Ugly yarn help

funkyreporter

Question

Okay. Always one to want to try something new ~ and thinking I might being doing something moderately helpful (that I would benefit from) ~ I bought quite a bit of yarn (about $50 worth) from a not-to-be-named source on eBay. It is advertized as 'bleached recycled raw silk yarn' something-or-another. I have owned garments made of raw silk and thought I knew what raw silk was.

Well, well. This stuff is apparently made from what they sweep up off the floor when making other garments in Nepal (they said something to that effect) and the ladies spin it into yarn. So far, so good. So it arrives and I must say this is quite the ugliest yarn I have ever seen. I was going to tea dye it, but it is already the color of uck. It is coarse and gritty, thick and thin, really spun tight so you have to find a way to dangle it literally about every two feet or it starts winding up on itself. I did a swatch about 25 chains long (had to use an N hook, even though parts of it 'skinny-down' to thread size) and then turned it and did a double crochet, chain one, skip a stitch, double crochet thing. It looks suspiciously like a fishnet... and not in a good way. Like a ropey, been dragging behind the boat, got barnacles on it fishnet.

I have quite a bit of this stuff - I think over 1,000 yards, maybe 2,000 - two bags. Any suggestions on what to do with this stuff? It comes with a disclaimer that due to the 'delicate nature of the yarn' (yeah, right) it should not be made into a garment that is to be 'worn roughly'. So an actual fishnet is apparently out of the question.

I will await the pattern suggestions to come flooding in...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As requested, the traveling Yugly itinerary as of page 64, compiled by mommy Shelle!:

Okay, here's the list of Aunties. Please let me know if I've left anyone out. Or if you want to be added to the list.

1. pplcrochets *

2. xmaystarx *

3. melissacrochets *

4. andip470 *

5. tlisley *current home*

6. Kathome

7. sakurasaku

8. Ladycrochets

9. squish52

10. LadyKindred

11. lisaizme

12. uh-oh I forgot to write down the 'ville name, but it's Anna N. (PM me)

13. anu_paradox

14. hischildsindi

• Answers 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, nice to know the Yugster is happily being batted around the room by your kitty! Guess she's asserting that this is HER space!:lol Can't wait to see some pictures!

I was doing some MAJOR cleaning today and when I moved the couch I found the rest of the yugly yarn nesting in a dark corner... hmmm... there may be a little yuglette in the future:eek

What a hoot!!!!:rofl

Just make sure that you don't trust old Yug. Animals have instincts that humble humans do not. If the kitties are running there just might be a good reason for it!!!!!:eek

What are you planning to serve the Yugmeister for Thanksgiving? :pilgrim This is his very first!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awww.....ain't that cute.

What a hoot!!!!:rofl

Just make sure that you don't trust old Yug. Animals have instincts that humble humans do not. If the kitties are running there just might be a good reason for it!!!!!:eek

What are you planning to serve the Yugmeister for Thanksgiving? :pilgrim This is his very first!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awww.....ain't that cute.

I will definitely take him to my family's gathering. He might even help me cook!:eek

Yugly DOES like to cook...he helped us quite a bit when he was here. Just don't leave him alone with the aluminum foil...or the kitchen knives. :eek

yugly 001.jpg Petey showing his indifference to the newlly arrived Yugly man.

yugly 002.jpg Prissy just before she dragged him around the dining room.

yugly 003.jpgHere's Yugly just after he gained advantage over Prissy on the stairs.

I tried to convince her that he was just a harmless yarn basket and not to jump to her demise. She ran down the stairs instead.

yugly 004.jpgThanksgiving Day 2006. Here's Yugly wondering why I put green beans in his Thanksgiving dinner.

yugly 005.jpgYugly got the camera and took a picture of my brother picking his nose! LOL

yugly 006.jpg

Yugly eyeing the turkey pan.

yugly 009.jpgListening to his favorite kind of music: Heavy Metal! LOL

yugly 010.jpg

He tried to call Shelle and Paulette but he didn't have the fingers to dial the phone.

Wow! He's really learned some manners since I last saw him! Trying to make a phone call, eyeing the turkey, and even using the camera to catch an unsuspecting nose picker! Ah, makes a mother so proud!!!!!!

He's looking very healthy and well fed - and I'm glad he Listened to the Ipod instead of eating it like he did the last three!:devil

... and even using the camera to catch an unsuspecting nose picker! Ah, makes a mother so proud!!!!!!

I thought he was eyeing my keys at first but he was too busy giggling at the bro. My brother would have a fit if he knew that picture was on the internet for the whole world to see. Yugly insisted...I'm more afraid of him than I am of my brother!

Try poking him with a stick! Or play catch with him (let him be the ball) or maybe you're kitties will want to play "fetch the Yug-man"... :devil Some poeple (and Yugs) get melancoly over the holidays... Maybe he just wants a big hug... and to sleep in your bed and cuddle!:hug

CALLING YUGLY!HELLO YUGLY!!YUGLY, PHONE HOME!!!!Got some interesting stuff going on and would like to hear from Yugly, maybe seee an update picture and find out who his current host auntie is!Love,Mommy Paulette

Whoo Hoo!!! I'm really looking forward to his visit. When we first started to plan this tour it was summer & my plan was to take Yug camping with the family. We do camp in winter occasionally but I don't think it's as much fun as warm weather camping. Too cold for quad & golf cart rides. Iam am happy to come up with alternate outings, we can have a bring your yug to work day. I'm sure that he has excellent telephne skills & can pitch in when we're busy @ the bank call center. He can visit the local high school, where my DH works & watch both DDs play basketball.

Alternately, I'm willing to pospone his visit if someone else has something more exciting planned, maybe a ski vacatio or tropical getaway. The purpose of the tour is for Yug to see the world & I don't want to deprive him of any wonderful experiences. Our winter life is kinda boring 'cuz I hate the cold & we do live in New England;)

So fellow Aunties, if you have something special planned soon & want to take the Yugmeister with you, let me know & I'll ask mama Shelle to bump you up the list in my place.

I would love to see your yarn collection! That is why I love this board, I love to hear people talk about yarn. I have tons of it too and you can never buy too much of it. I can tell you are a yarn lover because you have even given the ugliest of yarn a good story! I like that......

Archived