Crochet Old timers

Ok guys,

I'll gladly give up President position to those of you with more years under your belt. I just thought it was funny , to think of me as an Old Timer .

Sounds a little like a 49-er ...

It was probably about 1968 -1970, sometime in that time frame that I learned . My gosh, that sounds like a LIFETIME ago !

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh it's so good to know about all the other "grey hairs":grandma out there! I started crocheting in 1965 when I was 14! I used to love the McCalls Needlework and Crafts magazines and made lots of dresses! Can you believe I made a red, white and blue maxi with a granny square border? I actually had the nerve to wear it on a date! It was dinner at the home of the son of a hot-shot general. When I went to use the bathroom, the toilet paper roll holder crashed to the floor ( it had been hanging by a screw) and I emerged red-faced to see a whole room of hoi poloi staring at me. :embar I ditched that dress the next day!:yes

I never really thought about how long I'd been crocheting. It was in the early/mid 70's when my Grammy taught me. I was maybe 8-9 years old. I just turned 40 this January, so put me down for 30+ years. :D

Edited to add - boy does that make me feel old, saying I've been doing something for 30 years.:lol

:blush:think:lol Well, whether I want to admit age or what, I started doing the chain thing from the back of a chair back in the late 40's. I am not sure when I started with a hook but am sure it was in the early 50's. I started crochet and knit about the same time so it has been (too many?) years for me but am still going and loving it.

I learned when I was about eight in 1960, some 46 years ago. My mother gave me a ball of yarn about the size of a softball and taught me to chain. I chained the whole ball, frogged and did it again several times. Then she taught me other stitches. I'm sure she thought I'd loose interest, but boy was she wrong!

th_Poncho4.jpg

Well I don't wanna be president. I'll just be the ceo of the "Die with a hook in my hand" club! My mother started me when I was six which makes me 51 years with a hook in my hand! I figure I got a good 25 more years to go if I can remember that long! :lol

I learned while I was a teenager back in the mid-70s....you figure it out! So, yes, I guess I would be an 'old-timer', 30+ years.....which really sucks!!! :rofl

I guess I'm a just a lowly newbie-old-timer! I've been crocheting since my best friend taught me in the 4th grade (1988), so that makes only 18 years.... and you know what's crazy? She's still (one of) my best girlfriend(s) and she still crochets too :eek!

~K

I started crocheting when I was 6 years old, and have been doing it steadily since then. I started out with thread and am now using WW, primarily because my eyesight won't let me see the thread pieces anymore. I guess that makes me a charter member in the "die with a hook in my hand" club.

In fact my son once remarked that the day I quit crocheting would be the day they would bury me.

... I guess that makes me a charter member in the "die with a hook in my hand" club.

In fact my son once remarked that the day I quit crocheting would be the day they would bury me.

Ladies, I think we have our new leader. :nworthy:lol

Oh man.... I started to crochet when I was around 9.. 39 now shhhhhhh going to be 40 in june... so that is a little over 30 years... OMG time few by.... :eek

:hookSince I was 11 and am going to be 48 in June so that is 37 years! I can't remember the first thing besides chains that I made but I have crocheted something every year since I learned how. Through college I made scarves and mittens and afghans, after I got married I added baby things and sweaters for my grandmothers, and doilies scattered in there too. Boy it's amazing when you think of all the things you've made! I think I only have a couple things I made that I kept for myself! LOL Both of my daughters crochet now, one is 23 and the other is 16. And last month I taught our 4-H club to do the Granny's daughter motifs.....can't wait to see how many they each did at this months meeting! I'm proud to be a member of the die with a hook in my hand club!:cheer

• 2 weeks later...

I've been crocheting since I was 7. I'm 45. There was an elderly lady in my neighborhood who had the patience to teach a leftie. I'd sit on her piano bench in her living room, she in her much more comfy upholstered rocker, drapes and blinds open to flood the room with natural light, then she had me face her and mirror her hands. Her name was Mrs. Roth and her fingers were knobby and arthritic - I think she was in her 80's when I was little. She would also make braided rugs, sew up a storm on a tredle machine, grow beautiful flowers that her equally elderly husband would feed coffee grinds and crushed eggshells to, and bake cookies for anyone who came to her door.

I made a lot of potholders and dish cloths when I started out, then my grandma gave me some dime store hankies, dresser scarves, and pillowcases to do edgings on.

My grandma made elaborate tableclothes and fine threadwork motifs. I used to marvel at her ability to do such delicate work with such a tiny steel hook. She never taught any of her 3 daughters or innumerable granddaughters how to crochet...hmmm. She never bought patterns, but she had a superb memory. My mom said she and her sisters would go to the local Woolworth's with grandma and grandma would read a pattern book, spend a lot of time looking at the finished work, then go home and start making it. Does anyone do that these days?

I stopped crocheting in college and got into spinning/weaving for a couple of years, then went back to crocheting. I've done 100's of afghans and baby blankets in my time.

I always admired people who could do clothing. I had one auntie who knit the most beautiful sweaters and made my Barbie a beautiful wardrobe - Angora stoles, a peach evening gown with a thread of sparkle through it. It paid to be the youngest grandchild, neice, child. I got a new outfit or two every season from her. All wool, very itchy! No self-respecting knitter EVER used acrylic yarn for something as splendid as her creations! She didn't crochet, tho! And she didn't have the patience to teach a leftie how to knit, either, so there's a gap in my education still! I had to learn patterns and elaborate stitches on my own.

Since my stroke, I grit my teeth a lot and wish I could remember everything that I've forgotten. I make more copies than I used to, tear out more than I want to admit, and do a lot more scribblings and notes to get to the final product. I find when I get frustrated, I mark my spot, take a break, a nice long deep breath, and start again when I'm not grumpy.

My Grandma taught me about 1968, I was 7. First thing I did on my own was a granny square purse, I was so proud. I think of her when I pick up my hook. I miss her...I know she would be happy to see I'm still doing what she loved.

• 2 weeks later...

OH MY! I was married in 72, and my DH was in the Navy. When they went on their WestPacs (cruised to the Western Pacific, mostly outside of Vietnam), the Navy's blankets would either cover his toes or his shoulders, but not both. He's 6'6" tall, and he USED TO BE skinny! So some older lady, don't remember name or what she looked like or where I met her, taught me one stitch (guess you'd call it a dc cross stitch, maybe?) and I made DH an afghan long enough for him. Added to it after the war years, so it now covers our king-sized bed. I think they only had Red Heart then, or maybe that's all I remember. Anyway, took a break to take care of kids, then started again as they reached almost leaving home age, to make them both 'ghans for warding off homesickness. Then took another break, and came back to it last year. So the answer to the question is - a long time, yet not so long if you figure in all the breaks. Going strong again, and working on clothing now. And yes, I've been married to an awesome man 33+ years:c9

OH MY! I was married in 72, and my DH was in the Navy. When they went on their WestPacs (cruised to the Western Pacific, mostly outside of Vietnam), the Navy's blankets would either cover his toes or his shoulders, but not both. He's 6'6" tall, and he USED TO BE skinny! So some older lady, don't remember name or what she looked like or where I met her, taught me one stitch (guess you'd call it a dc cross stitch, maybe?) and I made DH an afghan long enough for him. Added to it after the war years, so it now covers our king-sized bed. I think they only had Red Heart then, or maybe that's all I remember. Anyway, took a break to take care of kids, then started again as they reached almost leaving home age, to make them both 'ghans for warding off homesickness. Then took another break, and came back to it last year. So the answer to the question is - a long time, yet not so long if you figure in all the breaks. Going strong again, and working on clothing now. And yes, I've been married to an awesome man 33+ years:c9
I also survived a few westpacs. My Hubby was on Tenders. I crocheted a lot while he was gone to keep from going crazy and to fill the needs of two little girls. clothes, toys, afghans, and whatever else I could think of. Crocheting helped me keep my sanity then.

I learned how to crochet I think around 1975/76, can't remember when I started. Must be the memory thing kicking in, what was the question again:think :D

Well lets see I really feel like the baby here right bout now. I started when I was pregnant with the first baby when I was 16 and he is now 15 so that would make me so much the baby here lol. I have made more afghans, scarves, dishclothes, doilies and hats. In the past two years I have started to make more wearables. They are much more interesting and well just wearable:blush Nikki

• 2 weeks later...
:blush I learned to crochet in 1969 :hook from a co-worker who was an excellent teacher. :hug I was 21, married just a year, and now I'm 58, still married to the same man (and still in love!!!! with him!!!! :manyheart ). Crocheting has been a BIG part of my life all these years!

Archived