Ugly yarn help

funkyreporter

Question

Okay. Always one to want to try something new ~ and thinking I might being doing something moderately helpful (that I would benefit from) ~ I bought quite a bit of yarn (about $50 worth) from a not-to-be-named source on eBay. It is advertized as 'bleached recycled raw silk yarn' something-or-another. I have owned garments made of raw silk and thought I knew what raw silk was.

Well, well. This stuff is apparently made from what they sweep up off the floor when making other garments in Nepal (they said something to that effect) and the ladies spin it into yarn. So far, so good. So it arrives and I must say this is quite the ugliest yarn I have ever seen. I was going to tea dye it, but it is already the color of uck. It is coarse and gritty, thick and thin, really spun tight so you have to find a way to dangle it literally about every two feet or it starts winding up on itself. I did a swatch about 25 chains long (had to use an N hook, even though parts of it 'skinny-down' to thread size) and then turned it and did a double crochet, chain one, skip a stitch, double crochet thing. It looks suspiciously like a fishnet... and not in a good way. Like a ropey, been dragging behind the boat, got barnacles on it fishnet.

I have quite a bit of this stuff - I think over 1,000 yards, maybe 2,000 - two bags. Any suggestions on what to do with this stuff? It comes with a disclaimer that due to the 'delicate nature of the yarn' (yeah, right) it should not be made into a garment that is to be 'worn roughly'. So an actual fishnet is apparently out of the question.

I will await the pattern suggestions to come flooding in...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As requested, the traveling Yugly itinerary as of page 64, compiled by mommy Shelle!:

Okay, here's the list of Aunties. Please let me know if I've left anyone out. Or if you want to be added to the list.

1. pplcrochets *

2. xmaystarx *

3. melissacrochets *

4. andip470 *

5. tlisley *current home*

6. Kathome

7. sakurasaku

8. Ladycrochets

9. squish52

10. LadyKindred

11. lisaizme

12. uh-oh I forgot to write down the 'ville name, but it's Anna N. (PM me)

13. anu_paradox

14. hischildsindi

• Answers 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad to see post going again as I also have read everyone and was having withdrawals when there was no new postings for a little while. This post got me through a long two weeks when I was not in the truck.

Thanks and keep it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yug has arrived safely. He's settling in, segregated from the dogs, cats & bunnies at the moment. We'll have a play session tomorrow.
I recently found a couple of yugly treats lying around. I may be forwarding them on to you this week. I'll bet he was starving when he got there. Good think the animals were separated.

paulette, can you post a picture of the yarn, maybe of the swatch that you made, I would like to see it so that I know that i know what to stay away from. I agree with reselling it on ebay and list it as an ugly yarn, I did that once with fabric and got 4 time what I would have gotten if I sugar coated it.

Annastasia

Not sure that Yug celebrates Easter but I'll just be he is one great egg hunter!!!!!! :devil I can just see him now, scrounging around in the yard, under bushes, digging holes in the lawn................. just to win a prize of a nice rusty bolt. :h5

I think Yug would ROCK at an Easter egg hunt! Love to see some pictures... I think he'd be especially happy if he found a "missed" egg from year's past... ;)

I don't want to be there if he gets 'egg farts'. :yuck

:devil

Yug is alive & well in chilly CT. He's been riding the quad & golf cart with the DDs & their friends. (Way too cold for me) He's spent some time in the shed, snacking on the odd pieces of metal to be found there. He'll go to the in-laws for dinner tomorrow & will surely join in the egg hunt. The eggs are plastic & full of candy. Last year the chocolate melted, because it was so warm. This year is the opposite, Winter has asserted itself here again, the hunt may be inside since it's so cold outside. We'll have a photo shoot today with all of the fur babies & DDs and dinner tomorrow. He should be packed up & ready to travel on Wednesday. Where is his next stop?

Yug is alive & well in chilly CT. He's been riding the quad & golf cart with the DDs & their friends. (Way too cold for me) He's spent some time in the shed, snacking on the odd pieces of metal to be found there. He'll go to the in-laws for dinner tomorrow & will surely join in the egg hunt. The eggs are plastic & full of candy. Last year the chocolate melted, because it was so warm. This year is the opposite, Winter has asserted itself here again, the hunt may be inside since it's so cold outside. We'll have a photo shoot today with all of the fur babies & DDs and dinner tomorrow. He should be packed up & ready to travel on Wednesday. Where is his next stop?

I have been seeing A LOT of woodchucks lately on the roadside when driving, and I was reminded of our dear Yugly.

I think he is at andip470's (see quote), unless someone let her know where he was going next.

I just looked through every page in this thread (yes, I'm crazy like that) to find "the list". There was one each on page 27, 36, 52, and 63 (I did mean EVERY PAGE), so the list on page 63 is the most updated as far as I could tell. The next person is....drum roll please....tlisley!

Paulette, can we maybe put that list on the first page? Or start a new thread titled "Travelling Yugly" or something? Otherwise, I am going to put a word like "paramecium" in this post so I can search for it easily later. :D

Paulette, can we maybe put that list on the first page? Or start a new thread titled "Travelling Yugly" or something? Otherwise, I am going to put a word like "paramecium" in this post so I can search for it easily later. :D

Okie-dokey then. Consider it done! The auntie list from page 63 is now in purple on the first page of the Yugly yarn saga... God forbid we have to figure out a word like paramecium... but allow me to take a guess and use it in a sentence.

Here goes: I got a paramecium new shoes and got a blister on my big toe!

I've enjoyed a few batches of the UNBLEACHED (crazy color combos though...really!) and it's worked up lovely for tiny purses. (wristlet things...again, a pattern I should write up...) Though IMHO there is a lot of variety in the quality of the spinning from batch to batch.

IMHO bleach is kinda a harsh treatment for silk, and may explain at least a part of it's ickiness.

One of the things done with this Nepal yarn is that the sweepings are given/sold to spinners, so the quality varies by the SPINNER, and the source (some spinner agencies only buy things that are well made, and others don't...) And for Nepal they actually make a decent living, these women usually have a family to support and no man, or a man who can't work... So this is often one of the items we see labled "Fair Trade".

Though the seller probably, easily made about $20 or more on the deal... provided THEY didn't buy it from someone for $40 or more, and then not know what to do with it....

How about macrame'? :)

Oh I have a lot of catching up on this thread.... I didn't realize it was so incredibly long....

Yug is cute! but I'm not up to joining the project just now... (I held on to a travelling book project for nearly a year before doing my part and sending it on.... not a good thing!)

Have you thourght of using solomens knot / love knot technique with the yarn. i have a pattern for a curtain in an old seventies book which is v stitches and love knots that you crochet downwards with the yarn initally attached to curtain rings, its an interesting book! anyho the thing that struck me as useful was that they have just kept changing hook size to suit the yarn, giving a pleasingly uneven effect. I tend to impluse buy from charity shops and then work out what to do with the yarn, so can sympathiase. One thin i have found when combining threads of different thicknesses is that puff stitches are a pain in the **** to do as i end up only picking up one of the threads and it makes for a much calmer household if i choose a pattern where i am working into the space/ chain than individual stiches.

good luck with the monster yarn

Here goes: I got a paramecium new shoes and got a blister on my big toe!

Oh my gosh, that's just AWFUL! The husband, my brother, and I all love horrible puns, but dang if that doesn't take the cake of the week award!

~ Joy

:hug :hug :hug Paulette :flower Shelle :hug :hug :hug

Thank You doesn't even begin to cover it...y'all rock!

I have spent the last six or seven hours laughing out loud, crying and getting to know you all just a lil bit better. I LOVE An Leah's spirit (which she obviousley gets from Mom) and the creativity of everyone who's helped make Yug's extended friends & family. I am completely enthralled with Yugmeister (I always did go for those rebel without a cause-bad boy types). Comming into this thread over a year later I was a little saddened to miss some of those original picture links but the promise of travel pics just kept me going. My DH & DD says "it's sooo ugly it's cute"...we're hooked :hook Just one question though...does this thread count as one of my 50 Books? A true page turner from post #1 (I just so happen to have $.17 handy)....Mahalo Nui Loa!!!

Archived