Ugly yarn help

funkyreporter

Question

Okay. Always one to want to try something new ~ and thinking I might being doing something moderately helpful (that I would benefit from) ~ I bought quite a bit of yarn (about $50 worth) from a not-to-be-named source on eBay. It is advertized as 'bleached recycled raw silk yarn' something-or-another. I have owned garments made of raw silk and thought I knew what raw silk was.

Well, well. This stuff is apparently made from what they sweep up off the floor when making other garments in Nepal (they said something to that effect) and the ladies spin it into yarn. So far, so good. So it arrives and I must say this is quite the ugliest yarn I have ever seen. I was going to tea dye it, but it is already the color of uck. It is coarse and gritty, thick and thin, really spun tight so you have to find a way to dangle it literally about every two feet or it starts winding up on itself. I did a swatch about 25 chains long (had to use an N hook, even though parts of it 'skinny-down' to thread size) and then turned it and did a double crochet, chain one, skip a stitch, double crochet thing. It looks suspiciously like a fishnet... and not in a good way. Like a ropey, been dragging behind the boat, got barnacles on it fishnet.

I have quite a bit of this stuff - I think over 1,000 yards, maybe 2,000 - two bags. Any suggestions on what to do with this stuff? It comes with a disclaimer that due to the 'delicate nature of the yarn' (yeah, right) it should not be made into a garment that is to be 'worn roughly'. So an actual fishnet is apparently out of the question.

I will await the pattern suggestions to come flooding in...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As requested, the traveling Yugly itinerary as of page 64, compiled by mommy Shelle!:

Okay, here's the list of Aunties. Please let me know if I've left anyone out. Or if you want to be added to the list.

1. pplcrochets *

2. xmaystarx *

3. melissacrochets *

4. andip470 *

5. tlisley *current home*

6. Kathome

7. sakurasaku

8. Ladycrochets

9. squish52

10. LadyKindred

11. lisaizme

12. uh-oh I forgot to write down the 'ville name, but it's Anna N. (PM me)

13. anu_paradox

14. hischildsindi

• Answers 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:clap Yeah, yeah, yeah.. it does make my day, day, day... and night. :clap

Oh, I think I've got "it" bad. :manyheart I took a few minutes and started to crochet a scarf for Fug, as perhaps by the time he gets to visit Iowa, it may be getting a bit chilly. I decided funky nearly neon green wool (hand-me-downs from a friends grandma who passed away) and some jungle jive disco (you know that free yarn all was enthused to have until it started arriving ;) ). I hope it felts funky and fugly for Fug, he only deserves the best! :hug

how bout as placemats? i bet it would look like something from pier 1. you could even embroider it w/ prettier colors.

That's very sweet of you to suggest placemats... I'm afraid it would scrape the bottom of the dishes and also the silverware would end up scratched once it was placed on the yarn.

Also, this is trained attack yarn! It might EAT the silverware!

If you'd like a sample of this yarn you can PM me and I'll send you a bit... or perhaps you'd like a Fugly visit!

Thanks for your kind suggestion. Befor Fug was "born" I was debating car floor mats, a tire cover for the back of my Land Rover, door mats... This stuff is pretty rank... you really wouldn't want to put it on a table near food!

...and the legend of the Fug lives on, and on, and on.....

Paulette, you definitely are going to have to write that book! Except instead of just a chapter, the saga will be the book! Let's see; "Travels and Travails of the Fug-Man" or "Rust Deli's around the World" or "Fuggie-boo-boo's Vacation Guide" or "From Fugly to Fugster: The Story of the Fabled Yarn Basket Booger B. Fugly" :rofl

Hey you never know what people will buy. There was a listing last week that said Dirty White Yarn and I myself have bought a box of what was pictured as a really pretty pink babyacrylic yarn on cones and it came and was very dirty and bland cotton. I brushed it off as best I could and put it up for sale on ebay and have sold all the cones by being honest and saying it has lots of dark smudges on it. Got great feedback for it--people loved it!!

I happened to run across these links and thought folks on this thread might enjoy them.

Scroll down past the ads on the first one to see the fugly bags (which I kinda like some of them)

http://www.purseblog.com/styles/fugly-bags/

Aaaaaah, my eyes, my eyes! :P

Here he is guarding my tips and pipettes from any lab mates who might try to snatch them.... don't worry we only lost a few pipettes due to his eating habits!

th_100_0270.jpg

I SEE A BOTTLE MARKED "WASTE" IN THE BACKGROUND....FUG DIDN'T EAT BIOLOGICAL WASTE, DID HE? He might turn into a "Super Fug", like a comic book hero...:eek

"....and another one bites the dust!..." :welcome

Hi, Batty, welcome to the Fug thread - where we follow with bated breath and delighted anticipation the continuing adventures of Booger B. Fugly, Yarn Basket Traveler Extraordinaire!

(that is, when folks who we won't mention by name, but who's initials are ppl, get around to posting the pics... :embar)

......I SEE A BOTTLE MARKED "WASTE" IN THE BACKGROUND....FUG DIDN'T EAT BIOLOGICAL WASTE, DID HE? He might turn into a "Super Fug", like a comic book hero...:eek

Hmmm, Peter Parker turned into Spiderman, with spider's powers.... :think What do you suppose the FugMan's powers would be (gotta involve super fug in some way, of course)? Or his superpowered identity? And what kind of costume could possibly be sufficient as a disguise?

Or would he be a supervillain? :eek (They're usually more entertaining)

The Incredible Fug?

SuperFug?

Yugi-Fug?

FuglyMan?

The Beige Fugster (now, there's an old reference :D, and who'd be his sidekick?)

With the personality Fug already has, he'd probably turn into a supervillain! :2eek He's already got a very mischevious side. He already terrorizes cats, eats rusty metal... these are all kinda villainish! :scared I can just see that the supervillain would make him resistant to the electrical shock.. he could eat the powerstations out for breakfast the bridges for lunch.... :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

What if he turned supervillain and got loose in New York City... all those bridges. :eek Poor citizens the city would nearly close down! I can almost see the headlines now:

The Fug Goblin Attacks Again: City in Darkness, Bridges Eaten, Citizens do not leave your homes.. unless you live in trailers

Well have no worries of super-villian fug. The waste is nothing hazardous, maybe somewhat cancerous to humans (like most things in the world) but no harm done to fugs. In fact the waste just adds some seasoning to the plastic tips and other snacks he found in there.

I believe I will be sending fug man off to his next auntie in just a few days. I need to print some pictures to put in his scrapbook and pack him in. He was very well behaved and I only lost a couple of pieces of silverware in the process.

Is that ME???? Am I next??? Yippee. :clap I can't wait to meet the guy. I think he is going to travel up north with us so he can see many states all at once. :D I better start getting prepared.

A heads up, can you please pm me before you send him on his way so I can verify the address? We are moving out of the house next Monday and Tuesday and then my house is no longer mine on Wednesday. :cry I will have a new address for a week after that and then we start our drive up north on the 28th. (less than two weeks. :eek )

Yes, Lavelle26, you're next, you lucky Auntie you! Fug can help you move. He's stronger than he looks. He once lifted Paulette's couch to get to her cat!

12_6_18.gif Have you seen him do this, pplcrochets & xmaystarx? 7_1_106v.gifHis morning routine.

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb093&pp=ZNxdm415DHUS

unless you live in trailers

:lol:lol:lol

Lucky Fug, he gets to have some acetone-seasoned lab tools and then he can enjoy cajun-flavored rusty bolts! He is getting a really wide range of culinary experiences.

Shelle, just how does he lift heavy furniture? With his "tentacles" that you gave him with those fashionable yarns? I would like to see him in action!

Okay, it has dawned on me this morning that it might take me some time to prepare Fug's food. His feeding rituals might be a bit more barbaric than I am used to.

Just how does one add RUST to nuts and bolts??? I have the nuts and bolts, but not the rust. I would hate to have the Fug leave his Aunite's house telling everyone her food was BLAND!!!!:yuck

Okay, it has dawned on me this morning that it might take me some time to prepare Fug's food. His feeding rituals might be a bit more barbaric than I am used to.

Just how does one add RUST to nuts and bolts??? I have the nuts and bolts, but not the rust. I would hate to have the Fug leave his Aunite's house telling everyone her food was BLAND!!!!:yuck

Put them in a bowl of water out in the sun till he gets there... I have 4 kids, I can destroy anything through their "education" to me...

Put them in a bowl of water out in the sun till he gets there... I have 4 kids, I can destroy anything through their "education" to me...

Perfect...will start "cooking" his meals now so they are prepared in time for his arrival dinner. :D

:rofl :rofl :rofl:laughroll:haha:rofl "Pictures are worth a thousand words" Shelle, thanks for that "vivid" picture. I will definately be putting up my wooden things. Hope he doesn't go for the furniture. I guess most of the trip he will be in the car so we are safe there.

:rofl :rofl :rofl:laughroll:haha:rofl "Pictures are worth a thousand words" Shelle, thanks for that "vivid" picture. I will definately be putting up my wooden things. Hope he doesn't go for the furniture. I guess most of the trip he will be in the car so we are safe there.

SAFE IN THE CAR?????? Are you CRAZY????? He might EAT the car! Nuts and bolts are his very favorites... wooden things just give him splinters in his poopies! Now make sure he wears his seatbelt... not for his safety but for yours!

Hey, ya'all remember my lovely daughter Ah Leah's mohawk at camp? (post #436)

Well, she's back from being a camp counselor and arrived in Washington DC this morning to start her sophomore year of college, a new job, living with a new family, and look at her now:

Moi005-1.jpg

I couldn't believe how gorgeous she looked getting ready to take a Red Eye flight from L.A. to DC! If anybody is familiar with the group the Cranberries, do you see a resemblence to Dolores O'Riordan - more from "To the Faithful Departed" where her hair is darker, not "No Need to Argue" where it's died blonde!.... just a thought...

Oh, and the skinny waif in the background is my younger daughter Tara who cannot resist a camera!

I've spent the last three nights laughing my brains out and staying up way too late reading about Fugly and his brothers. :rofl You guys are hysterical....so glad I found this place!

I'm about 90% sold on trying a {snarl?} of the Fugly Yarn. Now if I can just find a hook that won't fall to pieces in fright.. :scared

Is there still room for another Fug Auntie? I'd love to bring him to my public library in NJ - he'd be my secret weapon agains the kids that drive me nuts all day(they go back to school on Sept. 6th!!). I can picture their reaction...ahhh, the screams... :devil

Archived