Crochet Old timers

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

34 yrs.! learned when I was 20 and expecting my first daughter (no ultra-sounds or epidurals back then!:eek ) Gee, that makes me 54! YIKES that sounds old. But trust me, I'm NOT! LOL! :lol

I have been crocheting since I was around 8 that is, oh my, 36 years, i guess that would make me an old timer crocheter, boy I dont feel like an old timer. I remember one of the fist things I make was this silly looking red flower, that I put on a stick and gave to my gram, and god bless her, she had it on her dresser in a little vase up until the time she left us. What a wonderful women she was.

Trish

Guess I am an old timer and proud of it! I started learning from a book, (I still have that book!) at age 17 in 1969. I made my mother in law to be a granny square afghan, I did not know how to sew the ends in, so I made knots all over that thing. I thought it was gorgeous. Many years later when I did divorce the father of my wonderful children because he wanted "open marriage" (had affairs all over the place, duh.....I was dumb!) Well, dear mother in law sent that blanket back to me, in the mail. Just the blanket, by itself, in a box. Not any of the nice jewelry, pearls, or nice things. Just that knotty blanket. :lol

Just curious, thought it'd be a fun question.

How many crochet "old timers" do we have here? You know, those of us who've been crocheting 15, 20, 30 years or more?

I learned when I was 10, in (oooo telling my age!) in 1977.

Guess I am an old timer and proud of it! I started learning from a book, (I still have that book!) at age 17 in 1969. I made my mother in law to be a granny square afghan, I did not know how to sew the ends in, so I made knots all over that thing. I thought it was gorgeous. Many years later when I did divorce the father of my wonderful children because he wanted "open marriage" (had affairs all over the place, duh.....I was dumb!) Well, dear mother in law sent that blanket back to me, in the mail. Just the blanket, by itself, in a box. Not any of the nice jewelry, pearls, or nice things. Just that knotty blanket. :lol

Oh my!!:eek

I think I'd have sent her a thank-you card, "i was so hoping you'd send that back!"

I started crocheting when I was about 10 years old.....now I am nearing 56, so that just might put me into the category of "old-timers". Truthfully, I don't mind being called an old timer.....because with age comes wisdom (or so they say). So all of us "old-timers" should gives ourselves a nice big group hug! :ghug

Well, let me get up out of my rocking chair and scrape my walker across the floor to come answer this post. I am also an old-timer and proud of it !

I learned when I was about 10 or 12 and am now 48, so I am also not only a member, I'm the president of the old timers . Grey hair but no wooden leg , glass eye or hearing aid yet . :lol

I learned sometime in high school, and started to get really obsessed with it in college. Let's say...1987? So that's 19 years. Makes me the baby of the Old Timer's Club, hey? :hook

I must admit I am a definite member of the the Old Timers Club. I have been crocheting since 1964 at the ripe old age of 10. That makes me crocheting for 42 years. :eek Time flys when your having fun. I certainly don't feel like an old timer though, figure me and my hook will be around for a while yet. :hook

Ditto on all cept I am 52 (53 in April). My oldest will be 21 in July--

34 yrs.! learned when I was 20 and expecting my first daughter (no ultra-sounds or epidurals back then!:eek ) Gee, that makes me 54! YIKES that sounds old. But trust me, I'm NOT! LOL! :lol

Well, I guess I get to join this club too! I can't recall exactly when it was, thinking sometime in the late 60's or very early 70's, my mom and I signed up for knit and crochet classes at a little LYS that opened up a block down from our house. I honestly can't even remember what the first crocheted item was that I made. I remember working on a knit stocking cap (which were all the rage back then) and it not coming out too good. :P The Alzheimer's has really set in good because I can't recall much from that era other than the fact that I DID crochet, and took to it over knitting, and I do have subsequent works I've done to prove that I was reasonably good at it too! :lol It's been on and off ever since, with the longest (known) run of crocheting activity being the present. I just turned 49... Watch out, Julie Kay, I just may have to steal that walker from you! :devil

Ditto on all cept I am 52 (53 in April). My oldest will be 21 in July--

well kathy we share same birth month I am two days ahead of ya and my youngest just turned 21 in january. my oldest will be 24 in sept she has no interest in crochet...but I will not give up hope . I have two grand daughters to work on ...lol

Well, let me get up out of my rocking chair and scrape my walker across the floor to come answer this post. I am also an old-timer and proud of it !

I learned when I was about 10 or 12 and am now 48, so I am also not only a member, I'm the president of the old timers . Grey hair but no wooden leg , glass eye or hearing aid yet . :lol

'long as I have my quad-walker and my hook, I'll die happy of old age!

:cheer I know I am not the oldest on this board. I have been crocheting and knitting for 50squillion years, well 57 to be exact. I even remember the very first thing I made and I was so proud.

My Grandmother taught me and I loved that.

:cheer

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Archived