sorry...I guess I should commiserate but your post was just so funny!:blush Since the fishnet idea is out, I'd suggest pairing it with a sturdier yarn and trying some sofa pillows or a bag. Perhaps the good yarn will enhance the bad yarn:goodorbad enough to get a satisfactory result. I'd love to see what you come up with!:)

I was going to suggest a bag myself but a friend of mine tried it an it just fell apart so she decided never to buy it again. So unless you make something you can use a latch hook with i cant really help sorry.

Archived