Ugly yarn help

funkyreporter

Question

Okay. Always one to want to try something new ~ and thinking I might being doing something moderately helpful (that I would benefit from) ~ I bought quite a bit of yarn (about $50 worth) from a not-to-be-named source on eBay. It is advertized as 'bleached recycled raw silk yarn' something-or-another. I have owned garments made of raw silk and thought I knew what raw silk was.

Well, well. This stuff is apparently made from what they sweep up off the floor when making other garments in Nepal (they said something to that effect) and the ladies spin it into yarn. So far, so good. So it arrives and I must say this is quite the ugliest yarn I have ever seen. I was going to tea dye it, but it is already the color of uck. It is coarse and gritty, thick and thin, really spun tight so you have to find a way to dangle it literally about every two feet or it starts winding up on itself. I did a swatch about 25 chains long (had to use an N hook, even though parts of it 'skinny-down' to thread size) and then turned it and did a double crochet, chain one, skip a stitch, double crochet thing. It looks suspiciously like a fishnet... and not in a good way. Like a ropey, been dragging behind the boat, got barnacles on it fishnet.

I have quite a bit of this stuff - I think over 1,000 yards, maybe 2,000 - two bags. Any suggestions on what to do with this stuff? It comes with a disclaimer that due to the 'delicate nature of the yarn' (yeah, right) it should not be made into a garment that is to be 'worn roughly'. So an actual fishnet is apparently out of the question.

I will await the pattern suggestions to come flooding in...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As requested, the traveling Yugly itinerary as of page 64, compiled by mommy Shelle!:

Okay, here's the list of Aunties. Please let me know if I've left anyone out. Or if you want to be added to the list.

1. pplcrochets *

2. xmaystarx *

3. melissacrochets *

4. andip470 *

5. tlisley *current home*

6. Kathome

7. sakurasaku

8. Ladycrochets

9. squish52

10. LadyKindred

11. lisaizme

12. uh-oh I forgot to write down the 'ville name, but it's Anna N. (PM me)

13. anu_paradox

14. hischildsindi

• Answers 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.....Your family must think you're nuts and I'm sure they're saving all of these photos and testimonials for the committment hearing!....
Why do you think I made sure my dh took some of the photos? I may go, but I won't go quietly!

.....Please tell me Fug wasn't giving the one finger salute to other drivers in traffic (we call it the California salute - I don't know if it's a national thing) .......
Yup, just another one of the Fug's many talents; apparently it's been imported from California as the other driver appeared to understand perfectly. Actually, this picture was taken afterwards, when I was no longer trying to avoid a serious incident. The Fug and I later had a talk about antagonizing people with several tons of heavy metal projectile at their disposal. :eek

.....I am so glad you had fun with him and sorry that you were stressing so bad about this. It's like putting together your child's baby book! You'll get around to it... or not... we'll love you just the same and you and Fug will always have the memories!!!!:hug .......
Wouldn't have traded it for the world. My kid still doesn't have his baby book, either, so the Fug is in good company. I only have the one child :think

The fug has arrived safe and sound!! I've introduced him to Brutus the cat, they seemed to like each other enough and padme the kitten is sleeping so they will be introduced later. I love all the goodies that came with him too. I will be sure to put some pics in his journal. I can't wait to get him around, think the boyfriend will mind if we take him out to eat with us tonight?!?!:manyheart:clap:clap:clap:clap

The fug has arrived safe and sound!! I've introduced him to Brutus the cat, they seemed to like each other enough and padme the kitten is sleeping so they will be introduced later. I love all the goodies that came with him too. I will be sure to put some pics in his journal. I can't wait to get him around, think the boyfriend will mind if we take him out to eat with us tonight?!?!:manyheart:clap:clap:clap:clap

Umm, keep an eye on Brutus... and the sleeping kitten (please)!

I think your boyfriend will be tickled to have him out to dinner with you - especially a REALLY NICE place... when you pull out little Fug and ask for seating for three and no extra place settings but three extra silverware settings... yeah, that's gonna go well:P

YAY! The Fugster is on his way! I am so excited!!

Patricia, don't sweat the small stuff... and btw, it's ALL small stuff!

Glad to hear your funk is clearing. I've experienced that myself. Take care of you.

Love the train pic btw... very cool!!

Thanks Traci, I'm kind of laughing at myself for taking things so seriously - but you know how it is; hindsight is 20/20, but at the time you're usually legally blind :lol

Trains - now that's a fun topic - my son asked me what my favorite toys were at his age and was horrified to find out that I didn't eat, breath and sleep trains as a child. You could tell he thought I had a deprived childhood......Fortunately, he is sure that we can make up for it now that I'm older.....

I love those pictures of Fug. He looks like he is having a blast on his tour. Wow!!! What a lucky little guy.

I know I am on the list already to host Fug here in Louisiana, but I thought I would mention that I am moving in 3 weeks to Baltimore so I don't know if he will make it here in time. I really wanted to see how he would react the Cajun spices added to his "regular" fare of steel. Oh well. Is there any way of knowing when he will be visiting?

I love those pictures of Fug. He looks like he is having a blast on his tour. Wow!!! What a lucky little guy.

I know I am on the list already to host Fug here in Louisiana, but I thought I would mention that I am moving in 3 weeks to Baltimore so I don't know if he will make it here in time. I really wanted to see how he would react the Cajun spices added to his "regular" fare of steel. Oh well. Is there any way of knowing when he will be visiting?

Is that Fug a hoot or what??? What a camera hog!!!

Our dear Shelle has the master list of Fug hosts-in-waiting, so you should PM her and find out an eta on experiencing THE FUG! Also if it is going to be more than three weeks she'd need to update your address... just in case, perhaps you could make some of that Cajun spice 'to-go'...

It's okay with me! I might as well wait till I go to Japan, so the little Fugman can see New York City AND Tokyo.

Hmmm, that means I'd better start getting serious about saving money for flights to Japan. I was thinking some time in the spring next year. So, yes, you can put me waaaay down the list. :D

Thanks, you're sweet. Wow - Japan! That little Fug is such a lucky guy!! He's a real globe-trotter. If no one objects, I'll PM Lavelle26's address to xmaystarx so Fug can visit Louisiana next. K? Then after that, I have Melissa Crochets next. Does that jive with ya'll? :hook

Thanks so much Shelle for bumping me up on the list. I am hoping he can get here in time to travel with us on our journey up north. That might actually be scary though since we will have the 17 month old and our cat in the car...wonder how to keep everyone peaceful...will have to think of something.

Is that Fug a hoot or what??? What a camera hog!!!

Our dear Shelle has the master list of Fug hosts-in-waiting, so you should PM her and find out an eta on experiencing THE FUG! Also if it is going to be more than three weeks she'd need to update your address... just in case, perhaps you could make some of that Cajun spice 'to-go'...

Ah yes...the plans are already in the works to bring loads and loads of Tony's with us up north. I hear they are lacking in things of a spicy nature. (Cajun spicy that is...which is different from other "spicy".

I will get pics up of Fug soon, hopefully tonight. He is doing quite well. Helped out in the lab, went to the beach and I even think he is starting to be nice to cats and not eating them! My big fat brutus put him in line I think. When do you need him by lavelle, so I can plan the rest of his visit?

I would need him by the 23rd at my current address. After that I will have a different address, but for him to see Louisiana, I would need him no later than the 1st. Well, actually the last day in August since we leave bright and early on the 1st.

I can hardly wait to meet him. I have so many ideas of things to do...ahhh...this will be fun. I have some junky neighbours who leave their trailers on a dead end street next to my house. These trailers have plenty of rust and other yummy fug food...think he would like to take care of this for me??? :D

Ok, here are some shots of what the fug man has been up to this week:

First we have him enjoying some pizza on the beach after a hard day's work!

th_100_0272.jpg

Next, he is supervising the production of millions of copies of DNA going on in the machines he is in between at the lab.

th_100_0271.jpg

Here he is guarding my tips and pipettes from any lab mates who might try to snatch them.... don't worry we only lost a few pipettes due to his eating habits!

th_100_0270.jpg

And finally, this is big boy Brutus trying to get the Fug in line and start respecting kitties rather than eating them. So far he seems to be doing okay, with supervision of course.

th_100_0264.jpg

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!! A true designer at heart: :badidea add poop brown Disco fringe! Maybe some neon pink Fun Fur pom-pom tie downs could be incorporated... whatcha think?

:cheer

Okay, okay, I know I'm late, but I had to comment, if you still want neon pink fun fur pom-pom ties, I have some very (not quite neon, but close) pink fun fur... willing to make pom-poms and ship to where ever Fugly is now.

Oh and I nearly need a diaper for this thread! You guys are a hoot!

:cheer

Okay, okay, I know I'm late, but I had to comment, if you still want neon pink fun fur pom-pom ties, I have some very (not quite neon, but close) pink fun fur... willing to make pom-poms and ship to where ever Fugly is now.

Oh and I nearly need a diaper for this thread! You guys are a hoot!

Oh, that could be arranged... or how would you like a VIST WITH FUG!!!! You could make him a little Fun Fur pom-pom blankie bed!!!! It'll be fun!

XMAYSTARX, Those are some great pictures! I can't believe Fug is so well-behaved around all that yummy looking equipment... but that CAT looks like it's on steroids! Does it hang around the lab, too? Does it glow in the dark and double as a flashlight during blackouts? I think Fug is definitely going to be, um, persuaded to be nice to little kitty-kitties from now on!:eek

And did Fug eat the pizza..... or the box?

I happened to run across these links and thought folks on this thread might enjoy them.

Scroll down past the ads on the first one to see the fugly bags (which I kinda like some of them)

http://www.purseblog.com/styles/fugly-bags/

The second one seems to talk more about celebrities.. or those who might be celebrities...

http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/

enjoy

Oh, that could be arranged... or how would you like a VIST WITH FUG!!!! You could make him a little Fun Fur pom-pom blankie bed!!!! It'll be fun!

I read and laughed my pj's off until page 20 last night, to my neighbors dismay I am sure. :lol I was thinking what kind of adventures Fugs and I could have if he came to Iowa for a visit. Has he been to Iowa yet on his adventure trip? If he's still trippin', I'd truly enjoy a trippy little visit with the Fug.

*psssst* don't tell Fug, but I work for an animal health manufacturer, so I could be sure he gets his shots, so if he would bite anyone, they'd not get tetanus :eek (from his eating all the rusty nails) or rabies :eek either.

I would make sure Fug had a good ol' time and some souveniers from here if he (it) came for a visit. :cheer

Oh Fug had no interest in the pizza of course. He dined on the rocks, sea glass, and all other sorts of pollution on this not so nice beach. Let me tell you, he was an excellent sea gull repellent. They very annoyingly stare at you while you eat hoping for some scraps but Fug man showed them who is boss but after one taste decided seagulls were not his favorite snack. :no

ROFL... I just get these mental images I can't shake sometimes... I was thinking we should start a group called the "Tattooed Fugly Lovin' Hookers"... If people don't already wonder about us they will then!!!:eek

:2rock Oh baby count me in. :clap I have 2 tattoos and for the 2 days I've known and realized Fug exists, I already am in love. :bheart And I've been a 'hooker' most of my life, just only of the legal kind and no I dont live in Nevada. :lol

You are so on the list for a visit from Fug! You sound like you'd make a devoted Auntie, so you're IN!!! I've got your address and you're now on "the list". Now doesn't that just make your day? :yes

Archived